Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just got done driving an Evo8: My Review...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2003, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got done driving an Evo8: My Review...

...meh...

The Evo 7 i drove while in NZ felt much more powerful. Seemed to handle better too. I came around a slow turn into the parking lot a little hot and the wheels started to howl and it started pushing a little.
Brakes were fair. About as good as the brakes on my Supra.

I couldnt get on a really nice twisty road to open it up, but i did run through all 5 gears on a straight... car felt weak. Really weak. That car cant sit still for long being stock if i were to get one. Definately needs mods. I see what ya'll mean by it doesnt really do much up in the power range. First thing the car needs is pulled cats, tuned fuel, and maybe a open cold air intake. Perhaps to a front duct or something.

Now i wait for the WRX STi.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Daym that is the first negative response to this car on this board..pretty amazing.. i wonder what everyone is gonna say to this.. i don't think it's weak.. it's not that weak in the high gears.. jus not as fast as in low gears..

but since this car was made for short-turning handeling tracks..where they're aren't much big straights.. this car would be very resorucefull...i think thas waht maybe tried to do.. tryed to get the acceleration awsome and worried about high gears after..since u want to gain back alota speed quick after turns.. jus a thought

my .02 cents.. Peayce..
Old Apr 16, 2003, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

dmora,

Now that you know you don't like the EVO does that mean you are going to go away?
Old Apr 16, 2003, 05:54 PM

getting a front diff will help witht he understeer i think and the fact that you are coming from the supra owners point of view im not surprised that your disapointed with the top end . its been established that the evo 7 is more powerful so people shouldn't be to surprised about that one but i think with tuning the evo8 can easily equal it
Old Apr 16, 2003, 06:09 PM
P2x

Re: Just got done driving an Evo8: My Review...

Originally posted by dmora
...meh...

The Evo 7 i drove while in NZ felt much more powerful. Seemed to handle better too. I came around a slow turn into the parking lot a little hot and the wheels started to howl and it started pushing a little.

I couldnt get on a really nice twisty road to open it up, but i did run through all 5 gears on a straight... car felt weak. Really weak. That car cant sit still for long being stock if i were to get one. Definately needs mods. I see what ya'll mean by it doesnt really do much up in the power range. First thing the car needs is pulled cats, tuned fuel, and maybe a open cold air intake. Perhaps to a front duct or something.

The Evo 7 you drove in NZ would have been JDM spec. That's what they get there.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 06:11 PM
P2x

Originally posted by WRX1832
dmora,

Now that you know you don't like the EVO does that mean you are going to go away?
..great attitude man.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

It is weak on power, depending on what you're coming from. Coming from a Supra or, in my case, a high HP FWD DSM, the EVO8 in stock form really disappoints on power. I called it anemic. It just had no bite to it.

But it does make up for the power if you get it out on one of those twisty roads you said you weren't able to get it out on. I live on one. The car is a freakin BLAST down that road. On the highway...not so fun. Running through the gears in a straight line...not so fun. Turning that quick ratio wheel doing 80 MPH down a tight twisty road...BIG FUN!

And I've gotten used to the lack of power too. It's actually a little misleading. You don't feel like you're going fast sometimes, but then you look down and see triple digits and notice the cars you're passing seem like they're stopped or something. D'oh. Time to let up. Pure g-force pushing your head into the seat in any RPM range over 4k...doesn't happen. At least not in stock form.

Oh, also, I think you'll see more and more people posting disappointment stories. It's inevitable I think after they read so many good stories. They'll have a super positive opinion or at least bias towards the car before stepping in it. Those of use that drove them when they first rolled off the truck had nothing to anticipate. It was pure joy just finally getting behind the wheel. Even so, I still think the car is the quickest thing your'e going to find on the market today.

Thomas Dorris

Last edited by twdorris; Apr 16, 2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

hahah.. let the modding begin..
Old Apr 16, 2003, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

5th is a long (ie freeway) gear, which makes the car feel like it's pulling less strongly up there. But you're coming from a car which makes 320bhp out of the box - obviously a less powerful car isn't going to excite you. I dunno how any car which can pull a 5 second 0-60 and run the 1/4 in 13.5 can be considered 'weak'. A Ford Tempo is 'weak'. So I guess you're just stirring stuff up, which is fine if that's your thing.

Having said that, I do kinda know what you mean. Even in the lower gears, it feels like it doesn't pull as hard as you get higher in the revs, presumably because the ECU tapers the boost level down as the revs climb. Still, it can (allegedly) run with a late '90s Carrera 2, so hey, I'm having fun with mine Will I keep it stock.. hmmm....
Old Apr 16, 2003, 07:40 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Just got done driving an Evo8: My Review...

Originally posted by dmora
...meh...

Sounds like a dealer test drive. My brakes didnt' work till 700miles for me anyways, you need to brake in. DOn't beat on the dealer car! Need 50miles to get the oil off the tires and warm temp>70 for them to even start to stick. I don't understand. A stock evo will tear apart a stock supra.

Evo stock
13.2-13.5@102-104mph.
Supra stock
13.5@106mph.

What do you think about the steering response, ridigity, and etc? Did you even drive one??

Last edited by gtr; Apr 16, 2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting. dmora. I would like to hear more. Obviously there is no bashing what is good. But if you are going to bring a point up you should have the evidence to back it up. I would like to hear your story, coming from a supra owner to. I would like to know how it compares and is your supra stock? Personally I can understand the feel of no bite. I been driving my evo for the past month, and yesterday was the first day I drove another car. Even though the evo has been bashed and praised. I do have to say the minute I got in my evo again. I realized how fast, and agile it is. ^_^.. It was like I just bought it again!.. . But I want to hear more of the pros and cons comparison to other cars you have driven. But please be descriptive.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 08:32 PM

Re: Re: Just got done driving an Evo8: My Review...

Originally posted by gtr

Evo stock
13.2-13.5@102-104mph.
Supra stock
13.5@106mph.
I just hope the evo's engine can hold up as much as the 2JZ can. apples and orange...
Old Apr 16, 2003, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Don't kill the guy 'cause he wasn't impressed. I thought power was off when I test drove as well (most cars feel slow compared to my Eclipse). I didn't get to push it hard enough to get a feel for understeer, but coming from a high hp fwd, I don't expect it will be a big deal to me. Chassis was very solid, steering response was excellent, and the fun of driving it was enough to make forget about the cheesy interior and reserve one for May delivery.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 09:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi Daniel,

It would be helpful to know what you are comparing. Is your Supra modded and if so what is the estimated HP? Where are you located; gas octane? How long was the test drive and was it a dealer car? Did you get the car to 90mph then stand on the brakes? I've driven a 650bhp single turbo Supra and I would agree on the torque. My modded 93 Talon is quicker than the stock EVO, but the EVO is responing very well to mods and there is NO comparison relative to handling.

The car's job description was written for twistys, so to bad you didn't get a chance to try it out. Good luck with the STI!

Speedlimit.......
Old Apr 17, 2003, 07:44 PM

To all the folks who got their panties in a twist because a stock car on a dealer test drive did not impress me, feel free to bite my hairy ***.

I like the Evo a lot. I was simply not impressed as it sat stock and on a mile long straight frontage road. Comming from my car where it pulls like a freight train all the way through the power band and gears, i know what it a turbo car should feel like when on boost and accelleration. The evo seems to fall off or reach boost and just sit there like its not accellerating any better.
Now this is just speaking in terms of straight line accelleration. Even in stock form, the my car felt like it was pulling harder and harder on up. I know with some tuning the Evo can too. i'm sure since it was a dealer car, the lackeys they send to fill it up fill it with 87 octane. However, i did not feel it pinging or anything when driving it around.
Gearing is way too tight. In stock form the car was running out of gears way to fast. The stock gearing might be ok, but maybe for a tight track. It feels like it might need more RPM for low speed turns since it doesnt have power to pull it out.
Clutch was to soft. It felt disconnected. Had a false sense of pressure. At least since im used to a stiff clutch in my car.

Im going back to drive the EVO again when the WRX STi comes out so that i can make an informed decision. And i will definately need to take it out more than just around the block.

And for those that were curious, my supra is fairly stock, makes about 400rwhp and i've run a personal best of 12.6@117 my third time at the track on sequential turbo setup. In true twin mode it was much uglier since i had no power below 4k. But i dont like to drag race, i prefer road racing which my car is better set up for. Which is why im looking at an Evo or WRX. I might just end up keeping the Supra, who knows.