Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dry Rotting Tires

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2006, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dry Rotting Tires

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone knows about dry rotting tire? How long does it take to occur and under what circumstances? I am going to have one of my vehichles sitting for 12 months and only putting about 500 miles on the car during that time period.
Old May 28, 2006, 11:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I had dry rot on some Toyo Proxes, but that was in Vegas. I don't know if it will be a problem in Philly. FWIW, I had my Camry sitting idle for almost a year since I bought my Evo, and the Firestone tires did not dry rot at all. THat's with a full sumer under the California sun.
Old May 28, 2006, 06:23 PM

bump
Old May 28, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Put the car up on jackstands and take the wheels off....that will eliminate dryrot and/or flatspotting.

But, you cannot leave the suspension hang, so place your jack stands on a load bearing part of your suspension. That way, the suspension is compressed like the car is parked, and your tires are safe from the enviornment.

my $0.02

-Vince
Old May 28, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Here's some technique on long term storage. Thoroughly clean your car, inside, outside, underneath, and so on. This will get rid of the corrosive materials you pick up just driving around. Put a good coat of wax on your car, and high quality car cover over it. Put the car on stands and remove the wheels. Thoroughly wash the wheels and tires. Do not put anything (Armor all and so on) on the rubber. Get four large trash bags, and put your wheels/tires inside the bag. Get as much of the air out of the bag and zip tie them shut. Store your wheels/tires on its side (not standing up), in a dark room where the temperature is constant throughout the year.

In addition, change your oil and filter, have as little gas in the tank as possible, and disconnect your battery.

If you have access to Nitrogen, fill your tires 100% with it. It’ll keep the temperature in the tire more constant, and it doesn’t have all the crap that’s in air.

Bringing the car out of storage.
Change the Oil and filter, spark plugs, charge the battery (you may need a new one), put fresh gas in it, bleed the brakes (since the car is still on stands), and then put the wheels/tires back on. Go for a short drive, to make sure everything is ok, then go for a longer drive (30+ minutes plus).