Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2006, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had two different Galant VR4s, one of them since 1992, two different Colt/Mirage Turbos, and a few DSMs. They're definitely fun, especially the C/M Turbos on the highway. However, I knew that the Evo would be the natural progression. Take an enjoyable car, like the early DSM/Galant VR4, and add 15 years of development time to it. Viola, Evolution.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Hello Mr. Pharr, long time no see!
Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

moved up from 99 GSX. overall quality definitely improved on the evo.

i had basic bolts and everything started braking down after 40k miles. gear box

was horrible, one of the control arm bolt snapped and almost killed me.

replaced axles like changing oil. my evo has 21k miles and i absoultely love it.

no problems whatsoever.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 04:28 AM

Now I just need to find one for 22k and under, I'm ready to purchase... If I can't find one in my price range, (02' would be the more obvious), I'm going to hafto buy an srt4. Good news is I parted out my car and have a bunch of money to get my new car now =)
Old Jun 19, 2006, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a 1997 GSX back in 1998. Loved the car and spent about seven years driving and modifying it (http://home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jplgsx/). Bought an Evo VIII MR in February and love it. The technology had made a huge leap. Mitsubishi sells an increadible machine for 1/4th of what its performance would cost if you had to find and equivalent.

Mitsubishi was a mess back in the early ninties. The AWD turbos were amazing, but had glass jaws. The transfer case was a real serious problem point. With the second generation Mitsu tried to de-tune it to the point of eliminating waranty exposure. Then came dreaded crank walk.

The '03 Evos were great but carried a few issues that Mitsu corrected on the follow-on years. Things like paint wear behind the rear door's lower corners, clear coat coming off the rear wings, Brembo calipers clear coat pealing off. I'm sure there are other issues, but nothing that apporaches the problems of the earlier GSX and VR-4 cars.

Since '05 Mitsubishi has had a 100K drive train, 60K bumper to bumper, and 45K free maintenance. Amazing when you consider what that would have meant in 1995.

These are great cars. I hope Mitsubishi can last as a car company. But in any case, the Evolution is a real flag ship for them. And a treat for people that like to drive more than ride.

Jim
Old Jun 19, 2006, 07:17 PM

Im only 21 and have been doing the whole DSM thing since I started driving when I was 16. My older brother was already modding his first 1G at the time so I wanted get into it as well. I had two 91 TSi's, one a FWD auto and one an AWD manual. I loved the cars to death and still do. But after getting my EVO there is no looking back!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:48 AM

I owned a 93 Talon AWD back in 98 and that was my first DSM. I did the free mods, exhaust and a boost controller. I never took it to the track but I am sure it was a 13 sec car. I was severely mechanically challenged back then and stuff kept breaking and I got frustrated and sold it.

Missed it everyday it was gone and finally bought my 2g in 2003 since I couldn't afford the new shiney EVO I was drooling over. I have been building this car ever since and still am.

Then a few months ago I finally sold my DD and decided to spend the money and get a new shiney EVO IX to replace it. I couldnt be happier with my purchase and I have already put on a SS clutch line, removed the restrictor, boost gauge and a turbo timer. It is a sickness I just can't leave anything alone.

I would love to have one of every generation of Mitsubishi turbo cars, 1g, GVR4, 3kgt VR4, 2g, EVO, sitting in a large garage one day.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bstoner
would love to have one of every generation of Mitsubishi turbo cars, 1g, GVR4, 3kgt VR4, 2g, EVO, sitting in a large garage one day.
Amen to that.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

I have had Several Eclipse turbos.....And still do as my daily driver 95' GSX I bought an Evo MR in 04' and Love it. You will love driving the Evo
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

had a '99 gst, absolutely loved that car, honestly regret ever getting rid of it though it was my trade-in for my first evo. I loved the styling of it, still think it's the last best eclipse. coupe interior was great, felt so comfortable riding in that car. both 1 and 2g's have a ton of potential, in 0-400, but the evo is a total package and much more solid than my eclipse was, only thing that sucked about that car was the electrical system, fuses would go left and right...
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Owned 2 Eclipse's and both constantly broke down all the time. My 96 spyder had a bunch of work done to it and was fun to drive when it was running was great. Key point being the running part.

I totalled up the reciepts and realized I was modifying a piece of crap car. The only reason I went with an Evo is because it is a different breed.

I almost bought a new Z06, but realized if I did it would cost more plus I couldn't put my whole family in the car with me. I love having a 4 door car, very convenient.

My wife was in the process of buying an Evo for herself last weekend, but decided against it and is now looking at a Lexus IS250. I thought it would be cool to have two Evo's in the family, but oh well.

I guess I'll have to boost a Lexus now, lol.

Get rid of the DSM's and buy the Evo, you will be happy.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Had a 95' GS-t as my first car. Bought it with 63,000 miles and drove it to about 85,000 and never had any problems, how bout that for a reliable DSM. Put intake, exhaust, UICP, and rims on it...suspension was next but got rid of it for the Evo.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:10 PM
htx

I had a 94 laser that was my first dsm, but it only lasted 2 weeks because my best friend re-ended me and totaled the car lol.

Then I had a 98 GSX that was stock and never actually had a problem with it but than sold it for an srt-4 . But now I have an evo
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:17 PM

Just to update, I bought an srt4 being it was my first ''newer'' car.

Anyways, Now.. I'm trading the srt4 in and buying an evo in the next two weeks. I have a couple in mind, And I really want white.

I was looking at the RS, Being it is only 29k brand new 06' no miles, But can you get the spoiler put on, And is the wiring there to hook up a cd player? Do they have ANY speakers?

I'm definatly getting one and I would like one ASAP, I'm just confused on which one to actually get now.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

love it!
will never sell the dsm, although the evo is slower in the straight, it handles so well and can carry 4.

Quick Reply: DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.