Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intercooler upgrade question.....

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2006, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler upgrade question.....

I am wanting to install my intercooler upgrade that i had made. The only question i have is will it be safe to install it with my hardpipe kit without a re-flash? Whats your .02?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 25, 2006, 09:41 PM
Account Disabled

it will definitely throw off the tune but how much it all depends on the pressure drop and other factors of your new kit, what fmic is it?
Old May 25, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
it will definitely throw off the tune but how much it all depends on the pressure drop and other factors of your new kit, what fmic is it?

well its a custom intercooler made by a good friend of mine. He is a machineist and he also fabs up stainless manifolds and also just about anything aluminum.

The specs of the intercooler:
Bar and plate style, 12" x 28" (with endtanks) x 3.75"
and with our calculations it should flow right at 1100 cfm with about 1 psi of pressure drop.
Old May 25, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Question

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Last edited by EiEVO; May 25, 2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old May 26, 2006, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
if you have a wide band (or have access to one), then just throw the intercooler and hard pipes on and hook up the wide band. if you a/f didn't change much, then you're safe. that's why i like having a wide band and safc on top of a custom flash, cause i didn't want to have to reflash every time i add a simple mod.
Old May 26, 2006, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
if you have a wide band (or have access to one), then just throw the intercooler and hard pipes on and hook up the wide band. if you a/f didn't change much, then you're safe. that's why i like having a wide band and safc on top of a custom flash, cause i didn't want to have to reflash every time i add a simple mod.
Another simple question: I do have a aem gauge wideband. And im new to the dsm family but on other turbo vehicles i have owned and built up i always put my WB o2 bung about 6" down on the downpipe. I know aem suggest about a 10 deg angle when installed but i have had better luck with it just about straight in there so the air wasn't flowing towards the bottom of it, it was flowing towards the side of the sensor first... I know that was confusing.

So where do most evo owners install theirs for accurate readings?
Old May 26, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Are you serious with that sig? It takes up the whole damn screen. If you feel the need to list every single mod you have so everyone knows, at least list them horizontally.

Last edited by fsugatorbait; May 26, 2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old May 26, 2006, 08:32 AM

That is vertically.
Old May 26, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tbplayer45
That is vertically.
Owned. Multitasking > me.
Old May 26, 2006, 08:40 AM

I knew what you meant, I am just at work (which puts me in a bad mood) so I felt like being a smart ***.
Old May 26, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by EiEVO
Another simple question: I do have a aem gauge wideband. And im new to the dsm family but on other turbo vehicles i have owned and built up i always put my WB o2 bung about 6" down on the downpipe. I know aem suggest about a 10 deg angle when installed but i have had better luck with it just about straight in there so the air wasn't flowing towards the bottom of it, it was flowing towards the side of the sensor first... I know that was confusing.

you can install the wide band anywhere on the down pipe, just make sure it's before the cat and not too close to the turbo outlet. i've had two different wide band and didn't have to install them at an angle. if the aem came with a bung that's already cut at an angle, then just weld it on at an angle. if not, then just weld it straight on. i think aem uses a bosch sensor anyways, not their own sensor.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same question on the location of that bung. I called and spoke to an AEM rep. He said it is fine to put it where you indicated. He advised on being very cautious of putting it to close to the turbo, or it might burn up faster.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fsugatorbait
Are you serious with that sig? It takes up the whole damn screen. If you feel the need to list every single mod you have so everyone knows, at least list them horizontally.

If you have a problem with my sig and it really bothers you...The you could have PM'd me. If you have no advice or suggestions pertaining to the thread please dont reply.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

If you have a problem with my sig and it really bothers you...The you could have PM'd me. If you have no advice or suggestions pertaining to the thread please dont reply.

Oh the irony.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Had my WB right after the 90 degree bend on the DP. Readings are consistant

Quick Reply: Intercooler upgrade question.....