Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how do you change defi color

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
how do you change defi color

im really trying to find a way to change the back light on my defi d gauges to red. i did bolsen's how to for the stock gauge cluster and holy crap. awsome. now i want my defi's to match. how do i do it. there is not 1 thread here on evom telling you how nore if it cant b done. i seached for days. maby i still missing it. or do you know. posts what you know.
Old May 27, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

anyone have an idea how to do it or anything.
Old May 27, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be really tough, The gauges are pretty sensitive, especially if you take them apart. They are lit by LED lights, I would not attempt taking it apart if your not good with fragile pieces. I have had one of those defi D's apart before, its not simple. They are in an enclosed case that really is not meant to be taken apart. I went ahead and got the Defi BF Amber 60mm gauge set up.
Old May 27, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superscout03
It would be really tough, The gauges are pretty sensitive, especially if you take them apart. They are lit by LED lights, I would not attempt taking it apart if your not good with fragile pieces. I have had one of those defi D's apart before, its not simple. They are in an enclosed case that really is not meant to be taken apart. I went ahead and got the Defi BF Amber 60mm gauge set up.
well i got it apart. no problem. inside yes is very sensitive. i wonder if i bring it to a place to have them change the led's out. could this help.?????????
Old May 27, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

so im gessing no one has ever done this be4. some one must have.
Old May 27, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

bump for some hope,
Old May 27, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

You're probly better off selling them and buying ambers. Don't think anyone has tried changing them before.
Old May 27, 2006, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
You're probly better off selling them and buying ambers. Don't think anyone has tried changing them before.
i know. but i may just try. i might ge the 52mm ones trhat are red. but thats where the green comes in. lol.
Old May 28, 2006, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

well if you really think you can change out the LED's you can go to radio shack and purchase individual LED lights, But the ones yhat are in the defi gauges are the flat panel LED's that are connected to the circuit board itself. If you find the correct replacement LED's you could do it. Pain in the a$$ though.
Or just try placing a red transparent film on the backside of the gauge face. They make red tint you can purchase somewhere....
Old May 28, 2006, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superscout03
well if you really think you can change out the LED's you can go to radio shack and purchase individual LED lights, But the ones yhat are in the defi gauges are the flat panel LED's that are connected to the circuit board itself. If you find the correct replacement LED's you could do it. Pain in the a$$ though.
Or just try placing a red transparent film on the backside of the gauge face. They make red tint you can purchase somewhere....
holy crap i forgot about that. il try that and get back to you on the red film.
Old May 28, 2006, 08:19 PM
Former Sponsor

One of our guys at the audio shop looked into this. In his words it's very difficult and really not worth the effort. i would just sell and buy ambers.
Old May 28, 2006, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mark@AMS
One of our guys at the audio shop looked into this. In his words it's very difficult and really not worth the effort. i would just sell and buy ambers.
do you think i should try the red film 1st. or do you think the color will come out different then red. it woukld be easy to do. but do you think it would work.

they make 52mm gauges that are red right. maby il get them. any link to pics of them.
Old May 28, 2006, 08:24 PM
Former Sponsor

I am not sure how the tint would hold up or if the gauge is bright enough to over power tint? Thats one thing i like about SW gauges the replaceable L.E.D.
Old May 28, 2006, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mark@AMS
I am not sure how the tint would hold up or if the gauge is bright enough to over power tint? Thats one thing i like about SW gauges the replaceable L.E.D.
true true. well is there a site where i can find defi 52 mm im not a fan of 60's but i like the red.
Old May 28, 2006, 08:28 PM
Former Sponsor

http://www.edoperformance.com/ has good selection of defi's.

Quick Reply: how do you change defi color