Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: What car should i get need it to last 9 years (panel filter and ecu reflash)
2006 EVO IX MR w/ appearence pkg.
47.11%
2007 TOYOTA PRIUS
21.07%
INFINITI G35x
15.70%
BMW 330ix
10.74%
AUDI A4 Quatrro 1.8T
5.37%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Evo....good Looking?!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First performence car is EVO=Die.EVO will not last 10year!!!Get a Civic SI
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, it's crazy enough for a 17 yr old to have any $30k+ car, but do your parents have any idea what the Evo is capable of? I have to assume not if they're allowing you to consider it. I will agree with most and say this is definately NOT a good choice for a first car. Statistics say you will be in an accident shortly if you're a new driver, and an Evo will not help matters.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a joke, don't buy an Evo.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

yes my parents are very aware of it they dont mind the performance because they have followed me at random time before when i got my licence and i never went over the speed limit i usually am a lazy *** and flip the cruise control on. my mom on the other hand thinks ill end up being crippled thats why i never really got anything, i wanted a dirtbike and never got that also because of my mom. see if i wanted a bit ch car id get a rx-8 but i dont really find chicks to be a neccisty at muy age more of an obstacle right now. NO IM NOT GAY AND FAR FROM IT!!! but yes i have drivin stick in a 550 whp saleen mustang its a great car but tail is fish between shifts. maintnence is not a issue what so ever ive been changing all of our cars plugs breaks and oil both engine and tranny for abou 3 years on my own totally. my dad always made me watch him telling me that this will come in handy some day since i was 10. well its kinda paid off first of all i dont trust mechanics at all. so ill be doing all the maintnece myself. also insurance will be under my dad so it will only cost me 1200 a year and im on a storage vechicle so now its only 80 bucks a year but i see it jumping after the car gets out of storage so i am expecting around 1500-1800 a year. power i can handle it. awd is a must we have hard winters here. upper illiniose. i also am not getting any car till december 22nd it is set in stone that i will get a NEW car. NEW CAR?? you might ask why new because my dad says so. he says you have no clue what so ever the person did with the car mabe they only changed the oil twice or maybe every interval stated in the manual. we in our house hold thinks it silly to try to save a few bucks by changing the oil less often all of our cars are changed at 3k intervals thats why all of our cars last over 200K+. so guys take all of that intoo consideration also.... thanks
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

my bad for the grammer im in a really big rush be back in like a hour l8r.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Orland Park has bad winters??? You might see a few bad snow storms but nothing out of control. The evo isn't meant for the snow at all unless you are willing to put snow tires on it each winter. The only thing that the evo has going for it is the AWD but it's light and has a lot of power. You might be able to get traction but I gaurantee that as soon as you try to stop or turn a corner you'd rather be driving a different car in the snow. You hear everyone saying not to get the evo but since you are so young your mind is probably still working backwards. You hear no as an opportunity to get it. Everybody's saying no because I can't handle the power or i'll crash it. I should get it to see what the hype is all about. So i'm saying by all means get it but by next summer we will be reading a post of yours titled "I crashed my evo". To me evo and power do not belong in the same sentence. The evo doesn't have a ton of power. 286hp is not that much especially for a sports car. What makes an evo an evo is the handling. You can turn a corner faster and harder in an evo. That's what will make you get into an accident. You will get over confident and then slide sideways into another car, a light post, or a median. At your age why the hell aren't you trying to get the ladies? Your in a prime age right now. An Evo might pick up some chicks but not most. I'd really stick with a BMW or Audi. The Audi has power but it's also very luxury.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

I would say prius if you want to use as a daily driver.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

i agree with dsm evolution you are right but the fact is i will put on dedicated snow tires on it. prius i have had my share of and i hate it absolutly as a car i mean its a nice car but ablsolute no style put in it i hate hatchbacks to begin with. i mean im not getting the evo 100% just because of the factor that there might not be enogh of them by then and wont go for under retail 2nd even if i do get a audi or bmw i still would not want chicks in it even if i am at the prime age. so i mean its not definate that i will be getting a evo but its barley above 50% and if not it probably will be a audi or the new 2007 g35x sedan i want awd but not any awd real sophisticated awd where it acually sifts power from side to side and haveing the ability to put all the power to one wheel if needed. i exclude the evo of this yes because it is light and my not need that right now but i bet it would be hell of alot funner with that ability to the awd in the evo. the s4 is kinda out of the price rang im trying to be below 35-34k because i have to come up with half.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

i personally think the Evo is a very good looking car that has pretty good presence on the streets. the boxiness, the high spoiler, and the huge fmic....

most of my friends, even adults, like the way it looks. even my mom thinks it's not bad, though she said if she had 30k she'd never buy it lol. she'll take the rx8 or s2k in that price range
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:15 PM
Account Disabled

evo could last 9 years. It really depends on how much you care about the car and how well you take care of it.

But if you keep one for more than 5 years, you're going to spend some money on it.

i've noticed that some of the owners just don't care less about the general maintenance of the car. I mean, evo's a great performance car, but it's still a car with various fluids and parts that needs to be replaced as it wears out and gets used.

I've spent probably about the equal amount of money on maintaining my evo as performance parts and tires.

I've already had 4 transmission fluid changes, 2 radiator flushes, timing belt, balance belt, general maintenance of the interior, floor mats, floor carpet, details, wax, fixing few dents here and there, cleaning out the suspension components, oiling suspension components,etc.

I would say get a honda civic or honda accord. They'll last you 9 years and obviously if you have to keep a car for 9 years, you can't afford a daily driver or maintenance on an evo, so you need to give up and goto a vtech.org or vtechworld.com.

I plan on getting an evo x for my daily driver once it comes out, so I could make my 8 the beast.

Then I'll get a truck for a daily driver, then make both cars a monster.

but that's bit far from me to predict now.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need it to last 8-9 years minimum? no car will last that long in a 16 year old's hands.

You should be buying a used beater...if not, then a Prius. You'll crash the Evo in less than 1 yr, guaranteed.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man I love these "Help me spend my money" threads. Especially if it is a teenager's first car. They almost always have these same key elements:

1.If someone says, "A kid shouldn't be given an Evo because they are too young to appreciate it." The answer is always, "Oh, well I've saved up eleventy thousands dollars, and am going to pay for gas and insurance, myself. I work four full time jobs and go to school."

2. If someone says, "An Evo is too much car for a 1st time driver." The response is, "Oh well, my friend's dad left his 1200whp twin turbo Viper with me while he went on vacation and I drove it back to forth to school...in the snow...on DRs." and/or "I worked after school at the Bob Bondurant School of Racing and attended all the sessions for free - 30 times."

3. And it usually offers a range of choices that don't even fit. "I'm either going to get an Evo, or a Veyron, maybe a H1 Alpha, or a Yaris. Mom wants me to get the H1 'cause she thinks its safest. Come on guys help me decide!"

I mean in all seriousness, your parents are probably not going to buy you an Evo. If they are coming up with lame excuses like dated bodystyling, they are just trying to let you down easy because they'd rather you have something that's economical, cheap to own and maintain; and safe. IF this car has to last all the way through HS and college, I think you just need something N/A ,4cyl, FWD and manual

Last edited by GPTourer; Jun 5, 2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

16 years old and driving a $30K car. One of the problems with the EVO is it's become the poster car for the spoiled kid living in his parents basement.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by GPTourer
eleventy thousands dollars

Do you honestly expect us to believe you have $15,000 of your own saved up at the age of 16!? My first real job was at the age of 14, and when I turned 16 I was able to buy an 88 Acura Legend for $1,500.

A $30,000 car is about the worst investment you can make at 16. You will more then likely get in an accident, cops will love you even more, and insurance would be through the roof. You want a much less expensive and nice performance car? Pick up a DSM. You want a nice long lasting car, get a honda! After that put the other "$7,000" you have and put it into a savings account!

All that aside, you probably will not take any of the advice we have given you, since you're 16 and do what you want (we've all been there). If you get an Evo, great, congrats! Just do me a favor and give me a call when you go driving so I'm not on the streets and don't have to see a 16 year old driving an Evo.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Your parents are outdated.

Scorke

Quick Reply: Evo....good Looking?!?