Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

REALLY rough shifts into 2ND. DEALER BLEW ME OFF!

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
30k at normal conditions 15k at harder driving conditions.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mmelmann
+1

Yeah, what do you mean when you say that they drove it without using the clutch? If they didn't use the clutch, then they wouldn't be able to get it out of neutral. Without clutch use it would grind like hell.
I'm with these two guys, doesn't anyone find this odd. maybe i'm missing something, so I'll hold my opinion of this guy till later.........if he answers the question after the third time.

btw syncromesh has been used by a lot of people on here with good improvement in shifting smoothness, including myself.

Last edited by moto17; May 25, 2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

My 05 ocassionally has a grindy 1-2 and 2-3 shift and is normally pretty notchy. Changed to BG, and it made the shifts feel smoother in winter, but I still get the grind. Dealer said they cannot feel it. Its not getting any worse so Im not bothered. If it does I'll get it fixed under warranty.
Old May 25, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

you can use the clutch to start, then shift up (and down) thru the gears without the clutch if you do it at the right rpms. Good to know in case of emergency. Not good to do all the time.
Old May 25, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GR-VIII
Seems the Mits manual in their modern turbo's is just like the manual from back in 1990 with the Eclipse. Those trannies had the same shift problem when cold. But, a lot of other brand cars do as well, especially if the trans fluid is not synthetic.

Back then Mits had a service bulletin to put a "friction modifier" in the trans fluid to help smooth the shifts. It was pretty much some teflon type stuff, which helped a little.
The best fix was to go with Redline MTL synthetic. That stuff worked magic. The shifts were like moving through butter and not thick molasses even when it was winter time cold.
Of course back then the synchros were made of paper and I think they are now metal, which means they are lasting longer.

Change your trans fluid to something high quality synthetic.
The synth fluid with retain viscosity when cold and when very hot.
It will also last longer by virtue of it's ability to cope with the heat and stresses of sports car where there is a lof of shifting going on.

Also, I thought/think the Evo does have synthetic trans fluid, but that may just be an assumption on my part. And, if they say to replace it around 30k, then I would think its not synthetic but regular dino fluid.

Good points. However, synthetic tranny oil on our EVOs does more harm than good. It’s simply too slippery for our Syncros. It had been proven over and over again that Syncromesh is the way to go and it does not only help but fixes the problem. I speak from experience and I have tried synthetic oils including redline on my 03 and all I got was more and more 4th gear grind. The moment I used Syncromesh is the moment I forgot I had a tranny issue. I was very surprised how much oil can do.