Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gluck with buying the evo... you will love it
Old Mar 11, 2007, 12:43 PM

I can't wait!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Where's the time slips? I call B.S. Lots of people talk about 9s. Very few people actually do it, and those who do have a lot more than $4,000 in parts in their setups.
Ha ha, you beat me to it. More like 12's realistically. Maybe 11's if you are exceptional in both skill and luck.

I like the svelte looks of my Eclipse, but I love the Evo because of its rally inspired purposeful brawn. Plus there's so much more you can do with an Evo. The dSM has just as much performance potential, but it did not have much love from the JDM tuners because it is an American car. Plus the Evo is put together better.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

never owned a dsm before hand, but i can say this much comeing from a acura rsx base, then jumping into my evo i have never been more happy. this car is by far a fun daily driver, and neck breaker. there is nothing really to complain about.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Where's the time slips? I call B.S. Lots of people talk about 9s. Very few people actually do it, and those who do have a lot more than $4,000 in parts in their setups.

And just to stay on topic, I've owned more than a dozen G-VR4s and another dozen+ 1Gs, and still have seven at present.

You would be wrong. A stock Evo IX is capable of a 12.8 @ 105MPH given a good driver. A simple ebay Turbo Back $300 and ebay 02 housing $75 along with a good lower IC pipe $150 and then a Fuel Pump $76 along with a proper MBC $85 add will make a HUGE difference.

Added with a Dynoflash you are looking at a 11.8 @ 115-116. Most of these maps can be found online along with free tuning software. I myself have multiple maps for different stages of modifications and the only cost was to SEARCH for it. You would have to buy the $85 Tactrixx cable to hook you computer up to your ECU though.

Then again you are in Colorado so the air is thinner and times are slower, butt generally the IX's kick but and hit 11's fairly easily here at sea level and cold weather

Last edited by High_PSI; Mar 12, 2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:56 AM

I've gone from a 90 Plymouth Laser -> 98 Eclipse GSX -> 96 3000GT VR4 -> Evo IX MR and the Evo IX is probably the best car I've ever driven. And I've been in quite a few cars other those I've owned including a 2004 WRX STi. You won't be dissapointed with the Evo as others have stated.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by High_PSI
You would be wrong. A stock Evo IX is capable of a 12.8 @ 105MPH given a good driver. A simple ebay Turbo Back $300 and ebay 02 housing $75 along with a good lower IC pipe $150 and then a Fuel Pump $76 along with a proper MBC $85 add will make a HUGE difference.

Added with a Dynoflash you are looking at a 11.8 @ 115-116. Most of these maps can be found online along with free tuning software. I myself have multiple maps for different stages of modifications and the only cost was to SEARCH for it. You would have to buy the $85 Tactrixx cable to hook you computer up to your ECU though.

Then again you are in Colorado so the air is thinner and times are slower, butt generally the IX's kick but and hit 11's fairly easily here at sea level and cold weather
He is talking about calling BS on 4k in mods to a DSM gets you 9 second potential and he is right it isn't happening.

Staying on topic. I have a 1g, 2g and an EVO9 now. I just finished stage one stuff and the car feels faster then my 2g did on pumpgas and I had way more in mods on the 2g with a similar turbo.

Gotta love new technology but I still have the DSM's.

Last edited by bstoner; Mar 12, 2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:11 AM
Account Disabled

ive had a 1g awd and 2 2g awds....and finnally my evo...couldnt be happier
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I went from a '97 GST (bolt-ons + 20g) to a '97 GSX (fully built w/ 50trim) to my '03 VIII (all bolt-ons + cams) and now Im on my '06 IX RS...cant say I regret getting rid of any of the cars for the next one. All have been modded and had tons of fun w/ each of them but I enjoy the next one that little bit more...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:53 AM

i went from a 95 gst with a fully built motor,,20g and a whole list of mods..the car broke almost every time i drove...now i have the 03 evo and i love it..
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bstoner
He is talking about calling BS on 4k in mods to a DSM gets you 9 second potential and he is right it isn't happening.
Exactly. $4K isn't going to get you into the 9's on an Evo either, so even though you were confused, I don't see what point you (High_Psi) were getting at.

I didn't buy my DSM new, but I do believe my Evo will most likely hold together better because I believe it is a better built car. However, I haven't had any major issues with my DSM either. I'm glad I have both. But the razor sharp handling and control feel on an Evo is something you just can't get no matter how much you spend on a DSM. The Evo is just so right from the factory.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
Exactly. $4K isn't going to get you into the 9's on an Evo either, so even though you were confused, I don't see what point you (High_Psi) were getting at.

I didn't buy my DSM new, but I do believe my Evo will most likely hold together better because I believe it is a better built car. However, I haven't had any major issues with my DSM either. I'm glad I have both. But the razor sharp handling and control feel on an Evo is something you just can't get no matter how much you spend on a DSM. The Evo is just so right from the factory.
In terms of 9's with $4,000 in mods? Maybe not but 10's I think so especially with a 1G 6 Bolt motor. I believe the key is being able to tune yourself and being able to turn a wrench yourself. The BR 20G Turbocharger will get you there, run a ported Manifold and no exhaust, get a used FMIC, some HKS cams, and crush your OEM BOV. Add an ACT 2600 and injectors and JUST to make sure add a small shot and tune that bad boy with an AFC. That is 10's on race gas. I guess the key would be finding used performance parts and when I had my 2G DSM, that was all I could afford at the time.

As for before I thought he was referring to IX's not being able to hit 11's on minimal posts, I cross read some posts and replied to the wrong one; sorry bout that.

Last edited by High_PSI; Mar 12, 2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:09 PM

I've owned about ten 1g's and 2g's. I currently own a 97 GS-T going for AWD this
summer. A 99 GSX with 6bolt swap,FMIC,big 16G and all the supporting mods and
a stock engined but wide-bodied 99 GSX. In addition to 2 Supras and the 03 Evo.

The 6bolt may be faster than the Evo, but look at the money in it. The Evo is very
near to beating the GSX with just bolt ons. AND the Evo is reliable and the family
fits WITH luggage. It'll beat the TT from a dig when they were both stock too.

I love the Eclipses and Supras, but when it comes to practicality and easy of use...
The Evo wins all the time !!!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:41 PM

It's pretty hard to find a white evo in PA from a dealer it seems..
Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EklipzGSXkid
It's pretty hard to find a white evo in PA from a dealer it seems..

Go through South Coast Mitsubishi....it was cheaper for me to buy from them and pay for shipping then it was to buy locally...just a thought

Quick Reply: DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.