Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What does nitrous sound like?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does nitrous sound like?

Guys,

First of all, I apologize for my ignorance on this subject totally. I've never really been interested in it and I don't know anyone who uses it so plese be try as hard as you can to ignore this thread if it's not worht your time.

Anyway, stopped at the lights and this sylvia stopped on the opposite side of the road, going in the opposite direction. When the lights went green, I was stuck behind a couple of cars and didn't really care, but the sylvia went off the line fairly quick and at some point later (about 2 sec?) there was this sound like someone let off a gas canister and his tyres screeched [had my windows down]. Now I'm fairly sure this wasn't the bov cos the engine note didn't really change. So, is this the sound nitrous makes? Or was I just hearing things?
Old May 25, 2006, 08:59 AM
Ike
Evolving Member

Nitrous doesn't sound like anything unless someone purges. When purged it sounds like pressurized gas being released for a second or two.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:01 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like "vroom, vrooom..."

You are hearing an external wastegate dumping to atmosphere, not N20.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ike
Nitrous doesn't sound like anything unless someone purges. When purged it sounds like pressurized gas being released for a second or two.
I had nitrous on the skivic for trips to the drag strip, it may not be loud from the outside but I could here it a little from the cabin.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pppsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssppppssssssss ssssssssssssssssppppsssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssspp
ssssssssssssssssssssssppssssssssssssssssssssss exactly like that!
Old May 25, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys!! It sort of sounded like pressurized gas, but then wastegates would sound like that, I suppose.

I don't suppose anyone could tell me when/why one would 'purge'? I have my idiot hat on right now...
Old May 25, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

all you can hear is the clicking of the solenoids turning on and off.

a full throttle engine and exhaust are louder than the ssppps sound.

The reason why would purge is to get all the air out of the lines and fill them with the gas.
The only way to know is to purge all the air out of the lines until you see the nitrous.

Last edited by Evo#1; May 25, 2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

BOOM!!! When it goes bad.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
BOOM!!! When it goes bad.
Nitrous is as safe as any mod if used correctly. A mbc is just as dangerous if it isn't used correctly.

But I wouldn't go arround town using it, its ment for drag strips.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Nitrous doesn't sound like anything, but NOS on the other hand... that sounds like warp speed on the star ship Enterprise!! Everything get's all wavy and stretched out! At least that's what Brian Spilner told me.
Old May 25, 2006, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

People purge too look "cool" before a race...complete waste of money
Old May 25, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

As stated, a purge is used to clear the lines of any moisture and or air. It's not to "look cool" and it does have a purpose. (For people who really use it, I must admit there are a lot of idiots that do use it to "look cool".)

Without purging the lines, it can take a second or three for the nitrous to actually come into the intake track, or manifold. It's kind of like lag on a turbo would be an easy basic way to describe it. After a purge, you want to be at the lights and ready to go.

I had the full NX system on my GSX and I have to say it was freaking awesome. Actually scary the first few times I used it. The tubo spooled instantly (PTE50 trim) and first and second were gone in a heart beat.

It can be a great thing, and it has a lot of benefits, but it can seriously screw things up if you don't know what you are doing also.

Oh and there really isn't any sound you would here outside the car other then the purge. If I opend the bottle after not using it for a long time, you might ahear a tiny phhhhhhhhhhhhtt noise, but even that was pretty quite. The bottle opener was louder.

Last edited by Mortis; May 25, 2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old May 25, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mortis
As stated, a purge is used to clear the lines of any moisture and or air. It's not to "look cool" and it does have a purpose. (For people who really use it, I must admit there are a lot of idiots that do use it to "look cool".)

Without purging the lines, it can take a second or three for the nitrous to actually come into the intake track, or manifold. It's kind of like lag on a turbo would be an easy basic way to describe it. After a purge, you want to be at the lights and ready to go.

I had the full NX system on my GSX and I have to say it was freaking awesome. Actually scary the first few times I used it. The tubo spooled instantly (PTE50 trim) and first and second were gone in a heart beat.

It can be a great thing, and it has a lot of benefits, but it can seriously screw things up if you don't know what you are doing also.

Oh and there really isn't any sound you would here outside the car other then the purge. If I opend the bottle after not using it for a long time, you might ahear a tiny phhhhhhhhhhhhtt noise, but even that was pretty quite. The bottle opener was louder.
Actually the purge is to remove gaseous N2O from the lines and pressurize it with liquid N20.
Old May 25, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
Actually the purge is to remove gaseous N2O from the lines and pressurize it with liquid N20.
Bingo, we have a winner...
Old May 25, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
pppsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssppppssssssss ssssssssssssssssppppsssssssssss
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssspp
ssssssssssssssssssssssppssssssssssssssssssssss exactly like that!

no smokey, that is a flat on your trailer tires....hahahah!!

hows things going buddy??

Quick Reply: What does nitrous sound like?