Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My first ride ever in an Evo.... Impressions and questions.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2006, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first ride ever in an Evo.... Impressions and questions.

Well, I contacted one of the members on this forum, JapanEvo4 a while back about meeting up sometime since we live pretty close to one another. Well, he (Jon), was too kind and not only gave me a demonstration of his ride, but had me stay and celebrate his birthday with him and his friends. The car and the party were both excellent but I just wanted to share my experience in the Evo 4.

This car was unbelievable. I couldn't keep still the the seat the entire time, and part of the reason is probably because I was being pulled right against the damn thing thanks to the boost The car is absolutely gorgeous and I honestly like the interior more in these older models then the new ones. It really makes me wonder why they decided to change it so much.... oh well. I also really liked the seats in the JDM Evo because they were narrow and gripped like a glove. I am a bit worried as to how much wider the USDM seats will be.

Anyway, it was my first time in an Evo, and now I KNOW this will be my next car (well, a IX).

So now a few questions:

His car had I think a TBE and intake and he was estimating maybe 30 more hp? I think this is possible because the earlier models didn't need reflashes to be making power with mods. Anyway, how will my IX compare to his car? Will it be about the same in terms of power? Faster? Slower?

Actually just one other question... has anyone exchanged their USDM seats for JDM ones with someone in Japan????

Thanks!

-Aaron
Old May 27, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

A bone stock 9 will be as fast or faster than the car you rode in. With minor mods.. a good flash and a tbe the 9 is a monster.
Old May 27, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vishnu_Evo8
A bone stock 9 will be as fast or faster than the car you rode in. With minor mods.. a good flash and a tbe the 9 is a monster.
I was hoping you would say that

Awesome!!!!!!!!
Old May 29, 2006, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Bump.

Anyone with more info???
Old May 29, 2006, 12:52 AM
Ike
Evolving Member

The seats in the USDM are still pretty snug and are the best seats in a production car that I've ever sat in. I'd be shocked if you were disappointed since they're clearly not made for fat Americans like the USDM STI seats (I was quite disappointed in those).
Old May 29, 2006, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ike
The seats in the USDM are still pretty snug and are the best seats in a production car that I've ever sat in. I'd be shocked if you were disappointed since they're clearly not made for fat Americans like the USDM STI seats (I was quite disappointed in those).

LOL, funny thing is is that most STI owners I have seen weren't that small neither....get my drift. Dude an evo 9 is such a bad a__ car . I have an evo 8 but plan to own a 9 in the future ( maybe). I honestly think the evo 9 will be a hard car to come by in two years in IMO. Good luck!
Old May 29, 2006, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

The guy who took me out in the IV said the same thing. He said he took a JDM STi out and he felt the seats in that were really wide too. Maybe the USDM and JDM seats are the same in the STi???

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the seats aren't too wide. I can't wait to grab my car. I'm counting the days till I get back to California.
Old May 29, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

I love the seats in my IX! Much better than the Subie seats, imo.
Old May 29, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I think the IV will own the IX on a road coarse.

curb weight = 2,970

curb weight = 3,274
Old May 29, 2006, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah but consider this:

The IX is 286hp against 280hp for the IV, ok not much.. It's 289lb-ft which is 40kg-m against 36kg-m for the IV.. It's MIVEC which i am sure is more responsive, it's ACD and AYC (at least the ones we got!)

I ran against an evo VI (not a Tommy Makinen) here (full exhaust system) with my former VII and my current IX.. The VI keeps up pretty well but the recent models take it out slowly..

But then again, i watched vicky's video run (evo VI vs evo IX) and i read the threads and i'm all confused!!

Wael
Old May 29, 2006, 03:42 PM

Hehe evo4 I rode in a evo 5 in HK once and man its a monster. I rode in an evo 9 USDM later on and it didn't feel the same.
Old May 29, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

This thread is getting me confused haha.

The Evo 4 definitely felt raw. I was wishing the whole time i had something to compare it to.
Old May 30, 2006, 02:14 AM

If you want something more raw/lighter get an RS.

But you're going to have to test drive an new one, it's going to feel different than a Evo 4. Just because an Evo IV, is well, old..

And if you don't like the seats, just get some aftermarket Brides.. that's no big deal compared to the price of a new car.

But a Evo 9 with flash/TBE/intake should be faster than a IV with same mods. The weight difference is not that big a deal; with a fat friend in the passenger seat they weigh the same.

And a Evo 4 isn't going to own a newer car on the road course, that is such a dumb thing to say.
Old May 30, 2006, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SLO4DR
If you want something more raw/lighter get an RS.

But you're going to have to test drive an new one, it's going to feel different than a Evo 4. Just because an Evo IV, is well, old..

And if you don't like the seats, just get some aftermarket Brides.. that's no big deal compared to the price of a new car.

But a Evo 9 with flash/TBE/intake should be faster than a IV with same mods. The weight difference is not that big a deal; with a fat friend in the passenger seat they weigh the same.

And a Evo 4 isn't going to own a newer car on the road course, that is such a dumb thing to say.
why is it a dumb thing to say that???

Also I want some of the basic amenities... the Evo 4 still had power windows, etc.
Old May 30, 2006, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

not that it makes much difference, but aesthetically, the JDM evos have had a much better climate control package since the Evo III. Hell, we dont even get the auto-AC or a 2 DIN audio option. Like I said - that doesnt make much difference on a track, but for a daily driver.

In regards to seats, the JDM ones are nice. I'd trade my US seats in for JDM ones anyday.

More to the topic: I remember when the evo 4 first came out. At the time I really loved the Evo III (still do) and I thought that mitsu ruined the design with the 4. I did quickly get used to it though. They look really nice with some nice wheels and a drop.

The evo 4 was the last one prior to going to the slightly wider body style though. I wonder if that would make any difference in track handling.