Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Comparing Different Dynos..

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comparing Different Dynos..

All:

I can't find any literature on the use of the different dynos (dynapak, dynojet, and dyno dynamics). I'm trying to compare if you get a dynojet reading, what would it be on a dynapak?

Thanks,

-M
Old May 19, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's no use in trying to compare, because there is no direct comparison between dynos. Hell, even Dynojets don't all read the same, so you can really only go by trap speeds. Some people say Dynapacks read lower than Dynojets, but I've seen a guy put down 10 more whp on a local Dynapack than on a local Dynojet with the same setup within a few weeks. Things like correction factor also skew things.

Get your trap speed, then you know approximately what you make on a Dynojet (uncorrected).
Old May 19, 2006, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
There's no use in trying to compare, because there is no direct comparison between dynos. Hell, even Dynojets don't all read the same, so you can really only go by trap speeds. Some people say Dynapacks read lower than Dynojets, but I've seen a guy put down 10 more whp on a local Dynapack than on a local Dynojet with the same setup within a few weeks. Things like correction factor also skew things.

Get your trap speed, then you know approximately what you make on a Dynojet (uncorrected).
How do you derive trap speed to dyno numbers when you don't know the weight of the car?

-M
Old May 19, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

You should also know the weight of the car. I get on the scales to see my race weight each time I go to the drag strip (if that track is equipped with one).
Old May 19, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You should also know the weight of the car. I get on the scales to see my race weight each time I go to the drag strip (if that track is equipped with one).
Yea, but there are other variables that aren't accounted for. That formula assumes too many things. I, personally, don't believe it is accurate. You could be going downhill, or the drivetrain loss can't be accurately derived from the 2-wheel formula, etc..

-M
Old May 19, 2006, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Huh? I don't know of any formula. I'm talking about my personal experience of knowing what Dynojet numbers correspond to what trap speeds on the Evo. I never said anything about a formula. This is not an exact science, just like dynos are not an exact science.