Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Advantages of cold air boxes

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advantages of cold air boxes

I decided to do a little experiment using my stock airbox tube (the semi-flat one coming from the grill to the box)and some aluminum wrapped polycrbonate plates to fabricate a make shift airbox. So far it cost me about $28.00, took about 1-2 hrs of playing around. It wont win any photo contests but it has isolated my air filter from all the hot engine compartment air. After a high speed run I checked the underhood temps via an IR temp device and showed the temp on the outside of the box (engine side) to be 132 D and the inside of the box @ 96 D. I also routed a dryer duct tube from the lower front into my box.
So far my BD has indicated a fairly noticable gain from about 3000 rpms all the way up to RL. It seems to make a big difference durring the hottest part of the day here in S. FL. as well.
Just thought you might want to know.
Old May 28, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Did you do a before test to see what temps the original airbox would be?
Old May 28, 2006, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

thats cool, me and my buddys always used to try to make things to help performance.... they didnt always turn out pretty either haha.

get us some pics, we will be prepared for a not photogenic custom cold air
Old May 28, 2006, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

i know evodave rigged up something sort of like that, i used to dryer duct and it fits perfectly. i got a shopvac and blew some air onto it for a few feet away and you can feel it pushing a ton of air up there that would'nt normally be. i can feel a diffrence but it might just be placebo effect, but it won't hurt
Old May 28, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

No before temp testing due to the fact that when I had the stock box, I hadn't even thought that far ahead (you know how you start out with one mod, then another,etc,etc.).
I did check the overall temps before I fabricated the airbox/shelf. I'm sure you can imagine all that hot air getting sucked into the turbo. The tempnear the filter after normal driving was 130-136 D. going closer to the engine temps jump rather quickly to 150 and about 290-310 just above the exhaust manifold. Keep in mind that I checked the temp while the car was parked, driving would cool things down inside the box even more. I'm going to do a test w/ a wireless remote thermometer, I'll let you know how it turns out.

When experimenting with perf mods I always shoot for the gain before I concern myself with looks, then if it's worthwhile I focus on the visual aspect.