Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

K&N air filter power gain

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 208 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
With the K&N drop in filter you can usually gain from 5 to 8 whp. Is a good mod.
If you run it with the intake plastic box cover off, I have seen as much as an additional 12 whp gain.
I was just curious, how do you run a K&N, or stock filter without having the box cover on. Meaning, what do u use to hold the filter in place still?

Thanks
Old May 29, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ill_take_one
I was just curious, how do you run a K&N, or stock filter without having the box cover on. Meaning, what do u use to hold the filter in place still?

Thanks
Drop the K&N filter in, then take the 4 clips that hold the top box and put them in the up position, then take a rubber band (black looks better) and rap it around the 4 clips. The tension from the rubber band will keep the filter in place. That is it.
Old May 29, 2006, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U could just run a K&N cone filter AMS sells one with the adapter for $60 and Bruschur's is $80. wouldn't these flow better than a drop-in??
https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...products_id=77
http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=170

Last edited by nudge120; May 29, 2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old May 29, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Drop the K&N filter in, then take the 4 clips that hold the top box and put them in the up position, then take a rubber band (black looks better) and rap it around the 4 clips. The tension from the rubber band will keep the filter in place. That is it.
Old May 29, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jhero23
Thanks for your help on this thread. You are great, .
Old May 29, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry, but if u gonna open the cowl to the engine heat, wouldnt that make you lose hp's???

With all the efforts ppl try to make for cold air intake, you're exactly doing the opposite! The engine growl will sure be higher and wilder but it'll only add to your 'moral' power gain and not the real power gain..

Wael

BRWAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! :-)
Old May 29, 2006, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for your help on this thread. You are great, .
And you are a ricer.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Waz996
sorry, but if u gonna open the cowl to the engine heat, wouldnt that make you lose hp's???

With all the efforts ppl try to make for cold air intake, you're exactly doing the opposite! The engine growl will sure be higher and wilder but it'll only add to your 'moral' power gain and not the real power gain..

Wael

BRWAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! :-)
You will gain some power. In very hot days, you could loose some power
Think about this. Take a look at all this intakes in the pictures. They all make power, and yet they are exposed to the underhood hot air any way. Some of the intakes on this pics are actually the best ones for our applications.
At any rate, get the one that is better for you. If you preffer to keep it like stock with the box closed, then that would be fine too. With the K&N in there it will be a little improvement over OEM anyways, .

Last edited by 04AWDTURBOEVO; Dec 12, 2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Just makes sure you do it right and not the rubber band way. The only time the rubber band is going to make power is on the dyno. Cold air is always better than hot air.
Old May 29, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jhero23
And you are a ricer.
How so, do you know me Jr.?
Take a look at my car:
1st. Pic = very clean Apex Silver Evo. Not only looks good, but it runs good. Makes 400 whp and 400 plus Torque. Runs 11's in the 1/4 mile. No ricer here, .

2nd. pic. Take a look at my Engine bay. Clean, with all the mods it needs to make the power. No ricer underhood here, .

3rd pic of my Evo's interior. Don't you which yours looked this good, .

You just got burned, Jr. Stop while you are ahead.

Show me your stuff, then we can listen to you. Ricer ha? You are an internet .

Manie

Last edited by 04AWDTURBOEVO; Dec 12, 2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old May 29, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

1st pic - look at that old stock rims.

2nd pic - hey can you zoom it or make it bigger, I can't find the rubber bands.

3rd pic - the stock radio remind me of the days of 56k, did not know they still exist.
Old May 29, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the K&N drop in filter you can usually gain from 5 to 8 whp. Is a good mod.
If you run it with the intake plastic box cover off, I have seen as much as an additional 12 whp gain.
When you are ready, go with a good intake like the Injen or HKS. Those will make even more HP.
wow! what kinda crack are you smoking. why the hell would you want to take the top of the box off. It defeats the whole purpose of the design of the thing.

Also, save your money and stay away from HKS. They're are a lot of intakes out there much cheaper and just as good or better.
Old May 29, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

I am going to be watching all your threads for nonsence. So you better give straight answers when you participate. If not, I am going to burn you on everyone of them and make you look bad. Just like in this 2 threads today.
If you are going to try to help others, do it in a possitive way. So far you are 0 for 2.
A shame you are this way. What a joke.
Old May 29, 2006, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiCKlEyWiKeD
wow! what kinda crack are you smoking. why the hell would you want to take the top of the box off. It defeats the whole purpose of the design of the thing.

Also, save your money and stay away from HKS. They're are a lot of intakes out there much cheaper and just as good or better.
I can understand why you are in question here.
Take a look at the following link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199570

Is this you about 2 weeks ago asking for help on a simple subject?
Looks like you were not even sure how to hook up a boost controller/WGA.
Come on man, why are you coming in here questioning me when you, yourself are having trouble with your stuff? Give us a break!
I am sorry, I don't mean to keep hammering on you guys, but clearly, you are giving me no choice.
Lay off. Let me help the ones that need help. I can help you guys too, you know. How can I help you? I will give you a decent answer!

Last edited by 04AWDTURBOEVO; May 29, 2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old May 29, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

You drive a GSR.....I knew it...no wonder you got offended....well I apologize...did not mean to hurt your ego....its alright lil'guy...I know how that feels I used to have both, I end up letting go of the GSR.

Quick Reply: K&N air filter power gain