Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Cali Exhaust Law

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2006, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racerxl99
lol. they are gonne be cracking down on cars that are lowered and exhaust because of the FnF3? just imagine how many FWD gonna be pulled over and get dismissed in court. one of my friends was driving an integra and he was pulled over at gun point. he had a ticket for "driving sideway" and was dismissed in court.
driving sideway? wtf....ok
Old May 25, 2006, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Well you can always get high temp flat black paint and spray the muffler so its not so noticeable....

I think im doing that to my buschur magnaflow muffler, it kinda sticks out from the bottom of the car and is shiny so I was thinking of spraying it flat black to kind of hide it a little....
Old May 25, 2006, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

well my exhaust is tilted... i have the RSR EX-MAG gt2
Old May 25, 2006, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

If that cop ever comes to Ohio he will have a nervous break down. there are more modified cars trucks and bikes here than non modified. Good luck with the over active cops out there.
Old May 25, 2006, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

i wonder do you think the domestics have this kind of problems? i mean there are quite a bit of modified domestics you know? and im talking about muscle cars, not the domestics trying to be ricers. anyways, they better be getting just as harrassed cause if not, it's gotta be some sort of automobile descrimination. haha
Old May 25, 2006, 06:55 AM

In Norcal, domestics do not get harassed. The v8's with thier f*cking no cat and flow's do not get f*cked with and they are LOUD.

The only domestics I know of that get messed with up here are the ones with hydraulics.

My last car was real ****ing loud, 4-2-1 race header, no cat, straight through mufflers. I never got pulled over. Maybe because I drove a Ion Redline and it was sleeper. I hope the same thing happens with the EVO. I'm pretty casual driver on the street most of the time, so I hope that plays in my favor.
Old May 25, 2006, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dl Evo said it guys....SLEEPER. Get coilovers to adjust ride height and nothing too flashy. California is only getting worse obviously with its ridiculous rules so mind your P's and Q's when it comes to the stuff that is noticable. I know alot of people are proud about their rides but it is causing too much heat on everyone....esspecially with all the highway racing and $hit! You Cali guys need to get more involved in keeping racers off the highway andkeep them in the traps ! Till kids stop screwing around the heat is only gonna get worse.... good luck out there !
Old May 25, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

I live in So cal and have had a exhuast on my 2g since 1998 and have never been pulled over for anything but it looks stock other than rims, exhuast and a front mount. My Evo hasnt even got a second look from a cop and I have had an exhuast on it for 7 months now. Maybe you did something stupid to get the cops attention. How old are you and did you have your windows down with music blasting?
Old May 25, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

I'm about to move out there to San Diego. I am soooo looking forward to the 90 octane gas and punk cops. Guess I will definately need to remove my wing and paint my Perrin exhaust can black on my WW IX before I go.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:07 AM

according to my lawyer cops can and will pull you over and look under your hood for having as little as stickers on your car, the govt are helping cops harrass people that "fit the description"
How do cops know what is legal or not? they dont, they will make you go to a smog referee, usually they are booked for a couple months tho and technically till they give you the green light that youre legal youre not supposed to drive that car
guilty till proven innocent
I know this because I've lived it,
remember you can fight the tickets, i'm 9-3 in the last 10yrs

- "LAPD, we treat you like a king"
Old May 25, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

I have put 36000 miles on my 2003 since October of 2003. I have a big front mount, Works 18's, Stock catalytic, RMR downpipe and cat back with an HKS muffler. Kinda loud but not rediculous. No tickets. I drive all over Orange, Riverside and San Bernadino counties.
Old May 25, 2006, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Soundz like he was bored. Yeah it's bad here in VA too when it comes to exhausts.
Old May 25, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

the driver cop sounded like he was in training though... he asked the other cop if he should cuff me! wtf... i didnt do anything, i was just getting gas where i normally do. My friend that got pulled over with me told me a story when he went to vegas. he went to an illegal drag race with domestics and saw a cop roll by... the cop just stayed for a bit and took off. sooo messed up...
Old May 25, 2006, 02:14 PM

The officer was misinformed. Check out the chp website, it has a memo about modified exhausts. The exhaust has to be over 95db to be illegal. It even states that just because a exhaust looks modified (ie... shiny) does not mean its illegal. Remember, though, there is no standardized on-scene testing, so the officer has to cite with his best judgement... they usaully send you to a ref who gives you a certificate if your in complaince... at worst its a fix it ticket. Ill try to post up a link.
Old May 25, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What part of SD was it? Was it SDPD, Sheriff or HWP?