Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EklipzGSXkid
Just to update, I bought an srt4 being it was my first ''newer'' car.

Anyways, Now.. I'm trading the srt4 in and buying an evo in the next two weeks. I have a couple in mind, And I really want white.

I was looking at the RS, Being it is only 29k brand new 06' no miles, But can you get the spoiler put on, And is the wiring there to hook up a cd player? Do they have ANY speakers?

I'm definatly getting one and I would like one ASAP, I'm just confused on which one to actually get now.
Yes you can do anything you could do to a regular Evo, to the RS (add wing, stereo, etc.).
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one did you buy? Do you regret it? Do you like it? How do you like it compared to your dsm(What year was your car?) What year is your new car?

I bought a 97' GSX from a police officer, bone stock. It was driven so rarely that it had spider webs on the steering wheel when I bought it. I then started a long process of modifications...going through 3 different turbo set-ups. My last turbo was a Forced Performance green turbo. Last dynoed @ 270awhp(seemed ALOT faster though...weird)
I traded it in towards my 06' gsr Evo when it had 104k miles on it. They only gave me 5 grand for it :-(. And this was a month after I had a brand new racing transmission installed, and pretty much a whole new head. It was a really fun car, and the look of it was so classic. But after all the mods and miles that were on it, it just didnt seem like a reliable car anymore. But I definitly liked the look of it way more than my Evo. The Evo is just so much more practical. I can bus around a lot more people, huge trunk space, huge back seat. It feels like I can drive across country and I wouldnt ever worry about it breaking down or not starting or whatever.

Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing I miss about my DSM's is how fast you can make the GSX for such a little amount of money...I could literally pull a 6 bolt 4G63 block from my local junkyard for $100 flat, dump $1000 into getting it fully built, spend another $1000 for a decent turbo setup, another $1000 for a built tranny, another $1000 for various drivetrain crap, and then run 9's all day long. Me and my buddy are still building up a super nasty 2G GSX so I still get to mess around with DSM's...but I sure enjoy the awesome reliability of the Evo. I kind of missing having the cool 2 door sports look but the Evo sure makes one hell of a grocery getter
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:16 PM

5 months later, looks like I'll be getting an evo afterall now. I hafto find one somewhat local from a dealer. I just hafto part out my srt4 that I just recently fully built, Then I can get one! I'm pretty excited.. I should have got one when I started the thread, Instead I bought the srt4 and put like 10k into it :\

I want a white evo, But I think they are hard to find. My friend has a red one, So I would hate to get the same color it'd be a little aqward.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 03:01 AM

You will not regret buying the evo. Just don't get the white one You should know why.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the SRT4 was a big step down from the potential evo decision right from the start. Good to see you're coming around.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
The only thing I miss about my DSM's is how fast you can make the GSX for such a little amount of money...I could literally pull a 6 bolt 4G63 block from my local junkyard for $100 flat, dump $1000 into getting it fully built, spend another $1000 for a decent turbo setup, another $1000 for a built tranny, another $1000 for various drivetrain crap, and then run 9's all day long.
Where's the time slips? I call B.S. Lots of people talk about 9s. Very few people actually do it, and those who do have a lot more than $4,000 in parts in their setups.

And just to stay on topic, I've owned more than a dozen G-VR4s and another dozen+ 1Gs, and still have seven at present.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:28 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I kept my 97 GSX for a while after I bought my 05 VIII. It was super cool to walk into the garage each day and say, 'hrm, which shall I take today?'

I traded days back and forth for a while, but soon there was a day when I looked at the GSX and thought 'meh, I'd rather drive the evo'...the GSX was built...6-bolt, 35r, buschur FMIC, tial bov, nice suspension setup, bumpin stereo...that car was sooo sexy. But when it came down to it, the evo was more reliable. I parted out the GSX and kept it for a while in a stock-ish form (cheap FMIC, small 16g) for a while, but then it only made me want to drive the evo more, as I had used the part-out money from the GSX into parts for the Evo.

I guess when it comes down to it the Evo is newer and more reliable. It makes great power on minor mods and out-handles cars 5x it's value. Best all around car I've ever owned, but I'll always miss 'the good old days'

I had a 94 TSI AWD before the GSX:

Tough to see in this pic but it had a FMIC and 20G setup on it, that car was fun too! It was soooo clean...
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by evilrs
You will not regret buying the evo. Just don't get the white one You should know why.

You're right

As for the whole big step down in the srt4 thing, i bought it bone stock, And now is in the 600whp potential range after a few gallons of c16/alky injection on the dyno I threw a turbo on it a little bigger then a GT35R, And every supporting mod out there, Plus a full race head with the works (big crower cams/valvetrain/port work) with the bottom end being done, And a huge headgasket. The car MOVES!

Either way, It's time to come back to my senses and get another 4g63 in my life
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:32 AM

Wish I could change the thread over to " Srt4 owners who went evo" now hahaha!
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:38 AM

Here is my neon, I bought it stock

(Wiring was a mess because pic was taken right after I threw the motor back in)

This is what my neon sounds like aha..
http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...rt4startup.flv
Old Mar 11, 2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Where's the time slips? I call B.S. Lots of people talk about 9s. Very few people actually do it, and those who do have a lot more than $4,000 in parts in their setups.

And just to stay on topic, I've owned more than a dozen G-VR4s and another dozen+ 1Gs, and still have seven at present.

In a perfect world you might be able to do that, But for $4,000 you're not going to have a 9 second race car like everyone thinks when they buy a dsm, Especially lowes racing parts....
Old Mar 11, 2007, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

i had 2 gsts and a galant vr4 and i am very very happy with my evo over any of the dsms i have owned and all of my dsms had turbo upgradeds and were not reliable at all
Old Mar 11, 2007, 09:16 AM

Well I'm definatly getting one now, There is no turning back this time. Now, I just need to get rid of all these new parts so I can have a downpayment. I am going to try and take more then $5,000 for the downpayment, And my srt4 as a trade in.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by EklipzGSXkid
Well I'm definatly getting one now, There is no turning back this time. Now, I just need to get rid of all these new parts so I can have a downpayment. I am going to try and take more then $5,000 for the downpayment, And my srt4 as a trade in.
I think you should have no problem getting the Evo. The srt4 looks sharp and should have some resale, so it looks like a good trade-in IMHO. This is a real good thread, not to much of the usual bickering and good to here people say that the Evo is solid and pretty dependable. Since you waited, the used Evo should be a little cheaper now. I have a feeling that you will not keep it stock for long, but that is your decision and it is a damn good platform to work from, according to just about anybody who knows anything. I am jealous (of all you proud owners) as I have put my purchase on hold due to family/health problems. I say go get the Evo, it sounds like it is what you want. Good luck and enjoy.

Quick Reply: DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.