Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stickers and ME...Sponsors unveiled...

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2006, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stickers and ME...Sponsors unveiled...

I know...Goofy title!

Well, I posted the pics in the Show and Shine. Yes...My car has stickers. But, to clear things up. Let me post my Evo life story here on the Net for the world to see! It could be good therapy for me not being able to modify like I want.

Once upon a time I had a 2003 Dodge SRT-4. It was insane! 500whp and tons of fun. I bought it new in 2003 and immediately wanted to make it into a monster. I started my letter writing campaign for sponsorships to compete in the 2004-2005 drag season here in Florida. Towards the end of the buildup, the letters started running in. For people who go to "Carsponsorships.com" and such, this is NOT that. These are real proposals to BIG companies. On board, I had AEM, DC Sports, Exhaust Depot, AGP Turbo, Crane Cams, ClutchMasters, and my local shop Lujan Motosports. For people who don't know. Sponsorships come in many forms. Some are full out FREE PARTS sponsorships. Some are partials where they give you a partial sponsorship which is say 50% off of Jobber. Jobber is the price that say Pep Boys pays for a part from the supplier. These parts may be free or partial...But they come with a price. The price is signing a contract. Most larger companies have you sign a tax for because it is a write off for their company as ADVERTISEMENT. You also sign a contract for advertising. Stating that you will attend events, that you give them the right to use pictures of your car in advertisements, you will DISPLAY THEIR STICKERS! This is how they advertise!

If anyone has been to a big race, you know, there is a "CONTINGENCY" booth setup and you get a form, and they offer the stickers for that race. Should you win the race, you fill the form out and the results...Send it to said company and you get money! Not a bad gig for a weekend event and having stickers on your car.

Now we are in 2006 and we have the Evo. I bought the car in December of 2005. Of course the show and race season is right around the corner. The contract renewals filled my mail box. obviously from my signature, i only kept AEM and DC Sports for the reason that the other companies didn't make too many parts for the Evo. I have been sending in proposals to major players since then hoping to help me on my quest to a wicked car...as well as bring them business.

Why do I want to be a sticker ***** anyway?
It is simple. I am married! Like I said, I bought the car in December. Kind of sprung it on the wife. She said now problem. However, when I got home, there was a "Contract" from her! They were stipulations to buying the car. What does a good...wait...SMART husband do?! He signs it! The last line of the contract read "No buying parts for the Evo except window tint" (it is florida so it gets stupid hot!) Well, that contract had a key word that I focused on: BUYING! So when the goodies from AEM and DC Sports started showing up, she freaked. I showed her the sponsorship contract and she calmed down. Apparently it is OK to get FREE parts! Now I can't lie and say that I haven't tossed a charge here and there...But mostly for little things that she won't notice anyway. In hindsight, I am goofy and put over $20K in my old car. But the motor was completely built, suspension built, tranny built...It was one hell of a car. The $20K was BEFORE any sponsored parts. The house is full here. I have my wife, 3 awesome kids, and 3 decent cars. While I will always be a car guy at heart, I suppose there are times to grow up and focus on the real things in life. You all know the price of an MR. I am making my payments on it as I don't believe in HUGE downpayments. So it isn't that cheap monthly.

So to end, by no means am I mad because people say "Ugh the stickers make it ugly". I don't care about that. I am just trying to offer reasoning as to why some people like myself have vinyl on their car. I for one do not believe in faux stickers. The Mitsu dealer stuff came off the car there at the dealership. I told them that they didn't cut me a break, so why would I want to advertise for them!?! Some people may like posing and putting neat stickers all over. More power to them. Some though may have reasons behind it.

To end, should you chose to work your way through the 4 zillion letters that you WILL write in hopes of obtaining something free, be wary that the websites that "offer" car sponsorships if you pay X amount of money are bogus. Large companies that the site claim they work with have enough overhead to toss out a set of wheels or a cd deck or whatnot to get their product out there. they do not need to hire a website to "recruit" vehicles to sponsor. It takes a lot of time and effort to get these sponsorships. I go to little local shows here in Miami. But I do go to West Palm and in July, Orlando just to get in a show...win or lose. It is the advertising that the sponsor wants. And if you play your cards right and maintain a good relationship with the ones you get, you will be happy!

Thanks everyone for letting me babble.
Old May 31, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

any cliff notes i can read?
Old May 31, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Very good post...

Somtimes people need to realize there are good guys behind some of those sponsored cars.

Good luck with the wife and kids!!!
Old May 31, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutobonEvo
any cliff notes i can read?

unfortunately no. I am under the influence of some "narcotic cough medicine" which I suppose has codeine to ensure I don't feel the pain of my chest caving in. So I just decided to get a little talkative.

And thanks for the luck with the wife and kids. The one mod I CAN talk the wife into is a Recaro car seat for the baby!

Kris
Old May 31, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you seen the # of stickers on my car? I have 9 sponsors and 1 sticker. I only use magnets, and I only wear them during races. Stickers (vinyl) cheapen the Evo.

You don't have to wear a ton of stickers ALL THE TIME to get (or maintain) sponsorships. During a show (or race), it makes sense obviously.

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 31, 2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old May 31, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Have you seen the # of stickers on my car? I have 9 sponsors and 1 sticker. I only use magnets, and I only wear them during races. Stickers (vinyl) cheapen the Evo.

You don't have to wear a ton of stickers ALL THE TIME to get (or maintain) sponsorships. During a show (or race), it makes sense obviously.
I was hoping for an antagonist to chime in and I was sure it would be you! Not being an *** but seriously...If it isn't Warr's way...It's no way. I read too many of the posts that you chime in on.

But, yes, magnets are a novel idea. Unfortunately, with drag racing looking more and more gloomy on the horizon, I decided to stick to shows for right now. And I think that magnets would cheapen the look...Even if it isn't a trailer queen.

But yes...Warr is right....magnets are a um...option I suppose.
Old May 31, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Magnets would be a good choice, Im willing to bet most sponsors would want their stuff advertised 24/7 and wouldnt be willing to let him use magnets or I wonder if they even offer that choice.
Old May 31, 2006, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Well, it's the choice I made, and they agreed. There is nothing to advertise 24/7 while I'm driving to work at 35mph, and it just makes the car look stupid, so I do my advertising at races. If I did shows, I'd advertise then. Despite all that, the most advertising I do is online to a MUCH LARGER audience than would ever see me on the road or at a show.

Kris, you can make whatever comment you want, but you're basically just trying to justify why you riced your car out with stickers unnecessarily, and it doesn't fly with me. Maybe it will with others. You say you're sticking to shows, because drag racing isn't looking good on the horizon, but then what is the point of the parts? To just put them on the car and let it sit around for people to look at? Not much fun there. Also, drag racing isn't even the purpose of the Evo, so that shouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind.
Old May 31, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Well, it's the choice I made, and they agreed. There is nothing to advertise 24/7 while I'm driving to work at 35mph, and it just makes the car look stupid, so I do my advertising at races. If I did shows, I'd advertise then. Despite all that, the most advertising I do is online to a MUCH LARGER audience than would ever see me on the road or at a show.

Kris, you can make whatever comment you want, but you're basically just trying to justify why you riced your car out with stickers unnecessarily, and it doesn't fly with me. Maybe it will with others. You say you're sticking to shows, because drag racing isn't looking good on the horizon, but then what is the point of the parts? To just put them on the car and let it sit around for people to look at? Not much fun there. Also, drag racing isn't even the purpose of the Evo, so that shouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind.
Oh Christ. It is going to turn into another Warr crap threading. Ok...First, without scanning the copy of the Seibon contract...A DECAL must be on the Sponsored part...Magnets and carbon fiber don't mesh well. I am sure that I could break down and get 50 stickers of "SEIBON" printed and just peel them off after each show.

Your advertising online which is unquestionably a large niche audience, gets dampened by the comments and the threads that you choose to take over. Especially in a "community" where we should all share a common bond of a love for Evo's, if not cars themselves, therefore, making "Rice out your Evo" comments come off as childish, if not unprofessional being a representative of your companies.

While drag racing isn't the purpose of the Evo, you sure spend a lot of time interrogating people of how in the world they ran the time they did with the mods they have at the altitude and yada yada. Even mentioning your own statistics at drag racing and how you are at a loss as to why you can't manage to get the times that you are looking for.

And the parts....well, to say I don't want to go fast but be sponsored with some nice parts, when was the last time you were at a car show checking out some HOT STOCK CARS?

Dude, you have a nice car and you may be an Evo God in some place but seriously man, find someone elses thread to spread your Holier than Thou rhetoric and how myself, or anyone else can be as great as you are. I get a ton of PM's how did you get sponsored...Why the stickers...This and that. What better than to have a location to point them to? That was the whole point of this thread. Not to show off with my "nine sponsors" and a cute little title under my name and a big picture of my Evo....Can you be that passive?
Old May 31, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

great post Kris as long as you love and enjoy the evo it really doens't matter how many stickers you have on it. i wouldn't mind getting all those free parts and if you enjoy going to shows and showing off, more power to you. my advice, ignore the fools and keep dong what you do.
Old May 31, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I did some searching, and found this

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187828

Does your car still look like that? If so I dont see anything wrong with it at all...
Old May 31, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BigBADGSX
I did some searching, and found this

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187828

Does your car still look like that? If so I dont see anything wrong with it at all...

Actually, more like THIS
Old May 31, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

this is what his cars look like. notice the 3-4 small stickers that people are making such a big deal out of..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=203756
Old May 31, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

SO maybe that some people can take an honest look at the car now, their HARSH opinions might be able to change.

Im guessing they thought you might have had lambo doors and some other things hahaha People are so quick to judge.

Nice car.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, now that I've ventured into the Show and Shine forum to view this masterpiece of a car, none of my comments apply. He didn't link to the car originally, so in order for someone to go make an entire post in a different forum justifying his use of stickers, you'd think it was an abomination of automotive machinery, but this is not the case. I am not FOND of the 3 stickers, but jeez, they are nothing compared to most show cars.

Kris, your car looks awesome, and it's a shame you can't race it, but there's nothing wrong with those stickers. I apologize for my earlier comments, because although that is exactly how I feel, those feelings do not apply to your car and how it looks currently.

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 31, 2006 at 11:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Stickers and ME...Sponsors unveiled...