Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ideal Differential SetUp?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post quick question..

is it possible to blow out the AWD in an evo ? and if so how could you tell if its gone or on its way out ?

my car wont do AWD donuts like it used to. i already need to buy new tires.

my friends think because the tires are very worn down that they are much more sticky so its harder to get the *** end out.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 01:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Re: quick question..

Originally posted by rpmvideo
is it possible to blow out the AWD in an evo ? and if so how could you tell if its gone or on its way out ?

my friends think because the tires are very worn down that they are much more sticky so its harder to get the *** end out.
It is possible to overheat and cook the center viscous diff. I have done it on a 993tt that had a bunch of hp. Donuts in the dry could put enough strain on the center diff to do that, you could have also worn out the clutch pack in the rear LSD. Too many donuts in a row? I won't comment on the wisdom of such driving but I'm sure someone else will...
Old Apr 18, 2003, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

I will. YOU'RE A FREAKING MORON.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 03:04 PM

Re: quick question..

Your friends dont much about tires then. As tires age and go through more heat cycles they get harder and harder, and this makes them less sticky.
There is the possiblity that the tires are now slicks and have more contact patch then the tire with tread, but the rubber at that point should be less sticky than the rubber was was with tread, would probably near the same overall traction level
Old Apr 18, 2003, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by theheff
I will. YOU'RE A FREAKING MORON.
He could of at least submitted some video of himself ******** his car! After all his user ID is "RPM VIDEO"
Old Apr 18, 2003, 04:32 PM

Re: Re: quick question..

Originally posted by chronohunter

It is possible to overheat and cook the center viscous diff. I have done it on a 993tt that had a bunch of hp. Donuts in the dry could put enough strain on the center diff to do that, you could have also worn out the clutch pack in the rear LSD. Too many donuts in a row? I won't comment on the wisdom of such driving but I'm sure someone else will...
is this something that is costly to fix ?

dealership should fix it for me i hope.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Re: quick question..

There should be fluid or oil in the center viscous differcials right?? what is the maintainece schedule on that?!?! change oil 30k etc?!?! or you don't have to change at all... I think all I need is a front lsd to replace the open lsd, I am ok... not too much off road racing for me to change to a torsen type...

is this something that is costly to fix ?

dealership should fix it for me i hope.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

anyone can tell me the difference between viscous coupling diff and Active Center Diff?!?! thanks..
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Re: Re: Re: Re: quick question..

Originally posted by wing240
There should be fluid or oil in the center viscous differcials right?? what is the maintainece schedule on that?!?! change oil 30k etc?!?! or you don't have to change at all... I think all I need is a front lsd to replace the open lsd, I am ok... not too much off road racing for me to change to a torsen type...
Viscous diff is sealed no maintainence required...unless you blow it up then you replace it AFAIK

ACD is a mechanical center diff (similar to the one in the rear) that is controlled by a computer that can change the locking of the diff it measures things like speed steering angle throttle position brake on or off etc. that way the diffs locking characteristics can be adjusted on the fly (by the computer) to minimize understeer and maximize traction. It also has 3 driver selectable modes Tarmac, Gravel and snow that adjust the diff for these different traction conditions.

A viscous diff works like a torque converter on an automatic. A viscous fluid allows only a certain amount of "shear" before it thickens therefore it prevents the shear plates from rotating at vastly different speeds (this provides the locking). It always locks the same way unlike the ACD which is active and therefore more adaptable.

There is more to it than this but those are the basic differences. You can also do a search, as we has discussed this several times before. Hope it helps
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

I would add, that main ACD's advantage is it's proactive nature in opposition to reactive nature of non active. DCCD-A is the best example where computer controls the torque split to stabilize the car, not just responds to slippage.
Old Apr 19, 2003, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: quick question..

Originally posted by wing240
the open lsd
Old Apr 19, 2003, 12:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Now Heff lets try not to make fun of the unenlightened...even if it is so damn tempting (good catch!)
Old Apr 19, 2003, 08:40 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

I'm too am waiting for the Quaife to become available. I have e-mailed them but have not received a response yet.