Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

v1 and hotwire

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v1 and hotwire

OK i posted earlier about my cig lighter not working and ive done everything to get it to work and it doesnt. So, ive come to the conclusion that im just going to hotwire the v1 somewhere in my car because i just want the thing in and im tired of fooling with the damn cig lighter. now the question being where can i hotwire the v1 besides the cig lighter. someone please help i just want a radar detector in my car. thanks to anyone that helps
Old May 18, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XxK1LLAxX
OK i posted earlier about my cig lighter not working and ive done everything to get it to work and it doesnt. So, ive come to the conclusion that im just going to hotwire the v1 somewhere in my car because i just want the thing in and im tired of fooling with the damn cig lighter. now the question being where can i hotwire the v1 besides the cig lighter. someone please help i just want a radar detector in my car. thanks to anyone that helps
I think some people were hardwiring to the dome light location.
Old May 18, 2006, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

I hotwired mine to the ignition wire on the HU wire harness.
Old May 18, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

where ever you guys suggest i dont care, the easiest place would be nice but i do not care. someone have a how to on putting it to the dome light or where ever
Old May 18, 2006, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

well, i hardwired to the cig lighter. Do a search for the v1 hardwire threads, and some people discuss wiring it places other than the cig lighter... PM those other guys.
Old May 18, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

I took a black phone cord and hardwired it into the dome light. You will need to borrow a multimeter to figure out your hot and ground location. I don't have a write up on it yet but it's pretty easy to do if you spend a little time troubleshooting.

From what I remember, I used the two inner wires from the phone cord and soldered one to the positive plate (12 v power plate) and the other to any ground location on the dome light. You won't use the two outer wires of the phone cord so just cut them off. Test the wire locations with the radar detector plugged in to see if you placed them correctly. If you get the two wires backwards... the V1 or X50 radar detector won't work... so just swap the wires around. It won't blow up your V1 or anything so don't worry if you get the two wires mixed up when you test it out. If you can figure out which wire is the hot one with your borrowed multimeter... that would be preferred obviously.

Once you have the wires soldered correctly, run the wire forward between the headliner and windshield (if you haven't done this already) and presto man. You can keep the radar detector plugged continuously if you want and it will provide constant power when driving and it will shut off automatically after you park (after about 5 minutes). Then, once you come back to the car to unlock it or open the door... power is supplied to the radar detector again, ready to go.

I'll edit this post later once I can get some pictures of what I did exactly and I'll have more detail. All it takes is a phone cord, and a soldering iron really. It's virtually free. It's neat and tidy once finished... no cords hanging around and it places the radar detector right up next to the rear view mirror providing the best detection coverage/visibility for the radar detector.

-Russ
Old May 18, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a write-up for this in the how-to section...
Old May 18, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Simplest of all is to buy a Pep Boys fuse adapter and plug the 12V power lead into the adapter, then plug the adapter into the rear wiper fuse socket (ignition switched power source). That's what I did. Works like a charm and is completely reversible.
Old May 18, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would wire it to the HU or install a switch and wire it up to that...