Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Forget a Mini Battery Kit.

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2006, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One point of caution: it doesn't look like you've added a fuse anywhere. With those long runs of additional cable, it would be a good idea to put a high-amp breaker (especially on a street car) or fuse as close to the positive terminal of the battery as possible. If you don't, then you run the risk of any accidental break in the insulation causing the battery to explode (especially with 1 gauge cable).

Just some food for thought. Good luck with your project.
Old May 22, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alex4nder
One point of caution: it doesn't look like you've added a fuse anywhere. With those long runs of additional cable, it would be a good idea to put a high-amp breaker (especially on a street car) or fuse as close to the positive terminal of the battery as possible. If you don't, then you run the risk of any accidental break in the insulation causing the battery to explode (especially with 1 gauge cable).

Just some food for thought. Good luck with your project.
Thanks for the input. I'll look into that.
Old May 22, 2006, 10:59 AM

That looks like a clean install. Thanks for the write up and parts list. I went with the Nisei mini battery and am happy with it too.
Old May 22, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

the venting thing is not that much of a problem, i had a relocated kit in my old T/A it was in a battery box no venting problems whatsoever
Old May 22, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

nice install!
Old May 22, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

I've never looked at the included parts on a mini battery kit but I've been running the Hawker Odyssey gels in my RX7 for quite some time. The battery is about $80 and I believe it's what most people use in their kits. So anyone looking for a DIY source for these batteries, try http://www.batterystore.com/Hawker/HawkerMain.htm where they run about $85 with the proper terminals and a metal jacket. FYI.
Old May 22, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

how about a picture of the engine bay
Old May 22, 2006, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

The trunk is part of the passenger compartment, so it is advised to put the battery in a sealed container vented to the outside of the car. I have installed batteries in the trunk before, as long as the cable is big enough (low voltage loss) you won't have a problem, in fact, without the underhood heat, they last longer.
Old May 22, 2006, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Please don't do this if you plan on drag racing ever, because this will disqualify you from even doing test'n'tune unless you have a cutoff switch sticking out of your trunk, and I doubt anyone wants to do that on their regular daily driver. That sort of thing is usually only seen on all-out race cars.

Additionally, you'd need to make sure this will pass tech in SCCA/NASA/BMWCCA depending on what you run, if anything.

For people who never race, I see no downside.
+1

You won't be able to AutoX with that set up. Not to be rude but honestly that set up is pretty ugly and seems pretty dangerous.
Old May 22, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

I did the same thing several months ago, and amazingly, haven't blown up yet! (F the haters)

I put the battery in the back-passenger corner and inside a plastic battery box. The plastic box will contain any spill that might occur without corroding, (unlike metal batt. boxes) and the position is behind the rear axle, which actually reduces the weight on the front end. (like pushing down on the rear bumper of the car...any weight placed behind the rear axle lifts the front) I also installed a big 60 amp fuse...they sell them at Wal-Mart near the car stereo equipment for amp. installs. If that positive cable frays and touches any metal without a fuse, it will weld and short violently, most likely causing a fire.

I did it mostly because I wanted to run the Buschur hard piping, and couldn't run a mini-battery. I sit on the side of the road all day taking photos and listening to the radio. I'd kill a mini-batt in a couple of hours.
Old May 22, 2006, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ just so you know, i believe the factory main fuse at the fusebox is 100amp.
trying to start the car on a cold morning might pop the 60. starters use a lot of current.
Old May 22, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smack_evo
^^^ just so you know, i believe the factory main fuse at the fusebox is 100amp.
trying to start the car on a cold morning might pop the 60. starters use a lot of current.
Thanks, did not check to see what the main fuse was, so I started with the 60amp and keep a 100amp in the car just in case. Made it through winter here in NC with no problems. (figured a hot start would draw more current though)
Old May 23, 2006, 01:07 AM

here's where i put my battery in the boot ,but now i've gone for the AMS mini batt up front ..

Old May 23, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Nisei has a pretty clean set up for a stock battery.

But, I think I still like the mini set up better.
Old May 23, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

I have an Optima Red-Top in the rear driver's side of the trunk and it's a perfect fit.

As for drag racing, you MIGHT be right if the people at the strip actually look in your car. Not every strip requires a safety inspection. Here in Fayetteville you sign a waiver, but no inspections have ever been done on test-n-tune days.

Quick Reply: Forget a Mini Battery Kit.