Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

05 Evo Owners to 06 IX Owners

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What needs to happen(and it will with time/money) is for someone reputable(AMS, Buschur, Turbo Tirx, etc.) to build a high hp IX(700+) with the same shortblock, ems, turbo kit, and supporting mods as an 05 VIII and just compare the dyno sheets. Then everyone can see what effect, if any, MIVEC will have on a high hp car.
Old May 23, 2006, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LetItBreath
What needs to happen(and it will with time/money) is for someone reputable(AMS, Buschur, Turbo Tirx, etc.) to build a high hp IX(700+) with the same shortblock, ems, turbo kit, and supporting mods as an 05 VIII and just compare the dyno sheets. Then everyone can see what effect, if any, MIVEC will have on a high hp car.
Amen brother!!
Old May 23, 2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by newmr
I traded my 05 in for an 06. I found a good deal and I definitely like the mivec and the interior a bit better. I will either stay stock powerwise or TBE and flash and just throw on some MR bilsteins and call it a day.

How much did you get for your trade in and what was the final price for your new EVO? How much did you still owe at the bank? Details please....
Old May 23, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LetItBreath
The net effect will be quicker spool up times that stand out the most.
Old May 24, 2006, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

great, now we just need someone to show that on a dyno chart to prove it.
Old May 24, 2006, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TyEvo8
For current 05 Evo owners, what are your reasons for not upgrading to an IX? If you had the chance and $$ would you?
my reasons are it just isn't worth it financially. from a technical aspect, the 9 is better. not by a ton, but definitely better. but trading in a car that i haven't even had for a year yet for one that is only slightly better? i'm no genius but i'm not that dumb
Old May 24, 2006, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TyEvo8
How much did you get for your trade in and what was the final price for your new EVO? How much did you still owe at the bank? Details please....
I had my car for almost exatly a year. It cost $3,300ish with tax etc. included. I figure I drove a brand new evo for about $275/month and then got a new one with some nice new features and fresh rubber.
Old May 24, 2006, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

The diference in the car's is not woth it to me. I think you could make better use of your money. You will definatly be happier in the end. Think of it this way how much is this going to cost you. Now what could you do with this money. But it is up to you. Good luck.
Old May 24, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

trade in my 05 8 for a 06 9 ? never that. not only would i be taking a hit in the pocket but. realistically how much more am i missing? a few mods here and there would make me even more happy with my 8.
Old May 25, 2006, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

the only issue that i really have with the gsr is the 5 speed. I do a lot of highway driving and going 80 downa highway at 3500 rpms gets a little bit irritating at times. After driving a six speed for a while, i always want to upshift to one higher gear. So, ppretty much the only reason for me to buy a ix mr would be for the six speed. I could just buy a used 8 mr, but i don't like buying used cars. And, the interior is a little bit nicer on the ix. So, i guess i'll just have to see what happens later. I'm still deciding...
Old May 25, 2006, 07:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zgodfathera
I always hear that MIVEC isnt good for big HP #'s! I just cant understand how variable valve timing isnt good @ that Hp level?

Read up on some Mivec threads and ive found that the MIVEC actually promotes earlier spool on high HP IX's....
MIVEC is for low end, VTEC is for high end. They are opposites.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
MIVEC is for low end, VTEC is for high end. They are opposites.
No, they are application specific. Mitsubishi has made plenty of MIVEC equipped engines that are designed to scream on the high end. And Honda has put VTEC on engines designed to be optimized for low to midrange punch. The VTEC in a CR-V isn't designed to be ran out to 7500rpms. We just haven't seen any of Mitsu's high RPM engines stateside, nor are they currently making them anyway.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have yet to see a MIVEC motor with intake cam geared for top end. I have yet to see a DOHC VTEC motor NOT designed for top end. (Delsol 1.6, GSR 1.8, and on and on)
Old May 25, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
I have yet to see a MIVEC motor with intake cam geared for top end.
Like I said, they were never sold here:

http://asia.vtec.net/side/cyborg/
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/info/specs.htm

The Mirage Cyborg/Astii was the answer to the Civic SiR. The FTO GPX/GP Version R was aimed at the Integra Type R, and then there was the Lancer MX with a 1.6L V6.

I have yet to see a DOHC VTEC motor NOT designed for top end.
Then go pop the hood on any current 4cyl. Accord, CR-V, or Element. Take one for a spin. You can't really believe that any of those cars are designed for top end and being revved out to the big end of the tach. They are all DOHC iVTECs.

Last edited by GPTourer; May 25, 2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was very easy trading my 03 to 05. But the 8 to 9 just seems like theres not that much more car for the amount of money I would lose on the trade.