Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

K&N air filter power gain

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you'll make a few ponies...the most noticeable difference will be in throttle response. You'll also notice that your intake will be a little louder.
Old May 29, 2006, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I dont understand how some of you guys are saying an open air filter is better then just taking the top of the filter off.

Its the same freaking thing, you think your doing better with an open filter just sitting there in the engine bay

for someone on a budget the air-box with the cover off is fine, you do hear more of the turbo and the BOV is louder, or you can save up and buy an open filter.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:51 AM

i wouldnt go with the top of the air box off. I had a mazda speed protege and did a custom cold air intake install. At first the filter was at a position where no fresh air could enter at the bottom of the engine bay. I saw a significant loss in power. I could only imagine how much you could loose on a hot day with the top of the air box off.
No intake for me on the EVO. Im a B**** about my warranty.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
I can understand why you are in question here.
Take a look at the following link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199570

Is this you about 2 weeks ago asking for help on a simple subject?
Looks like you were not even sure how to hook up a boost controller/WGA.
Come on man, why are you coming in here questioning me when you, yourself are having trouble with your stuff? Give us a break!
I am sorry, I don't mean to keep hammering on you guys, but clearly, you are giving me no choice.
Lay off. Let me help the ones that need help. I can help you guys too, you know. How can I help you? I will give you a decent answer!
a little late but ummmm.....NO! I was only asking about boost creep on a wga. Nothing about a boost controller. That was a legitimate question because I was not sure of creep on the forge. Totally different from this lame thread and your lame attack.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

The K&N drop-in is good, gains you more power, IMO the stock airbox with the Ram induction system could even be better than the Suction Kit, it sucks the cold air from outside while the suction kit sucks the hot air from the engine if its not protected with a heat shield. try changing the pipe from the turbo to the airbox too, better for airflow!
Goodluck!
Old Jun 9, 2006, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Difference between Stock Filter and K&N Drop in can be found here...

http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?o...2&topic=8840.0
Old Jun 9, 2006, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

i dont believe in the the drop in filter giving you any noticable gains, best bet getting a whole aftermarket set-up suc has injen or hks.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SiCKlEyWiKeD
a little late but ummmm.....NO! I was only asking about boost creep on a wga. Nothing about a boost controller. That was a legitimate question because I was not sure of creep on the forge. Totally different from this lame thread and your lame attack.
Lame thread? Lame attack?

Did you not call me a crack head?

[QUOTE=SiCKlEyWiKeD]wow! what kinda crack are you smoking. why the hell would you want to take the top of the box off. It defeats the whole purpose of the design of the thing.

The thread may be lame to you, but not to the person who needed help!
Take a look at this snap shot I took of one of your past thread. Very similar to this one. You needed help then. Why call this one lame. Some post a thread to get help, then people like you come in them and call others names. You did to me. Then you complain of an attack? Treat others as you would like to be treated!
By the way, that last question in the snap shot of your other thread, do you see where you were wondering about the boost controller beign properly installed? That is what I was talking about. Blind leading the blind! Sorry Mr. Manny.

Manie

Last edited by 04AWDTURBOEVO; Dec 12, 2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyRedRSIX
does anyone know how much hp to expect with just an drop in k and n air filter. i know its not much , but im curious. just bought one online and ive heard it makes the turbo a bit louder.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraist
To be conservative, somewhere around 40awhp on a Mustang Dyno. You should be in the low 12s with this. Remember, just WOT shift, drop the clutch hard from start, you got this. Launch that baby! I have one and I kill vipers and 03 cobra mustangs. I put on the side of my car `` SNAKE EATER. ``

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jun 11, 2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 02:54 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
i dont believe in the the drop in filter giving you any noticable gains, best bet getting a whole aftermarket set-up suc has injen or hks.
Yeah, except you'll need a tune to get the best of gains from those as well.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

It will lean out your fuel mixture and give you some more power, until you get knock and the ECU pulls timing. A tune will give you more power with the stock filter by leaning out the mixture in safe places so you don't get knock.
I have used K&N filters in the past and have decided not to put one in the EVO. They will last the life of your car at the expence of a lot of maintenance. You will need to clean and re-oil it and if you add too much oil, you will need to clean your MAF sensor. I have spoken to tuners about the airbox thing and they agree that until you're pushing 400awhp, you can stick with the box and a good paper filter. Although they can tune for most intakes, there isn't that much change caused from the lack of available airflow for a stock turbo.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vboy425
LOL. what a ***ing joke
+1... haha