Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Coolant leaking from overflow reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2003, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leaking from overflow reservoir?

Hi All,

Old time DSM-er here with a one-month old Blue EVO VIII with 3000 very fun miles on it. Hi.

I have one annoying little problem with my car, and I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing, or has any ideas. A search didn't reveal anything, unfortunately.

I have small bits of coolant leaking out from the top cap on the reservoir tank. Not anything more than drips, but it's annoying because it makes a mess, and I get to smell coolant inside the car now and then.

As nearly as I can tell, coolant is sloshing around inside the tank during handling, and somehow leaking past the rubber gasket and working in-between the lip of the tank and the cap. It then works its way out and down the sides of the tank.

Anybody else run into something like this?

Also, I have the "paint stripping behind the rear passenger door" issue like some other people have reported. It will be interesting to see if Mitsu decides to do anything about it. FWIW, it looks like the door on the driver's side sits back behind the fender a bit, while the passenger side is perfectly flush.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

if you mean engine coolant, i havent seen this in mine. if you mean the washer fluid for the intercooler, then yes, it has and overflow, that if you overfill it it will spill out the side.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:15 PM

Yep, I do mean engine coolant - looking at my post again I realize I wasn't clear about that.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:32 AM

sounds like its boiling over and the overflow tank isnt holding it all.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:17 AM

If that were the case, wouldn't it just dump out the overflow tube? Seems like that would be an easier path than pushing its way past the gasket and under the cap. In any case, if that's what's happening, it will be a self-correcting problem as the extra coolant disposes of itself.

If it were boiling over, that would indicate an improper factory coolant mix, wouldn't it? Maybe I should have the dealer check that...
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:01 PM

Okay, I'll officially add this one to the "don't worry about it" file. It's so easy to be paranoid with a new car.

Thanks.