Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no comparison: my Evo runs circles around my DSM. I laugh just thinking about taking my '90 GSX to an autocross or a road course -- it would be like lying on a grenade.

That said, my GSX is still my daily driver. I expect maintenance problems from an old car, and I deal with them. No whining. In many ways I prefer it to the Evo: nicer driving position, better HVAC controls, and I can do 80mph on the Interstate with the windows down and still carry on a conversation.

Both are great cars, but if I want to drive like a bat out of hell, I take the Evo.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

My last car was a 97' GSX with 330+whp. The GSX just wasnt reliable enough, it always seemed to have problems. I had to put a massive turbo plus all supporting mods on the Eclipse to get 330whp and with just a reflash in the Evo I was at 300whp. Plus Im lovin the 4 doors!
Old Jun 2, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by backcountryGSX
My last car was a 97' GSX with 330+whp. The GSX just wasnt reliable enough, it always seemed to have problems. I had to put a massive turbo plus all supporting mods on the Eclipse to get 330whp and with just a reflash in the Evo I was at 300whp. Plus Im lovin the 4 doors!

What "massive" turbo is this ? The Evo definitely makes simpler power, but isn't that much better than a dsm in the power-making department.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 1994 Talon Tsi AWD. It had a small 16G, HKS 264 cams, VPC, GCC ect....
It was very dependable and quick for the 7 years I owned it. My Evo is definitely the better car, but I do miss the Talon. I did learn that the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch that worked so well on my Talon, does not work well on my Evo.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
and in the end, I'd still be driving a 15 year old car.
that comment did it for me. Screw the supra, i'm gettin an evo9
Old Jun 2, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

I had a 91GSX, and a 92 Tsi, and I can honestly say I loved them... I never loved being outside fixing it every weekend, but It made me a mechanic.
Both of em were really quick and fun for cheap ( if you dont count in repairs) but I needed a newer car.

Now I bought an evo 8 SSL and I'm absolutely in love with it. Mitsu's build quality has VASTLY improved since the 90's and I don't worry as much on long trips I wouldn't give up the evo for anything right now, nice luxurious interior, good sound and its pretty quick.

I do however miss the fun moments like "helping" my power windows go up, the automatic windshield wipers after i wheel hopped, and my door handle coming off.

Last edited by Blkstreak; Jun 2, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a 2G. It was fun and quite fast but the Evo is SO much better in Evey way except Areo Dynamics. My TSi AWS was .29 which is better then most Ferrari's.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 05:06 PM

I've owned two 95 GSX's, a 90 GSX, and a 90 Galant GSX that i converted to turbo. Still have the black 95 and the Galant. DSM's got me into cars because it kept breaking so eventually fixing cars became my career.

Thanks DSM's, you ruined my life... I mean... turned me in the right direction
Old Jun 2, 2006, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

I owned every flavor of DSM except a 3000GT and I have to say the EVO is the best hands down.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TurboColt
I owned every flavor of DSM except a 3000GT and I have to say the EVO is the best hands down.
3000GT's and Stealth's aren't technicially DSM's anyway. Diamond Star Motors was the "company" put together to produce Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by backcountryGSX
what do you mean by massive? lol you could get 330hp on a fairly "small" turbo. lol you have me confused.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 03:56 AM

I have an hx40 and can't get traction when I hit boost in 3 gears.. This is on 3cylinders. On 3 cylinders I went to an exact 1/4 mile length and trapped consistant 128-130mph runs. My buddy that ran a 13.2 at the track was only able to hit 110mph in this same location. My dsm is also fast, But now it needs rings that I AM NOT replacing. I already started to sell parts off the car, And i'm pretty sure i'll be getting the evolution alot sooner then expected.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

I forget I own a Mitsubishi sometimes.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've owned more than 20 DSMs over the last 5 years, including at least 10 Galant VR4s with various stages of modifications. I still have a well prepared 1991 Talon in mint condition.

Comparing any new car with a car 14 years old will give you predictable results. The 1G was a perennial "top ten" car when it was new, but the whole industry has substantially improved over more than a decade. HP, fit and finish, body style, and most of all, suspension has drastically improved.

1Gs are now selling for $2,000 in good condition. You can build a 12 second car with a couple thousand of well chosed add-ons. That's the price of a set of coilovers and a set of wheels for an Evo. I never had reliability problems with my DSMs. I suspect that had alot to do with keeping them well maintained. It's getting harder to do that now for most DSMs, because there are few that have not been modded heavily by previous owners, and after 14 years, important things (like wiring harnesses) are starting to deterioriate to the point that they need replacement, and they're no longer available from the dealer. That poses problems.

That having been said, there is no real comparison to be made between a $4000 modified 14 year old car and a new $30,000 Evo. If you want a decent performing car with no car payments, keep the DSM. If you're ready to take on the financial cost, go with the Evo. If you're planning to mod it, though, expect a very different world in terms of cost. Everything is two to three times as much for the same type of part, and there is limited availability on the used market for major parts, like engine blocks, transmissions, etc. When you find them, they cost MUCH more than the same part in the DSM world.

I much prefer my Evo. It's a state of the art car with great handling and new car reliability, with an engine I know backwards and forwards from years of DSM wrenching.

Last edited by CO_VR4; Jun 3, 2006 at 06:42 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by machron1
3000GT's and Stealth's aren't technicially DSM's anyway. Diamond Star Motors was the "company" put together to produce Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers.
Right. Evo's aren't either.

Quick Reply: DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.