Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a 98 GSX: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2304504
I now have an 03 EVO: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2304051

Both low 12s cars but the EVO is just an all around better platform. I haven't looked back since.

I got rid of my GSX for several reasons....

1. It had aged to a point that something always needed to be looked at. Even if its as simple as motor mounts, bushings, or rust, something always needed attention.
2. To make it quick I found myself paying as much for the DSM as I would have for an EVO.
3. Nearly ever time I left the house I saw a DSM mostly driven by highschool kids.
4. Its respected more than a DSM simply because other car enthusiasts know its a reliable all around performer. DSMs are known to be straight line cars that break every three passes.
5. New cars have a new, solid, tight feel that cannot be replicated by modding an older car.
6. I didn't buy it for this reason but have found it to be very true....its more practical.

This is the first car I've had that has met and surpassed my expectations.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Jun 1, 2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the ultimate DSM, a 90 Plymouth Laser

it was more or less stock with a bunch of miles on it. i replaced the turbo with a 16g because the 14b was on its way out, and the manifold with an evo 3 manifold while i had it out. i put in an act clutch too. i think i owned it for not even 6 months and got sick of things breaking. it was never anything big or expensive, just things that took it out of commission. it came down to either keep paying to fix things as they break and replacing the whole suspension and every rubber bit on the car because they were all worn or just saying screw it and getting a different car. i went with a new mazdaspeed protege, which was more reliable and handled 100000000x better just straight line slower. after 2 years of that i switched to the evo where i get the power of the laser (plus a bunch) and the reliability and handling of the MSP. nowadays, DSMs, especially 1gs, should not really be daily drivers. weekend/track cars, of course. something you need to get to work every day? nope
Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

always loved mitsu's. I had a 2g then got the evo. then sold the dsm, and bought another evo. So 2 evos now, no dsms, but i want a GSX back again. Great car.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
91 black GVR4 (my favorite)
92 white GVR4
92 white laser AWD 6bolt/4bolt
92 black talon AWD 6bolt/4bolt
99 silver GSX 12.20@112
Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:59 PM

I've owned 2 1g dsm's..but those were my first two vehicles, I owned a 240sx after that and a 2004 Ion Redline Supercharged.

Wow, those things were grenades on wheels man (the DSM's)

I just got my evo last week and I love it, no regrets here. The thing is a driving machine, I feel like it's a extension of myself which I have never felt before in any other car.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Been into dsm's since buying my first one in 95. I've never had much of a budget to throw at any of them but ive been an avid drag racer on a budget since then. My cars have been 95 GST (only FWD I ever had, wont make that mistake again), 91 tsi awd, and then a 92 tsi AWD, with the best of them doing a low 12 @ 114 mph. Then I gave the 3000GT VR4 & Dodge stealths a try, with a best of 11.6 @116 from my 94 stealth. Early in 2004 I had a bullsh*t problem with my stealth and decided to part out everything and save up for an evo.

I was tired of the problems you have with old cars and the shortcuts that come from being a dsmer on a budget. You know.. AC doesnt work, didnt feel like fixing it, itermitent electrical problems that happen on 14 year old cars, weather stripping falling off, roof liner falling down. Just got old. About that time I was job hunting and was wearing my suite and just couldnt take the old car grief, said to hell with it and bought an 05 Evo.

Its nice having a newer car with that much potential, however, I do feel that its overpriced for what you get. Shoulda had more stock power for $30k. Stock, an LS1 rapes you. No big deal.. mod it.. but then i start thinking, I wanted a new car, when something else breaks, I want it to be someone elses problem.. I want my warranty, I dont want it denied just cause i put a catback or it or an MBC. So, while its damn nice to have and is a great all around car.. i do miss having my dsm or my 3000gt VR4. The evo handles great, has reasonable stock power.. but its not the kinda car I look at and go, gdamn i cant wait to 2.3 this ***** and slap a 50 trim on it. Cant.. would ruin the "new" aspect of it. Just my .02

Great car, but you need a project car to keep to so you dont ruin your evo. Unless you have enough $$ to spare that its irrelevant.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Had a 97 GSX 2.4L long rod engine (Pauter-Ross), 10.0:1 compression, FP3X cams 61mm P trim turbo.... fast fast fast. It made 521whp on only 23psi on FP's dyno. Sold it, bought the Evo, started road racing..... Never looked back.

jeff
Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:07 PM

I went from a 95 GST (mods TBE, Greddy BOV, UIP, and intake) that lasted me 8 years of continous abuse. To a 2004 Civic SI which drove me nuts due to lack of power. I had to get rid of the GST because I felt it was time for something new and down graded to an SI. She was diagnosed with the dreaded crank walk. So a year later of complaining the wife agreed to the EVO and the SI was out. I love my EVO and hopefully she be here for another 8 years.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by sud0u
I went from a 95 GST (mods TBE, Greddy BOV, UIP, and intake) that lasted me 8 years of continous abuse. To a 2004 Civic SI which drove me nuts due to lack of power. I had to get rid of the GST because I felt it was time for something new and down graded to an SI. She was diagnosed with the dreaded crank walk. So a year later of complaining the wife agreed to the EVO and the SI was out. I love my EVO and hopefully she be here for another 8 years.

oh god the EJ hatchback..

I had a 2004 Ion Redline before the EVO, mine was pretty quick but I just didn't like it. I could run EVO's from a roll in that saturn, but still something was missing.

Before someone screams bull**** I was putting down like 275whp in that saturn. No traction off the line, but hella quick from a roll.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I also have both a DSM (98' GST) and now my 03' TB Evo. I've gotta say, I understand the feeling of unease when driving my GST and hoping something will not break. Unlike driving the Evo with all the confidence in the world. It's roomy, the suspension is awesome, and doesn't need alot to go fast!
With my GST, I had to upgrade so much since the stock form wasn't cuttin' it! Sure, my GST is also faster than my Evo...so far! However, it's an older car and I gotta understand that with all the rattles and noises coming out of it. It's fast and still looks good, however there's such a great feeling getting into my Evo! I've only had my Evo for about 5 months, and have been loving it to death everyday!

Go with the Evo, and I'm sure you'll feel the same. The feeling of owning a machine like this is great!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a new 92 TSI AWD in 11/91. It now has 266,000 miles, has never been rebuilt, and has been probably to 35 states. It burns 1qt oil/1000 miles- the great 4G63. I bought an '06 MR 5 days ago. Obviously I am new to it, but even after 1 minute in an Evo you know they are very different cars with the Evo being much more serious than a DSM- stock for stock. 90 more HP/tq, MUCH stiffer ride, much better handling, etc. Bottom line is to have a nice DSM you are going to have to go thru the entire car- just like restoring a 30+ yr old car. It's going to need something fixed every few weeks (I know) and it gets tiring.

It sounds like you're tired too so step up to something new and enjoy.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 03:06 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that the dsm is getting parted , put back to stock, and sold. I really like reading all these responses. I had NO IDEA that there were this many evo owners, That had previously owned a dsm. It seems that everyone never looked back at their choice, Which I know I will not be regretting it. I love the feel of an evo (Only drove 1 in my life, For a short amount of time) and that was way more then enough to convince me that I need to get rid of my dsm. I love the way it felt while driving it. It felt like I was made for the car, And the interior did not take much time for me to adjust too. It was very confortable, Roomie, And when I gave it gas, I was not afraid that Something was going to fly off the car, Or endanger myself or the owner.

Thank you for all of these responses. You all have really helped me out alot. I can't believe I just made this thread earlier today, And it got so big in such a short amount of time. You all are very helpful it seems, And this is definatly a great forum. I am not useto coming here, And not getting bashed for wanting to sell my dsm =)
Old Jun 1, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had 5 Galant VR-4's..It was only a matter of time until I could afford the evo..
Old Jun 1, 2006, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

I've got a 99 GST that's I've done a lot of work to. I had to do a lot of work to it just to get it as good as the Evo off the dealer's lot. I still have the DSM; I've just put so much time, money, blood, and sweat into it, I just can't put a For Sale sign on it. The Evo is a MUCH more capiable car, but I still love my DSM.

Last edited by Talon; Jun 1, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

I have had 2 DSM'S(in my sig) and loved them both. Had alot of fun modding them including building the talon from a empty block up to the head in my garage but hated the fact everytime I would drive them I would be thinking about things breaking and constantly monitoring the DSM LINK. The EVO is more well rounded in performance and handling and the benifit of 4 doors. I couldnt leave the DSM world(its an addiction), tis the reason for going with the EVO and have no regrets.

Quick Reply: DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.