Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wing carbon fiber coming off?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wing carbon fiber coming off?

I have the usual CF wing on my VIII that the clear coat is starting to fade. The whole center section still has clear coat, but it is getting hazy.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by 4ce fed; Jul 26, 2006 at 06:20 AM.
Old May 22, 2006, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same here

I've got the same problem you are describing. Perhaps there was a bad batch. I got mine in March of '03. How about you?

I was going to take mine in to hopefully get replaced under warranty sometime in the near future. I'm at 32k miles or so right now.

- Robert
Old May 22, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

I went to the dealership (avondale mitsubishi) with 36,020 miles on my car. Those isiots tried to tell me that they wouldnt replace my spoiler under warranty. I got into a HUGE argument with the guy.

finally got them to replace it, but now they say its on back-order
Old May 22, 2006, 08:28 PM

more CF wing problems here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...8&page=1&pp=15

i hate going to the dealer. i think i prefer the dentist.

- Robert
Old May 22, 2006, 10:15 PM

If they replace your wings on your VIII's don't they give you IX wings instead? (because the VIIIs aren't made anymore)
Old May 22, 2006, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

My '05 MR's spoiler has just begun the fading process. I reported to my dealer and they acknowledged the problems with the VIII spoilers fading. In fact, they showed me a bulletin from Mitsu to them, giving them the necessary protocols to follow in the event that a customer has a fading wing and wants to replace it. The two options given were A.) Replace with the (and I quote, "more durable") Evo IX wing or B.) Wait for another Evo VIII wing replacement. I chose option A.
Old May 23, 2006, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by batdorf9
I've got the same problem you are describing. Perhaps there was a bad batch. I got mine in March of '03. How about you?

I was going to take mine in to hopefully get replaced under warranty sometime in the near future. I'm at 32k miles or so right now.

- Robert
Not sure of the build date since I'm not the first owner, but I believe the car was bought new in June '03. I have 33,500 miles on the car, so I guess I should hurry up to the dealership.

Originally Posted by MR*EVO*VIII
My '05 MR's spoiler has just begun the fading process. I reported to my dealer and they acknowledged the problems with the VIII spoilers fading. In fact, they showed me a bulletin from Mitsu to them, giving them the necessary protocols to follow in the event that a customer has a fading wing and wants to replace it. The two options given were A.) Replace with the (and I quote, "more durable") Evo IX wing or B.) Wait for another Evo VIII wing replacement. I chose option A.
So they are still making the VIII wing? That's one of the reasons I haven't taken my car in yet, because I didn't want the new IX wing. I can wait if they are offering that option.
Old May 23, 2006, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

My SPOILER is fading pretty bad. Took it to the dealer, they're replacing it with no hassle at all.
Old May 23, 2006, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

I made a proto-type wing cover about a month ago to just cover the horizontal carbon fiber part. Double layer ultra suede w/ velcro attachments. I've recently had to start parking outside and figured this would be a good way to test my cover. Hopefully it will alleviate some of this problem.
Old May 23, 2006, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same problem with my spoiler. It's getting covered under warranty, now the only problem is when will they have it. I've been waiting for a while now and still no spoiler
Old May 23, 2006, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Are all of you getting it replaced with the VIII wing, or the new IX wing?
Old May 23, 2006, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

for those of you that dont have any fading yet (or those that it is very little or just beginning) WAX YOUR WING!!! trust me...it will slow the progress of the fading or prevent it. wax it and wax it often!
Old May 23, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

I guess I should check to see if it can be covered under warranty.

Last edited by 4ce fed; Jul 26, 2006 at 06:21 AM.
Old May 23, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'm getting a VIII spoiler. Getting any info from Mitsu when it will be in is turning into a joke. I've been on the phone on hold for 15 minutes now and all I get is someone picking up the phone every 5 minutes and telling me to hold. Their service sucks @ss!!!!!!
Old May 23, 2006, 05:45 PM

Yeah service is ****ty for sure

Quick Reply: Wing carbon fiber coming off?