Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Evo for me?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Evo for me?

HI guys,

I've been on this forum a few years back when I was shopping for a new car.
I really really loved the 2003 Evo, but the harsh highway ride was too much for me.
So, now my lease is up on my 3 series BMW.
I got a chance to drive an Evo with all season Conti tires and it was very nice.
I had suspected that going to some high performance street tires would mellow the ride quite a bit, and it did.

So, now I'm looking at the Evo again. I found a new one for a great price with the SSL package, which I do want.
My question is how much different is the 2005 Evo from the 2006 Evo?

I don't plan on modding, much. The power and handling are phenominal on this car as well as the STI and I can't see wanting to do much to it, maybe a nice sounding non droning exhaust.

BTW, does anyone lease the Evo?
Thanks for any info you can give.
Old May 19, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

If you go SSL, the interior is much the same between the VIII and IX (except for the IX's CF dashboard trim, darker steering wheel and metal-covered pedals). If not, the IX's dark "suede" seats are vastly nicer than the VIII's hideous blue ones.

The engine and turbo on the IX are significantly more powerful.

Leasing an Evo is almost as expensive as buying; just not worth it. The money factor is obscene. (And believe me, I researched that exact issue for a few months.)

I would get a new IX if I were you; they're making great deals on them. Just use South Coast Mitsubishi's prices as the benchmark. (See their vendor threads.) I love my SSL IX.

Last edited by Rod Munch; May 19, 2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old May 19, 2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rod Munch
If you go SSL, the interior is much the same between the VIII and IX (except for the IX's CF dashboard trim, darker steering wheel and metal-covered pedals). If not, the IX's dark "suede" seats are vastly nicer than the VIII's hideous blue ones.

The engine and turbo on the IX are significantly more powerful.

Leasing an Evo is almost as expensive as buying; just not worth it. The money factor is obscene. (And believe me, I researched that exact issue for a few months.)

I would get a new IX if I were you; they're making great deals on them. Just use South Coast Mitsubishi's prices as the benchmark. (See their vendor threads.) I love my SSL IX.
Thanks for the info.
I looked for the price, but I can't find them. Can you link it for me?

I actually found a 2005 with the SSL package in the color I like.
The price still isn't as low as I would like it to be considering it's an older model and the IX has all the new advancements.
In 2003 I was offered an Evo at $500 below invoice. I don't see a lot of Evo's in the dealerships these days. There are a lot of Sti's and their going for at $1000 under invoice in my area.
Old May 19, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

South Coast sells for dealer cost. See https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=198699&page=1

Depending upon the price, buying a new VIII may be a raw deal because it's already depreciated one year in the blue books. It's also noticeably less powerful and responsive, at least according to many posters here. (I have not cross-driven them.) But if you find one you really like with a truly great price ....

Last edited by Rod Munch; May 19, 2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old May 19, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

New IX
Old May 19, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Word.

One other thought: You will see that quite a few posters here are pining to upgrade to a IX and a few have even done so. This suggests to me that if you do get an VIII instead, you could possibly wind up with some buyer's remorse.

(Just my opinion; you should of course do what's right for you.)

Last edited by Rod Munch; May 19, 2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old May 19, 2006, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey man, I bought my '05 SSL when '06s were already on the ground because of the deal I got. I have no buyer's remorse. I did put a IX front bumper on after I was involved in a hit an run though. If the deal is right and you like the car, go for it.
Old May 19, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, and I don't mean to be a IX snob. The VIII is largely the same and if the price is right, it could be perfect. I am just trying to throw out all the factors relevant to the decision.

Last edited by Rod Munch; May 19, 2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old May 19, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think you can lease an Evo, but I might be wrong.....
Old May 19, 2006, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

South Coast told me they could do it, but the monthly payments would be about the same as buying. My local dealer concurred. As did my countless searches on this forum and Google.

(As I said, the money factor is obscene.)
Old May 19, 2006, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IX's interior in the regular IX model look better than the VIII's...you should take a look at a IX (South Holland Mitsu had a GG MR a month ago don't know if they sold it yet) and make your decision afterwards esp if that place that has that SSL is overcharging quite a bit...There was a scooby dealership selling an 05 silver for 29K new a few months ago, but that was lowest I was able to see a brand new 05...
Old May 19, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GR-VIII
I got a chance to drive an Evo with all season Conti tires and it was very nice.vvI had suspected that going to some high performance street tires would mellow the ride quite a bit, and it did.
Did you mean to say "low performance all-season tires"? Contis are not high performance street tires. The stock Advans that came on your 03 were ultra high performance, which makes the ride a little harsher and noisier. All-seasons take a lot of the handling bite out of the Evo and really should only be used for Winter purposes.
Old May 22, 2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Did you mean to say "low performance all-season tires"? Contis are not high performance street tires. The stock Advans that came on your 03 were ultra high performance, which makes the ride a little harsher and noisier. All-seasons take a lot of the handling bite out of the Evo and really should only be used for Winter purposes.
No, I mean to say "high performance".
The Conti Extreme are rated as a high performance all season tire.
I run Pirelli P-zero's all seasons on my 325i and they are high performance as well for an all season. I run them in the summer as well and they are excellent.

The stock Advans are beyond even being "ultra" high performance. They are near being a race tire given the excellent sport performance and low mileage.
The Advans have what feels like steel sidewalls, great for performance, but no so good on the daily road.

To each his own. I like the EVO, but it's ride is awful. That's why I was happy to test drive an Evo with more realistic tires and it rode great.
The Conti's are good tires for all season. They rate better than my Pirelli's in the snow, but not as well in all around performance. My 325i is RWD, so those tires on an EVO would be just fine in the Chicago winters.

Yes, I know of the sacrifices of summer only vs. all seasons. For my needs, all seasons work better as I don't need all the capability of the Advans, nor do I want that ride.

Last edited by GR-VIII; May 22, 2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old May 22, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

i'll throw in my two cents here...

i put on kumho ecsta asx "ultra high performance" tires to replace my advans (because they have no grip in even cool temperatures - and i learned that the hard way). anyway, the kumho's are nowhere near the grip and stability level of the advan's. it's almost a night and day difference. that said, i don't miss how the advan's got seriously progressively louder with wear, or how rough they were for daily driving, but in good weather... man i miss the grip.
Old May 22, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well just as an example of power the ix's are making, shiv just tuned 2 IXs with nothing but an exhaust to the tune of 296whp on a dyno dynamics.

(thats alot of power fyi)