Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Which replacement clutch is closest to stock feel?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2006, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which replacement clutch is closest to stock feel?

I want to upgrade my clutch but want it to feel close to stock. No drag racing and will have under 350HP. Also the least expensive the better. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old May 24, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Center Force Dual Friction is just like stock and not too expensive.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

ACT-HDSS is as close as your going to get. You woun't be able to tell it's in there.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ACT street.
Old May 24, 2006, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper2G

How much is it?
Old May 24, 2006, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you've got a synchro grind... get that shnat fixed under warrenty before you swap out the oe clutch!
Old May 24, 2006, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleeper2G
Do you have a Centerforce clutch installed on your car?
Old May 24, 2006, 08:05 AM

ACT-HDSS is the clutch kit I have, got the clutch/flywheel combo for only $759.99 (not including shipping) from ProStreet here: Lancer Evolution 8 ACT Clutches - In stock, and ready to ship! 10% OFF
I ended up getting the ACT Flywheel instead of the Proweight for 50.00 bucks more... but that's the price I paid all said and done.

A little stiffer clutch engagement... but nothing stressful to the leg/ankle what so ever! I like it a lot actually! And it shifts just like stock, as in=disengages and engages the same... I also took the restrictor valve out of the release cylinder, so engagement is more direct than before.
Old May 24, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Are you having any high RPM lock out issues when you shift? I've been hearing alot of this with the ACT clutches.
Old May 24, 2006, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTio
Are you having any high RPM lock out issues when you shift? I've been hearing alot of this with the ACT clutches.
That issue was solved already, it just has to be adjusted.
Old May 24, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

stick with the stock clutch. if you're not dragracing and want the stock feel and engagement, there's nothing better for that power level.
Old May 24, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Definitely stick with stock. I don't know who these guys are saying the ACT feels like stock - it feels NOTHING like stock. IT's way, way, way stiffer than the stock clutch. That doesn't bother me in the least, but if someone asked for a replacement clutch that was just like stock, the last thing I'd recommend is the ACT HDSS. For all of you who suggested ACT, go find an Evo with a stock clutch and try to drive it. I went and test drove a IX, and the clutch pedal was so soft, I thought it was broken. It doesn't even feel like it's there - that's how drastic the difference is.

Btw, sleet, the adjustment is only a temporary fix. It comes back over time, and is a royal pain in the ***.
Old May 24, 2006, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

I had 2 clutches:

HKS GD Max -

ATS carbon/carbon ($$$$) - Very stock like feel; however, the chatter was very twin-disk

Stick with Stock if you can
Old May 24, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Definitely stick with stock. I don't know who these guys are saying the ACT feels like stock - it feels NOTHING like stock. IT's way, way, way stiffer than the stock clutch. That doesn't bother me in the least, but if someone asked for a replacement clutch that was just like stock, the last thing I'd recommend is the ACT HDSS. For all of you who suggested ACT, go find an Evo with a stock clutch and try to drive it. I went and test drove a IX, and the clutch pedal was so soft, I thought it was broken. It doesn't even feel like it's there - that's how drastic the difference is.

Btw, sleet, the adjustment is only a temporary fix. It comes back over time, and is a royal pain in the ***.
It's not as bad as all that. The feel of the HDSS is not much different, I felt my OEM clutch and then sat in a car with the HDSS with out the pill in ether car and the pedal feel was not that much different at all. Now if we had said the XTSS now that’s not for the week.
Old May 24, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

No way, Anarchy. IT is a DRASTIC DIFFERENCE. There's no way you did what you just said and felt little difference. Like I said, I went to a stock IX and thought the clutch pedal was broken, because it offered no resistance. We're talking 2200# vs 2900# - huge difference. The XTSS is only 200# more than the HDSS.

Quick Reply: Which replacement clutch is closest to stock feel?