Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Flashing Question.

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would this only happen at full throttle? I don't want flames coming out my exhaust when I'm driving through town at low speeds, or even worse at the gas station!
Old May 25, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It won't happen when sitting still at the gas station, but if you have a catless TBE and aren't tuned, then it's likely to happen all the time when shifting and most of the time after part-throttle let-offs when slowing down. That's when unburned fuel builds up in the test pipe, and when you hit the gas again, it can ignite.

This is not a big deal, though...I think you're being paranoid.
Old May 25, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not trying to hijack this guys thread but to me flames seems like a big deal. I just put my Perrin turbo back on with test pipe on last Monday so its only been a few days. I don't want to get pulled over for shooting flames every time I shift! Once I get tuned will it not do that any more? I know these cars run rich from the factory, but I never heard of anything like this. Maybe I should get a high flow cat instead?
Old May 25, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not like a real flamethrower. It's just a quick puff. You will always have it happen with the catless TBE, but with a tune, you will be less rich, so it will happen less often with smaller fireballs.

Seriously, you're freaking out over nothing. This is very normal.
Old May 25, 2006, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

dan628: The evo is your first turbo'd car is'nt it? Listen to Warr, it's not big deal. It wont blow up a gas station or anything. It's a really small flame, at most it'll only be about 6 inches long. When I had my 240, i was shooting 1-2 foot flames for a while, but i was running rich to the point where I could smell the gas when I drove. Evo's run a little rich from the factory, but it would'nt be anywhere near that bad.