Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsu Dealer - 3" TBE discussion - need info

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2006, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsu Dealer - 3" TBE discussion - need info

was speaking to the mitsu dealer down werribee an they said they can install a 3" TBE for $950(AUD) which wont void my warranty for an evo9. the reason they said it wont void my warranty is "it doesnt increase hp on the vehicle, only allows it to breath better and the 2 stock resonators are still present". i also asked him if i could change the airfilter and he said if its a ralliart one that they install, it wont void the warranty. im pretty sure that doing these 2 simply mods will increase hp overall so im not sure by doing this my warranty remains on the engine even though the dealer said it wont effect it. basically my question is, will it increase my hp and is the dealer correct about not voiding my warranty? thanks
*info* i say TBE because the dealer said the pipe would start from the turbo all the way to the exhaust while keeping the 2 resonators for air pollution standard. need some advice before running back to mitsu and saying sure, u can do it or get **** because it will void the warranty in future
Old May 26, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You really shouldn't be modding if you're worried about your warranty, and if you are going to mod, then you shouldn't be talking to the dealer, nor paying them for exhausts and installations. I don't know what TBE has 2 resonators, but it probably makes little-to-no power and definitely not enough for a $950 bill. I say to either mod your car and enjoy it without worrying about the warranty, or leave it as is and keep your warranty in tact. A Ralliart filter should be fine, but I don't see why they'd need to install it - there is no installation. It just drops in...
Old May 26, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

If it is a true 3" TBE it will add HP. In Aust do they have Cat converters? If so the factory one is 2.5" in and out, i would have to think that it still uses the factory cat so that would still be the biggest restriction.

If the ralliart filter is similar to a K&N type filter it should add a little HP.
Old May 26, 2006, 06:19 PM

im not to worried about the warranty purpose, to lose warranty on a TBE is not a big deal for me. im just thinking what the dealer said, "it doesnt increase hp, only allows it to breathe better". looking at the forum here i see alot of people saying its one of the best mods to do because you can notice the difference. if the dealers say it wont do jack to gain hp, then there is really no point getting it. our cats are 2.5 however the mistu one is 3" all the way including cat which the dealer said. 950 isnt much if you consider aust prices. if you think that is high, they want $1200 to install HID and $2200 to install HID and fog lights. our cars dont come with HID/fogs
Old May 26, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

i wouldent let the dealer do anything
they will find any way to *** u
Old May 26, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Air filters and exhausts systems do not ADD power. They simply allow the engine to "breathe easier" thereby releasing the power it already has. If they want to claim thier products won't void your warranty and it's a major concern for you, GET IT IN WRITING! Otherwise it's your word against theirs. On the same hand, make them PROVE to you in writing that adding your own exhaust or air filter will void said warranty.

Too bad Magnusson Moss Warranty Act doesn't apply to you
Old May 26, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

$950 for an exhaust installation?
what exhaust is it?

dude, get your own exhaust with high flow cat or test pipe, jack your car up on jack stands, and put it on yourself, its as easy as easy gets.
Old May 26, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

FYI $950 AUD=$719 USD. I think he means the price is for the exhaust + install, at least I hope that is the case.
Old May 26, 2006, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Breathing mods without engine management may do more harm than good to your HP bottom line...
Old May 26, 2006, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

I've spoken with the head service managers at Long Beach Mitsubishi, Huntington Beach Mitsu, and South Coast Mitsu, and all of them said a turbo back exhaust will not void anything. Nor will a drop in air filter.

Remember, according to the Magnussen Moss warranty act, the dealer carries the burdon of proof that the modification you made to the vehicle caused the damage which you are trying to cover under warranty.

South Coast Mitsu sells exhausts, clutches, and many other mods. So it seems to me that they're the most mod-friendly dealer in SoCal.

Just don't flash your car and expect them to honor anything warranty related even if it had nothing to do with the flash.

Most of all..... NEVER post your engine mods on this website. Mitsu has its spies here and have used posts on this forum to void peoples warranties. I think Stew was one of the victims of mitsubishi spies.
Old May 26, 2006, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Andrew LB
I've spoken with the head service managers at Long Beach Mitsubishi, Huntington Beach Mitsu, and South Coast Mitsu, and all of them said a turbo back exhaust will not void anything. Nor will a drop in air filter.

Remember, according to the Magnussen Moss warranty act, the dealer carries the burdon of proof that the modification you made to the vehicle caused the damage which you are trying to cover under warranty.

South Coast Mitsu sells exhausts, clutches, and many other mods. So it seems to me that they're the most mod-friendly dealer in SoCal.

Just don't flash your car and expect them to honor anything warranty related even if it had nothing to do with the flash.

Most of all..... NEVER post your engine mods on this website. Mitsu has its spies here and have used posts on this forum to void peoples warranties. I think Stew was one of the victims of mitsubishi spies.
Has anyone actually had warranty service done with a TBE, air filter, etc. at one of these dealerships? If so that is awesome!!!!!

Also, does a TBE really not provide any gains??? I find that slightly hard to believe.
Old May 26, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Eggy
Has anyone actually had warranty service done with a TBE, air filter, etc. at one of these dealerships? If so that is awesome!!!!!

Also, does a TBE really not provide any gains??? I find that slightly hard to believe.
I've had warranty work done to my car and I have a full 3" turbo back exhaust and an Ecutek reflash. So far, my dealer has fixed my leaky oil problem, a timing belt, and and oil pressure sending unit under warranty. They've also paid for a week's worth of rental car service. (The tech guy's know what I have too)

All I have to say is to be cool with your service department. Doesn't hurt to buy them a pack of smokes and what not for working on your car. Keep them happy and you will be happy.

I'm pushing 340 whp by the way. So yeah, a full tbe provides hp. (with a tune)
Old May 26, 2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
I've had warranty work done to my car and I have a full 3" turbo back exhaust and an Ecutek reflash. So far, my dealer has fixed my leaky oil problem, a timing belt, and and oil pressure sending unit under warranty. They've also paid for a week's worth of rental car service. (The tech guy's know what I have too)

All I have to say is to be cool with your service department. Doesn't hurt to buy them a pack of smokes and what not for working on your car. Keep them happy and you will be happy.

I'm pushing 340 whp by the way. So yeah, a full tbe provides hp. (with a tune)
950 is TBE + install. no tune. so what im understanding is that the dealership is correct about the TBE not adding hp to the car unless it is tune correct? if so then its not worth it because they wont be tuning the ecu
Old May 27, 2006, 02:21 AM
Evolved Member

A full turbo back exhaust WILL increase your turbo spool without a tune.
Old May 27, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Andrew LB...this guy lives in Australia. So MMWA doesn't apply to him. Perhaps they have something similar but quoting what stateside dealers say won't help in this situation.

If you have a TBE that hurts your exhuast flow then you didn't bother to research the product and you deserve what you get.