Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

18 Inch rims affect performance?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
I have 19's on my evo, and man what a differance in ride! I really can say that with my 19's, my car ride 100% better. It's like night and day differance.The car feels more responsive, tighter, rolls better, etc. I actually gives me better gearing as well.
One of my car tuner mags had a test between multiple sizes on an STI, which they did some track testing. 18's performed best as far as grip.
That's the funniest thing I've read so far today...
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have spent way too long reading the standard FIA rules and regs of WRC and I can find no point where it limits rim height/width at all. The only restrictions are no slick tires, at any point in time they must have a minimun tread depth on 75% of the tires (I think 5mm) and if studed, the studs have to comply with the host country's standard.

So why do they use 18"tires on twisy, windy roads???? Maybe they work better and smaller wheels work better for straight acceleration??? Or they just want to have a good looking show car for the fans standing in the mud on the side of the track?