Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Has anyone ever taken their Evo into Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever taken their Evo into Mexico?

If so, what have your experiences been? Any concerns/issues? It seems that the Evo would be ideally suited for travel on Mexican highways (being a rally car and having AWD). The only reason I ask is that I'm considering a trip in the near future.
Old May 22, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

I did when I lived in Las Cruces, NM. I went for short trips though. If you have a lien, then you technically need permission from your lienholder. Most standard insurance companies will not insure you over the border. Look into additional temporary insurance if you go. Have fun, but I drove in fear the whole time of being hit.
Old May 22, 2006, 04:22 PM

Do you plan on ever parking and leaving your car unattended? Some of my Mexican friends NEVER take a nice car over the border. They always take some cheap beater (Astro van comes to mind) because you never know what to expect.

So in your case, I'd highly recommend NOT bringing your 30k Evo down south of the border if you plan on staying overnight or parking it unattended.
Old May 22, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude, I wouldn't even dear to go to Mexico on the Evo. I have been in Mexico a few times, I highly don't recommend taking it there at all.

I live 40 minutes away from Nogales and I can tell you right now the police there and the highway patrol are corrupted, you might not seen your car again. I always go to Mexico in a rental car.

Last time I was there with Sergio(Evofunk) we seen 40% of the cars without license plates, no headlights, no windshield, no doors and people riding in the roof of the cars. We also seen brand new car of the year stolen from the USA and just crusing around in little towns.

It is very amaizing when you see so many new cars in a poor town that does even have a car dealer. I am not trying to insult the Mexican people, my lady is Mexican and I look mexican as well despite I am Western European, I just wouldn't take an Evo there.

My .2c

Carlos
Old May 22, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tanK
Do you plan on ever parking and leaving your car unattended? Some of my Mexican friends NEVER take a nice car over the border. They always take some cheap beater (Astro van comes to mind) because you never know what to expect.

So in your case, I'd highly recommend NOT bringing your 30k Evo down south of the border if you plan on staying overnight or parking it unattended.
I would have Mexican insurance (liability + collision) and I would not drive at night or leave it unattended except in a secured and guarded parking lot.
Old May 22, 2006, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lancealott
I did when I lived in Las Cruces, NM. I went for short trips though. If you have a lien, then you technically need permission from your lienholder. Most standard insurance companies will not insure you over the border. Look into additional temporary insurance if you go. Have fun, but I drove in fear the whole time of being hit.
You are correct on that, some US insurance companies like USAA actually expands their coverage to nearby local towns(aproximately 60 miles from the border).

Carlos
Old May 22, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

You couldn't pay me to take my evo into mexico. The places just south of the border are not very nice and mostly crime ridden with corrupt police.
Old May 22, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

The only concern I would have is the gas over there .It sucks .
Old May 22, 2006, 04:38 PM

A friend of mine lives in TJ because his girl friend is mexican,

he drives a red H1 hummer accross the boarder every day but when I don't here from him for a while I wonder if he is dead.

driving in mexico is pretty scarry and I have driven quite alot in southern europe and western asia, and that is tame compared to mexico.

an evo would attract alot of unwanted attention down there.
Old May 22, 2006, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

I guess it depends on where in Mexico you're going, but my opinion is that you probably don't wanna draw attention to yourself in any foreign country. I know someone whose brother was kidnapped for ransom, then killed in Mexico.
Old May 22, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LVNVMV
A friend of mine lives in TJ because his girl friend is mexican,

he drives a red H1 hummer accross the boarder every day but when I don't here from him for a while I wonder if he is dead.

driving in mexico is pretty scarry and I have driven quite alot in southern europe and western asia, and that is tame compared to mexico.

an evo would attract alot of unwanted attention down there.
yup
Old May 22, 2006, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

^wow...had no idea it was that bad!
Old May 22, 2006, 04:52 PM

Dude I have been to Mexico on several accasions. It is nothing like that. I took my 1994 Integra GSR there and if anything was going to get stolen it would have been that. If you keep to your self and stay a real hotel you wont have any problems. If you go during spring break worry about drunks hitting your car. That happend to my old truck but luckly no damage to my truck just one ****ed up Nissan.
Old May 22, 2006, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Are you going to Mexico or Baja California. I know it's all Mexico but it does make a huge diff. If you are going to TJ, good luck... It will be broken into. If you go to a nice area of Mexico, such as Rosarito (not the ghetto area)... It SHOULD be fine. I honestly wouldnt bring any car into Baja unless it was only worth a couple hundred bucks.
Old May 22, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont do it it is stupidity. I dont care if you are going to a nice area the point is you have to come back and in orer to do so you will ha e to cross the border which will then cause it to get hit. Most people dontcare if they hit anyone because they are trying to cut inline.

I use to have a house on the beach in rosarito. My neighborhood was a very good one mostly americans there. However, I would still have to deal with TJ and the border crossing. This is why I would always bring my beater.

Also no one there has car insurance. So you are basically screwed. The only good thing is I was able to speed anywhere I went.