Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.

I'm sorry this is going to sound strange reading, I just posted it on my dsm board, So I am only going to copy and paste what I wrote. It sounded kind of rude in the first sentence or two, Because the dsmer's on the board I post, Think that their cars are invinsible I have got some good feedback from a few of them, But was told to post up here, And also find some other evo owners, Experiences.

I am ONLY looking for people with ACTUAL experience, Not ''your friends sister has one and she don't like it" type replies. If you crazy people on this site are waiting for a new thread to come up to get angry in and start causing war and bashing left and right, Click the X, Or please join another thread.
The reason I'm looking for people who have purchased either of the two, And previously owned a dsm, Is because I'm looking for personal feedback and comparisons. I may be parting my car, And selling it 'almost' stock, And then saving up the rest of the summer/winter and buying either one or the other, Without a doubt.

I was always one to stick up for dsm's, And have had my fair share of them (8 to be exact), Each one investing 7,500-$9,500 into, Cash. I finally came back to reality, And need a car in the 00'+ year range, That is turbo. I love dsm's, But have came to wits end with this recent one. I purchased it this past winter (Not even 6months ago I guess) and totaled up the reciepts adding up to $13,853.25, All spent in cash, In that short of a time span. I have gone through a few different set-ups, Which would explain some of the cost also. This would have been a VERY HEFTY amount to throw down as a down payment, For one of the two cars listed above.

Which one did you buy? Do you regret it? Do you like it? How do you like it compared to your dsm(What year was your car?) What year is your new car?

ANY information you have, Please do post. PERSONAL experiences only, Please. I drove my friends 03' evolution today, And going from my car (Even though it's ''faster'' only because I have an HX40 and all the supporting mods) It was like going from ''rags to riches'' so to speak. The handeling was amazing, And I was not useto driving a new car, Especially an Evolution. I was not useto hitting boost, And going down the road straight, Without any odd noises either. I did not have that ''what is going to break'' feeling , In the back of my mind, For once

Mainly I am trying to decide between these two because they are not as expensive as an sti, And they are still "new" cars. I definatly cannot go back to an n/a car, So that is not an option. My parents keep *****ing about how I spend so much money on dsm's, And they still break.(I'm not saying they are unreliable, I'm just saying that I do have problems, Although they can be ''reliable'' cars and alot of people never had any major problems!)

I loved the way the evo felt.. When I got back in my car, Other then my car being faster, There was nothing else to compare, And the evo won in every catagory other then '' Ghetto fast'' with my car. I am really looking for something that I can just get in and drive any more. I think it put me over the edge because I just bought the rest of the parts to finish my car to have every bolt on etc, And I bought a brand new head,mls cometic headgasket,arps',hx35/40 etc.. Come to find out my low compression was actually coming from a piston ring being worn, I suppose. With that, And working on the car in the heat out front, I just finally went over the edge!

I look forward to hearing from some of you all who made the jump!

Thanks alot!!!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

I had a GST before the evo; you will not be dissapointed.

Each car is nice and has its own good qualities. I just liked what the evo had more than my GST. I could have bought a 1st gen too; but at that point it would have been an all race vehicle etc. The evo is the best of both worlds and can remain in either if you like. Its great stock, you can mildly modify and have a fun daily driver or you can go all out sick and have a great race car.

either way its a win win.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

It sounds like your minds already made up man. The evo is the way to go. One thing i question though is the evo being cheaper than the sti, just depends on what year and all your talking about but thats besides the point. Ive had a good many dsm's, still got a couple just waiting to leave the yard. Its nice to be able to get in the car take a road trip if you want, or go flying threw the mountains and not worry about the car breaking down 100 miles from the nearest town. The ride is awesome compared to the eclipse, hell everything is better honestly. I would never go back down. Ive thought about getting a 2g dsm to drive around but then i came to my senses and realized it would be broke all the time so ill stick with my truck.

BUT you wil loose one thing with the evo. The Main thing i loved about my eclipse is the fact that most v8 guys at the track and around town have no clue of the potential of them. So its a real cheap and fast sleeper. The evos not, everyone whos knows anything about cars has seen them on tv, or in a magazine and know to beware. The sleeperness (if thats a word lol) is what i miss most. Now of course there are exceptions both ways but this is just the general types.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from a '96 GST to an Evo.

There were things I liked about my GST that the Evo didn't have (coupe, lower stance, better looking), but I think the overall benefits of the Evo made me not regret the trade at all.

To explain my situation in a little more detail:

I owned my GST for 6 months. In that time I put only 4,000 miles on it, and changed the oil one time. That car broke, and broke, and broke... you get the point. $6000 later I decided I needed a new car that 1) didn't break all the time, 2) was new with a warranty (though mitsu's warranty isn't one to brag about) and 3) had a back seat that could actually fit people in it. At one point I had $1000 in my hand and decided that rather than start to mod my GST I would sell the 6-bolt I had just bought, and my GST, and put a downpayment on an Evo. I havent' looked back since.

It's true, DSMs can be very fast, and handle great, etc., but of all the DSMs (both 1G and 2G, FWD and AWD) I've riden in, including my own, none of them had a good solid feel like the Evo has.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:05 AM

I had 2 97 GST's (still own one) and bought my Evo in April.
It's a natural progression I think to get the EVO, from the other 4G63 cars you've had.
The EVO is the first car I've ever even considered keeping stock (outside of EBC and simple mods).
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

98 gst =evo
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

i owned a 90 tsi and the only thing i miss about it was "no payments" but that is it. the evo is so solid its stupid. i have been driving the **** out of mine for the past 8 months and it still feels like the first day i bought it. (except of course a little faster and alot better handling) but if you save up for a good down payment you will "never" regret getting the evo. i still have love for the DSM's but its time to move on to the next generation. do it
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had 3 1Gs, all of which ran 12.5 or better on 14b or small 16g, but I never did a big turbo upgrade. I loved them all, but the Evo is 10X more enjoyable to own and is far more reliable to me. I am getting close to 2 years and 20k miles with TONS of racing but am still going strong.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

I myself have a 97gsx 6bolt swap, fp green and all kinds of other mods. It would run circles around my evo @ the drag strip BUT its not the total car that my evo is. I feel comfortable driving my evo anywhere, and in my gsx it wouldnt go any further then maybe 40-60miles from home because I was worried about possible problems. My gsx was a straight line only car and did its job very well. I still and always will love dsms and they will have a special place in my heart, but im selling my gsx right now because I just dont have time anymore to keep up with the things it needs.

This is a good post though, I was thinking about making a "post here if your a former dsmer or still own one" thread haha just to see how many of us here have roots in the dsm world.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still have my GS-T, and I had bought a '91 GSX and was starting to restore/build it up when I realized I would have to spend about 10 grand on the car (paint and bodywork, wheels, rear end, engine, etc.) to get it where I wanted and in the end, I'd still be driving a 15 year old car. I already had a 8 year old project in the GS-T in which I had already spent a lot of money on, and I decided it wasn't worth it to have two older cars with loads of aftermaket parts and project car reliability.

So I stopped building the GSX and sold it to get my Evo. The feeling of a solid new car, plus one that is so right from the factory is something a built DSM could never give you. Even though my GS-T has more straight line power, it could never have the handling prowess or solid feel of the Evo. I'm glad I still have both, but the Evo is definitely far superior to the DSM for all around performance.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:36 AM

I pretty much have my mind made up, 100%. I will start parting all my new parts on the 2g, Return it to stock and then sell it. Hopefully I can become an every day member on the evo boards then, Like I am on the dsm board. Thank you all for the replies in such short of time, I really appreciate it, And I love to hear actual experiences of people who have completed the change. It is hard for me to grasp, But it's getting ALOT easier, Reading all of these posts and having people encourage me and let me know that the Evo WILL be the better choice =)
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've owned two DSM's (91 GS-T, 90 GS-X) and the Evo definitely handles WAY better than either car could ever hope for. However both of my DSM's were WAY faster than the Evo (GS-T ran 13's, GSX ran 11's), and they both were cheaply repaired (went through 3 engines and 2 trannies, all under $2000). For this reason I think I'm going to buy another 1G AWD car for the dragstrip, and I'll keep the Evo for autocross + weekend driving. DSM's are notarious for breaking down and if I had to take either of my DSM's for a short drive on public roads I would bring along a full set of tools just in case, lol. My GS-T was actually the car that turned me into a mechanic. It broke SOOOO many times (including when I first drove it home from the dealership) that I simply could not afford to pay for a mechanic. I bought the shop manual and enlisted the help of dsmtuners.com until every single problem was fixed. Unfortunately, everytime I drove the car something broke but it definitely was a learning experience! The Evo is the ultimate DSM. It is way more reliable, looks way better (arguable), and has better handling. The only thing that I hate about the Evo is that all the parts are expensive to replace (if anything does break). I do not regret switching to the Evo, it really is an out of the box race car.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jun 1, 2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EklipzGSXkid
I pretty much have my mind made up, 100%. I will start parting all my new parts on the 2g, Return it to stock and then sell it. Hopefully I can become an every day member on the evo boards then, Like I am on the dsm board. Thank you all for the replies in such short of time, I really appreciate it, And I love to hear actual experiences of people who have completed the change. It is hard for me to grasp, But it's getting ALOT easier, Reading all of these posts and having people encourage me and let me know that the Evo WILL be the better choice =)

Good Luck with your adventures... I myself am gonna have a very hard day when my gsx leaves my house with a new owner(if it sells) Ive debated on going with a pretty solid build up with the gsx and just keeping it for another year, but honestly it would require me to buy a truck and a trailer to haul the car with and right now I cant afford it. The only thing that really bothers me is that I wont get what I have put into the car $14,000 for the car...and im not sure how much ive spent in mods but its a decent amount.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I owned a '96 GST from 1997-2004 when I bought my '03 Evo. I had pretty much all the bolt-ons for the GST (intercooler, hard pipes, turbo, injectors, S-AFC, etc. etc.) and it was pretty fast in a straight line. It handled OK with springs, wheels, and tires, but nothing compared to the Evo. I miss it sometimes but I traded it in with ~140,000 miles and I knew it would not last much longer. I don't miss trying to launch with FWD and getting drag strip times of 13.75 @ 107mph lol. The main reason I'm happier with the Evo is that I now have a nice, fast, reliable car that I can take to track days. I'm sure my Eclipse would have been way too expensive to keep running if I did that with it simply because of the age. The Evo is bulletproof on the track aside from normal consumables. going from a long-slung coupe to a 4-door took some getting used to, but other than that it was a very simply transition and I don't regret it.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

I had a 92 stock GSX... loved it(favorite car to this day), and it's what pushed me towards the evo.. I have a lightly modded evo and I enjoy it very much.

Last edited by byron3636; Jun 1, 2006 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: DSM owners who have purchased an Evolution, Please join this thread.