Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Cali Exhaust Law

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evo racing
I recently got pulled over for no reason.... just getting gas and lights come on. Says its my seatbelt and they were on and so he blames it on my front plate. Then he comments that now, cops can pull you over just for having a shiny exhaust. when they pull you over for it, thats one offense. and then they'll ask if you put it on. if you reply with a yes, thats another offense and thats 2 points against you. soooo if ur in cali dont admit to putting it on, say u bought it that way or something if your car is second hand. but yeah...cops are *******s ALSO!!!! he asked... " did you hear about the new drifting movie coming out soon? (Fast and the Furious 3)" and im like yeah... and he says, were gonna be cracking down like crazy when the movie comes out. we will start pulling you over for anything from exhausts to lowered cars.
Well San Diego PD has gone through a lot of training. Like your the lowest portion of your headlamps can't be less than 22" from the ground, hence why they will pull over lowered cars, Exhausts well if you have paperwork then you are in luck if not then take it to court, but always remember that they are not smog or emmisions inspectors so you can always deny to have them search your car and if you believe you can pass smog tell them to write you a ticket to see a ref. A police officer cannot detain you for more than a reasonable amount of time. If they give you crap have them call a supervisor. If they are just holding you you can always complain to the internal affairs department and make a complaint and they can investigate from the moment he reported code 6 to code 4. Just some advice
Old May 25, 2006, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To get around this type of harassment, keep a copy of http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8133 in your glovebox at all times.

I ran into a situation at a car meet, where two Sheriffs showed up and started spouting nonsense about all modified exhausts being illegal in California. A friend of mine had a copy of the CHP bulletin in his car, so with that in hand, I called out the cops as being full of ****. Sure enough, one of them asks to see the document, looks at his partner, and meekly says (in front of 30 people) 'I guess we're wrong'.
Old May 25, 2006, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo racing
and he says, were gonna be cracking down like crazy when the movie comes out. we will start pulling you over for anything from exhausts to lowered cars.
Id like to see them try...
Old May 25, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Aux.
Dl Evo said it guys....SLEEPER. Get coilovers to adjust ride height and nothing too flashy. California is only getting worse obviously with its ridiculous rules so mind your P's and Q's when it comes to the stuff that is noticable. I know alot of people are proud about their rides but it is causing too much heat on everyone....esspecially with all the highway racing and $hit! You Cali guys need to get more involved in keeping racers off the highway andkeep them in the traps ! Till kids stop screwing around the heat is only gonna get worse.... good luck out there !

In Norcal there are only 2 main tracks, infineon and sac raceway.. San fran has a huge street racing problem but they won't build a track anywhere near here to solve it. People have been asking for one for years but to no luck...

So that's why kids street race out here, there are no close tracks. I bet you if there was one, street racing would be cut 50%.
Old May 25, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
take it to court, get a lawyer, get off the ticket. Stupids cops are POS
Old May 25, 2006, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
While I'll admit that a lot of cops in Southern California are totally ****, I don't really sympathize when I read threads like this. Here's why.

Unless you just moved here within the past year, you know what the laws are and how they're interpreted. Yes, as long as an exhaust is below 95 dB it's technically legal to install on a vehicle and drive on city streets--we all know this. But at the same time, we have all known for YEARS that cops don't care about that loophole and they don't have dB meters built into their ears. Anything that doesn't sound stock is probably going to get stopped and ticketed, then they'll let the CHP officers and state referees worry about the rest. They know that and we know that, it's nothing new, and you knew that as well when you bought your exhaust and installed it... yes or no? You didn't get a "legal" catback exhaust for its marginal hp/torque gain for $800 or however much--you got it because it sounds and looks cooler than stock... yes or no?

I don't mean to insult anyone who has been pulled over for BS, but there are solutions to this problem:

* Keep your stock exhaust on
* Install a catback that is technically legal, but prepare to potentially get pulled over and harassed, possibly ticketed and going lengths to prove its legal installation and use... and don't complain about it when it happens
* Install an obviously questionable exhaust (really loud catback, catless turboback, etc.) and get ready to endure tickets and fines... and don't complain about it when it happens
* Try to change things by writing to the state, police department, CHP, DMV, etc.; or get into law enforcement yourself and be the law

Notice how complaining online is not a solution to this problem. Flame if you want, but I'm right.
Old May 25, 2006, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here's where it pays to know the law and to be respectful.

If a cop asks about the exhaust, you politely tell him "that's a catback sir. It is both smog and noise legal according to CA law. It meets the 95db standard and doesn't affect any emmissions equipment."

As far as lowering, last time I checked, lowering springs or coilovers aren't illegal unless they are ridiculously low.
Old May 26, 2006, 01:57 AM

i think its retarted how cops are able to pull you over for no apparent reason anymore
Old May 26, 2006, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HKSmr2rbo
i think its retarted how cops are able to pull you over for no apparent reason anymore
punks with a badge, what ya gonna do? ****'s got guns too
Old May 26, 2006, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats why I stay far away from that state.