Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Works Brain Flash.

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Gimme a break on the "you get what you pay for" cliche. People are paying $200 for Dynoflashes to run 12-flat. The Works flash may be good, but a mail-in is a mail-in, and what you're paying for is the EcuTek license ($650), not a better tune.

Yeah, but how many works equip brain flash cars have you seen blowing their engines.
Old May 26, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure what you mean. You don't see any Dynoflashed cars blowing their engines due to their tune, so what's your point?
Old May 26, 2006, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Dont want to get into an argument, but I do remember a tread where shiv and al got into an argument because shiv commented of how bad al's tune were (too lean) to get peak numbers and how many evo engines were damage because of it. I think both of them were banned for 2 weeks.
Old May 26, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo637
Dont want to get into an argument, but I do remember a tread where shiv and al got into an argument because shiv commented of how bad al's tune were (too lean) to get peak numbers and how many evo engines were damage because of it. I think both of them were banned for 2 weeks.
No, that is false. Please do not spread false information like this. There is no case where Al is known for tuning too lean and damaging engines. In fact, he tunes much more richly than other well-known tuners like TurboTrix who consistently tunes close to 12.0:1 AFRs.
Old May 26, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

If I am wrong I do apologize, but the tread did exist and I do remember both of them were banned for getting too personal. We should just end this discussion as I am afraid this will turn into nothing more than a flame war & the hijact of this tread.
Old May 26, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

from what I understand, the works flash is the best on the market because it makes the most out of the factory ecu programming and not just trick it into producing the most power posible like some other flashes. It also has complete control over boost levels without the use of a MBC which tapers no matter what and does not compensate for weather and altitude conditions.
Alot of people believe that reduced reliability is a cost of modding but that is only true if you don't know what you're doing and just throw cheap mods at it.
Old May 27, 2006, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Gimme a break on the "you get what you pay for" cliche. People are paying $200 for Dynoflashes to run 12-flat. The Works flash may be good, but a mail-in is a mail-in, and what you're paying for is the EcuTek license ($650), not a better tune.
I highly disagree with this comment and say:

Since when does time equate to a "GOOD TUNE"? It doesn't.

What's "cliche" is the vendor vs. vendor argument.
Old May 27, 2006, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

My WORKS P2 flash (along with their 269 cams and turbo back exhaust) is trouble free and gave me a nice fat powerband.
In the real world (Redline BeaveRun Time attack) it allowed me to pull a pretty fast (first place Street class) lap despite having problems with my off the shelf Buddy club coilover suspension set up.
The power comes on quick and hard, and I never have to have my hood up to mess with this and that like some of my friends with other setups WORKS
Now to get the suspension figured out before the next time attack

Johannes
Old May 27, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Johannes,

I am happy to hear that your WORKS 269 setup it performing flawlessly!

I am eventually headed the TR-340 route with the 20g turbo upgrade and WORKS o2 housing. I am trouble free with my WORKS setup and it pulls hard with just a 3" Turboback with the StealthWORKS muffler and P2r flash.

WORKS was the first to reverse engineer the ECU code on the EVO and since the guys from WORKS were also from DINAN and offer great customer service it's the route I will choose to go even if it's a little more $$$.

Sometimes I think people mistake low $$$ for great quality/service and this is mostly not the case. You do get what you pay for, regardless of how much that cliche is repeated when buying a car, a house, or selecting a TUNER to do an Evo, Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, or whatever...

Not all tuners are the same and offer the same level of quality and service.

Last edited by Smoothgangsta; May 27, 2006 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 27, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

I have just finished installing the WORKS TBE, WORKS O2 housing, WORKS cams, 10.5 hotside and their brainflash.... All I can say is that the car is AWESOME, no hesitation, no boost spike, no slutter, nothing, just smooth, hrad acceleration and if driven softly then its just like at stocker.

I'm very happy with WORKS

Mike
Old May 27, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by markeddy
I highly disagree with this comment and say:

Since when does time equate to a "GOOD TUNE"? It doesn't.

What's "cliche" is the vendor vs. vendor argument.
How can you highly disagree? There's nothing to disagree with. Works doesn't give you anything that Dynoflash doesn't give you, but they charge 2-3X the price. Showing people's 1/4-mile times is just one piece of EVIDENCE that the Dynoflashed cars perform extremely well. Al is also known for leaving a larger margin of safety than some other tuners, so it's not like he tunes to the edge of danger.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Works - they make high quality stuff - but their prices are outrageous, and you get nothing extra in return. However, I see that people are fooled into think they do.
Old May 27, 2006, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolved Monkey
from what I understand, the works flash is the best on the market because it makes the most out of the factory ecu programming and not just trick it into producing the most power posible like some other flashes. It also has complete control over boost levels without the use of a MBC which tapers no matter what and does not compensate for weather and altitude conditions.
Alot of people believe that reduced reliability is a cost of modding but that is only true if you don't know what you're doing and just throw cheap mods at it.
Then you've been fooled, too. Anyone can flash and retain the stock BCS. Most people just prefer to have an MBC for direct control. Nothing worse than having 0 control over your boost.
Old May 27, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Warrtalon, I guess they feel as passionate about works as you are about your tuner. Some people prefer to pay more for a product because they think it is engineered better, and in some cases they may be right in thinking that way.
Old May 27, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

But in this case, they're not. All EcuTeks cost this much because of the license - it has nothing to do with engineering or tuning ability.
Old May 27, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Personally, I think works do charge a bit too much for their ecu flash though.

Quick Reply: Works Brain Flash.