Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Which replacement clutch is closest to stock feel?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2006, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want something close to a stock feel clutchmasters does have that feeling because they move the fulcrum. All ACT does is use a stock organic disc with a hard *** pressure plate that is why the forks are so thick and that is why the pressure plate feels so hard.
Old May 24, 2006, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No way, Anarchy. IT is a DRASTIC DIFFERENCE. There's no way you did what you just said and felt little difference. Like I said, I went to a stock IX and thought the clutch pedal was broken, because it offered no resistance. We're talking 2200# vs 2900# - huge difference. The XTSS is only 200# more than the HDSS.
I agree...I could barely drive my car with the stock clutch after driving my friend's Evo with the ACT HDSS clutch. BIG difference in stiffness. You do not want to be stuck in traffic with that clutch.
Old May 24, 2006, 04:04 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
None of the ACT or Exedy feel like stock. I have both clutches and both cars at the same time. Like Warr mentioned, when I went into my MR from my 03 with the Exedy-twin (or ACT last year) I thought something wrong with my MR clutch. It's so soft like no resistant at all. Stick with stock if you dont pushing some serious power with the car and like the stock feel. It's also much better in the stop-and-go traffic like I'm experience it here in CA on freeway 405. :-)
Old May 24, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine is stock clutch, but its so hard to push the clutch all the way down, I test drove my cousins IX and Like Warrtalon said its really soft and no resistance at all compared to my clutch, is there something wrong with my clutch?
Old May 24, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Anarchy99
It's not as bad as all that. The feel of the HDSS is not much different, I felt my OEM clutch and then sat in a car with the HDSS with out the pill in ether car and the pedal feel was not that much different at all. Now if we had said the XTSS now that’s not for the week.
Luis you are 100% wrong. The ACT is WAY more harder to push down than a stock clutch. You need to go drive a stock one again .
Old May 24, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

It looks like I have an After market clutch. lol
Old May 24, 2006, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, I think I may have an aftermarket clutch. It's stiff as hell, and after hearing Warr talk about how soft the stock one is, I don't know! Or is it that the 9 clutch is just softer than the 8 clutch? This is something I would like to find out. I really don't want to pull my clutch out just to see if it's stock or not. And if my clutch isn't stock, well, that means I can wait!
Old May 24, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe there different on each car, my clutch is real hard, but my cousins is real soft.
and there both practicly new cars.
Old May 24, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
stick with the stock clutch. if you're not dragracing and want the stock feel and engagement, there's nothing better for that power level.

+1

Old May 24, 2006, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, that looks like my cat! What's her name? LoL, sorry for the OT.
Old May 24, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

how much power is the stock clutch good for?
Old May 24, 2006, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by occultworks
Hey, that looks like my cat! What's her name? LoL, sorry for the OT.

His name is Bearcat.

He's my 14 year old 25 pound Main Coon.

Old May 24, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, old and fat! LoL! My cats name is Egura, and I think she's only about 6. But she's a fatty also, around 20lbs.

Anyway... Sorry about the OT everyone. I would have sworn that my cat's a clone of yours though. Crazy!
Old May 24, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

back OT........... how much power is the stock clutch good for? im talking on the street no drag raceing
Old May 24, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Definitely stick with stock. I don't know who these guys are saying the ACT feels like stock - it feels NOTHING like stock. IT's way, way, way stiffer than the stock clutch. That doesn't bother me in the least, but if someone asked for a replacement clutch that was just like stock, the last thing I'd recommend is the ACT HDSS. For all of you who suggested ACT, go find an Evo with a stock clutch and try to drive it. I went and test drove a IX, and the clutch pedal was so soft, I thought it was broken. It doesn't even feel like it's there - that's how drastic the difference is.

Btw, sleet, the adjustment is only a temporary fix. It comes back over time, and is a royal pain in the ***.

Drama Queen.... stop the madness. Either you have a chicken leg or your over dramatizing. The HDSS is nothing. Try running an ACT 2900 in a DSM then tell me about clutch pedal effort. Is is as soft as stock, hell no, but is it THAT much different NO not even close. If you want light pedal effort get a Tilton, sometimes I felt like my clutch was not there at all.... but it was. Damn thing makes too much noise though.

Quick Reply: Which replacement clutch is closest to stock feel?