Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
owned 2 1g awd's, a gvr4, 2 2g's. . . modded & raced 1g's for around 10 years. owned 1 evo thus far. Probably worked on/built about 30-40 different DSM's over the years.

I would trade all of the dsm's (with all of the thousands upon thousands of $ in parts..... if not tens of thousands over the years) for my 1 evo in a NY second. my drag GSX (and 1st dsm i ever purchased) was way way faster straight line than my evo (close to 500whp) but even with a decent amount of suspension work, close to 600 lbs of weight reduction wide rims/tires, etc it couldn't handle as well as my stock evo.

When I bought the evo, I was totally confident in the car after 20 miles (on the ride home). It truly felt like an extension of me. I had never really felt that with a car before. I thought I did but I truly did not. Most of you will probably know what I mean. I have driven vets, stangs, 3kgt's, rx7's, various hondas, Fbodies, etc & nothing compared to the straight confidence that I experienced in this car. A feeling that I cannot justify with words.

The feeling of build quality is night & day. Everytime I read a "I hate evo interior" threads I chuckle.

I know exactly what you mean by saying that you have the "i wonder what is going to break today" feeling. I dreaded that feeling for many many years. I bought so many parts cars (didn't list as owning above) my basement looked like a DSM graveyard at one point.

Comparing the evo & DSM isn't really fair to the DSM. Apples & oranges really. I don't care what anyone says.... the evo is a superior vehicle PERIOD. I am in no way talking down the DSM. Somewhere in my heart there is a big void now that I do not own one anymore. Every time I see a 1G on the highway or a 2G pass me in traffic I am sure to throw the thumb up in the air out of appreciation. Maybe it's my little way of saluting the many that I have owned over the years that did pull through for me when I needed them or maybe it is my salute to the owner for being patient enough to stick with the car through all of the rediculous repairs. I have a lot of love for the DSM but I do not miss my feet/legs hanging out from under them nor the last minute dash to Autozone to get yet another $2 temporary repair so that I could get to work the next day. I have heard that the front desk folks at autozone do miss me greatly though. Maybe next oil change I will stop by to say hello. HAHA

P.S. with all of this in mind, anyone who underestimates a worked dsm because of rumors of breaking or price of vehicle is a fool. The price of cars that my GSX made look like a metro is surely in the millions when tallied up. It was just time to move on. I am glad that I did before and after car payment day.

Last edited by 91GSX; Jun 1, 2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 Dsm's here and the EVO is just a superior all around platform. A much better starting point and I could never go back to a DSM.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

i have a 98 gst with a 20g fmic 660's 3in exh, hks cams, afc you know the works lol and iam selling it if anyone is interested i drive a RR evo 7 rs2 now but still have the 2g i loved that car still do! my bf has a 90 gsx with fp green, 4 bolt rear, vpc, cams, tial external, 3in exh, yadda yadda all u dsm guys know the rest..... he drives a ww evo 9 mr now, and hes selling the 1g too but he really hates to get rid of it we are both into dsm's big time but we moved on to bigger and better things!! EVO"S lol lol

there will always be a place in my heart for dsm's....
Old Jun 1, 2006, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

i had a 97 gs-t w/50trim,dsmlink ect... it was real nice but when you go from a dsm to a evo it's not even a comparison!!!!!!!!!! the evo handles great,brakes well hell i used to warp my gs-t rotors all the time. even when my evo was stock it was funner to drive than my eclipse, the only thing i liked with the eclipse over the evo is my gs-t was a sexy *****!!!!!! buy a evo you won't regret it.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Shameless plug but whatever, this is my car: http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1320857

Still have it and am selling it. Evo has 4doors and feels light, but my Eclipse is a MONSTER.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 07:40 PM
Ike
Evolving Member

My first car was a 1990 Talon TSI. I've owned 4 cars since then, but for comparison purposes I got a WRX shortly after they came out and the WRX was a better car in every way save for maybe modability. The Evo I traded the WRX for is a better nearly every way save for the ride comfort and perhaps reliability (we'll see). The DSM was an impressive car in the early 90s, but it had its day and it's long in the tooth, it just can't compete with the modern AWD turbo cars in almost every aspect.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Im actually 2-sided here.. I absolutely LOVED my last Talon. I infact miss it very much. I've had a 95 6-bolt (my fav), 92 6bolt-4bolt, and my 1st car was 96 auto with leather....

I DEFF love my evo, however, the payments I have to make $460/mo are just starting to seem not worth it. Maybe If i had waited a little longer and saved a good down-payment and went brand new it'd be diff.

Suprisingly my last Talon didnt have many problems and it was the fastest of all of em I had. I miss it very much. The kid that bought it was a total douchebag.

I kinda wish I kept it and finished my 97-99 eclipse conversion and just made it REALLY fast. But I do absolutely love the looks/handling of my evo. My favorite car in the world. (if it was paid off, i might say the Evo by far)
Old Jun 1, 2006, 08:47 PM

$460 a month is pretty expensive for payments? When it is time for me to buy one, After I am finished doing what I previouisly mentioned with the dsm, I was planning on taking a minimum amount of $10,000 cash as a down payment. Is this not enough for say an 03' evo for a down payment? How much have some of you all took for down payments? I am trying to work my way around the whole co-signer ordeal as that is not an option.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

i had a 350hp GST prior, id take the Evo again anyday!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

I was wondering how many Evo owners were ex-dsm owners.

I've had 3 1g DSMs prior to this Evo.

(1st)91 Talon Tsi awd = 275whp/280tq 12.6 at 108.1 mph on a 14b, pretty much no mods, but exhaust boost controller and clutch with 110 octane.

(2nd)91 Talon Tsi awd = 3000lbs, 617whp/504tq 11.3 at 132.9mph with a really bad track, first time at the track with the setup, one chance to run, etc...on a FPT67 on a 2.4L with a locked up rear caliper. It was nice and solid, but I got lazy after putting it together; so lazy that I didn't even want to replace that locked up caliper holding me back

(3rd)91 Talon Tsi AWD = 2700lbs, 430whp/397tq on a 50trim-stock motor. I never got to run it at the track but I've raced on the street and kept up with multiple 128-129 mph cars. It was the cleanest 1g I've owned and still own.

I was planning on keeping the white talon and making like 730whp with it in the light *** shell so it could go like 150mph or so in the 1/4 but my spontaneous mind changed. I fell into the Evo trap. I ended up selling parts off the talon to buy some stuff for the Evo that will hopefully make some more power. The thing that bugs me about the Evo is that it's heavy and the fact that I don't want to tear it apart because I like everything being not loose.

Anyhow...I like the 1g's because parts like transfer cases are cheap. Evo's xfer cases are not. Overall though, I hope the Evo is what I want because my light *** 1g is now mostly parted and being sold in a few days. Get an Evo, throw a decent sized turbo on it, and call it good enough. I know I'm not stopping til I make at least 630awhp on a dyno dynamics dyno.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by TurboSpoolinIns; Jun 1, 2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

I owned 5 dsms before I bought the evo. (I had 2 at the time I bought the evo that I sold to pay for it.) The one I had the longest I sunk a ton of money and time into and my evo still beats it hands down. I always loved dsms and couldnt think of what else to buy until the evo came out. It has every good part of a dsm but much much more. The only reason I would buy another dsm would be if I wanted to make a cheaper race car.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

i must say Evo's ****ing suck to work on compared to the 2g dsm.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EklipzGSXkid
Is this not enough for say an 03' evo for a down payment?
I don't understand your question. Why wouldn't it be? What is acceptable as a payment and or loan is up to you and your lifestyle. I just don't believe in dumping all that cash into a rapidly depreciating object. A cosigner will help you get a better rate then you will qualify on your own if your credit is lacking. Cash may buy you into a better rate, but if it takes 10g's to get the car into a payment that you can handle and that's the better part of the cash you have available, then I think you are just buying too much car. I'd just put down enough to cover taxes (some credit unions might require you to, or give a better rate), get some gap insurance, and keep the rest of the money in the bank in case something goes wrong, especially if you are buying one used and are going to mod it.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

I love my evo a lot but I really miss my 95 tsi. My tsi was just about as fast as my evo is stock but I was still running stock turbo on the tsi. IMO the evo is a much better well built car over all. DSM's had a strong motor but everything else just fell apart (that's what you get when Chrysler builds the body). For some reason I just think that the tsi can take more abuse. I feel like I have to be very careful with my evo or it will break. I have heard so many horror stories of blown motors or broken trannies that warranties won't cover that i'm seriously regreting ever buying the evo. The evo is a great car don't get me wrong but $30k and no warranty makes the evo a waste of money IMO. I'm used to the easy modification of my tsi where the evo requires a tune for every thing which is a huge PITA!!! My tsi took a beating and I never had a problem with it at all. It was my first turbo car but my 2nd DSM. I've hit rev limiter more times than I could imagine and mis-shifted from 3rd to 2nd just once taking it up to 9k. When I finally sold it the compression was 160 165 160 150. With 80k on the clock the car was not perfect but it was pretty damn good. I've never had problems with my evo yet but then again it only has 6500 on the clock. I feel that if I would treat my evo the same way it would not hold up. The clutch will probably go first, then the transfer case, then a blown motor due to conrod bolt failure.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 09:38 PM

EDIT: You all post WAY to fast. I am not useto such quick responses.

As for the payment part of my quetions in my previous posts.. I was just very curious as I never bought a car that I needed to pay payments on. Every car I ever owned, I bought with cash. I never needed to go through a loan/bank etc to buy a car. It's not that 10grand would be the most i would be able to afford, I just always thought that the more you have, The better it is.
See, This is all new to me. I know nothing about buying cars other then paying with cash right up front

Last edited by EklipzGSXkid; Jun 1, 2006 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.