Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: What car should i get need it to last 9 years (panel filter and ecu reflash)
2006 EVO IX MR w/ appearence pkg.
47.11%
2007 TOYOTA PRIUS
21.07%
INFINITI G35x
15.70%
BMW 330ix
10.74%
AUDI A4 Quatrro 1.8T
5.37%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Evo....good Looking?!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GPTourer
Man I love these "Help me spend my money" threads. Especially if it is a teenager's first car. They almost always have these same key elements:

1.If someone says, "A kid shouldn't be given an Evo because they are too young to appreciate it." The answer is always, "Oh, well I've saved up eleventy thousands dollars, and am going to pay for gas and insurance, myself. I work four full time jobs and go to school."

2. If someone says, "An Evo is too much car for a 1st time driver." The response is, "Oh well, my friend's dad left his 1200whp twin turbo Viper with me while he went on vacation and I drove it back to forth to school...in the snow...on DRs." and/or "I worked after school at the Bob Bondurant School of Racing and attended all the sessions for free - 30 times."

3. And it usually offers a range of choices that don't even fit. "I'm either going to get an Evo, or a Veyron, maybe a H1 Alpha, or a Yaris. Mom wants me to get the H1 'cause she thinks its safest. Come on guys help me decide!"

I mean in all seriousness, your parents are probably not going to buy you an Evo. If they are coming up with lame excuses like dated bodystyling, they are just trying to let you down easy because they'd rather you have something that's economical, cheap to own and maintain; and safe. IF this car has to last all the way through HS and college, I think you just need something N/A ,4cyl, FWD and manual
LMAO...excellent breakdown and analysis here...you must've done well on the reading comprehension portion of the SAT's
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
Your parents are outdated.

Scorke
lol.. good one

its 50/50 with the a4 and evo ill just have to wait and find out....
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:59 PM

For the long term, I would pick the Audi, as it is a classier car.

--
Brian
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Tell you what, I'll sell you my Kia for $7,000.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:08 PM

hahaha, Kia
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

hell no im not buy no kia nor any damn american car ever. its either japanese or german and italian. they seem to be the only ones that still know what they are doing.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOIXMR8916
so heres the question do you think the evo is a good looking car??
no, everyone on this forum thinks their cars are ugly!!!
lol, this is the dumbest thread EVAR......
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TonyMS
I like how all these threads with the younger guys saying I can afford an evo. Honestly you really can't until you can live totally on your own and totally pay for the car without any help and still have money left over to enjoy life then you can say you can afford it. When I was 17-18 I could have physically made the payment but that is about it what happens when the thing needs tires are something. In the end it sounds like your parents can afford it and not you and if they are buying the car and it is suppose to last 8+ years get the toyota I have one and it is a really great car and will last a really long time and has a good warranty that toyota stands by.
I understand your point, but I’d have to disagree, and here’s my reasoning. Which situation do you think is better?

Situation 1: A responsible teenager who balances school and work in order to help out with the payments/insurance of a 30k car. Granted, he/she lives at home and his/her parents may sometimes chip in for service (oil change and whatnot), but a lot of the expenses are paid by the teenager.

Situation 2: A teenager is given a brand new 17-18k Scion tC, and he/she makes absolutely no payments or anything. AND, the teenager still mooches off the parents by living at home.

Don’t you think situation 1 is better? Getting a taste of the real world is immensely important at a young age. Notice in both situations the teenager will live at home anyway, but at least in situation 1 an understanding of responsibility will be met. There are plenty of teenagers that balance school and work (namely myself). It is certainly doable, and if you are really smart and good at managing your time, maintaining superb grades isn’t out of the question. Working for the payments of a car is directly linked to taking fewer risks, if any at all. But, this is all assuming that the person in question is responsible. If a teenager isn’t responsible in school for example, then that’s a good indication that school by itself is too much pressure, never mind adding another task such as a job.

That’s my 2 cents…
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

^^ thanks at least someone understands....
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

evo lasting 10 years? lol. get a prius player.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MeKilla
evo lasting 10 years? lol.
There are plenty of people driving EVO III's, IV's, V's around.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

i mean im not going to mod it so it comes with a 10 year warrenty right or am i missing here something????
Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Evo VIII
Situation 1: A responsible teenager who balances school and work in order to help out with the payments/insurance of a 30k car. Granted, he/she lives at home and his/her parents may sometimes chip in for service (oil change and whatnot), but a lot of the expenses are paid by the teenager.

Situation 2: A teenager is given a brand new 17-18k Scion tC, and he/she makes absolutely no payments or anything. AND, the teenager still mooches off the parents by living at home.

Don’t you think situation 1 is better? Getting a taste of the real world is immensely important at a young age. Notice in both situations the teenager will live at home anyway, but at least in situation 1 an understanding of responsibility will be met. There are plenty of teenagers that balance school and work (namely myself). It is certainly doable, and if you are really smart and good at managing your time, maintaining superb grades isn’t out of the question. Working for the payments of a car is directly linked to taking fewer risks, if any at all. But, this is all assuming that the person in question is responsible. If a teenager isn’t responsible in school for example, then that’s a good indication that school by itself is too much pressure, never mind adding another task such as a job.
I disagree on your choice of situation 1. I still think that no matter how responsible of a student you are, I think the evo is too much of a car to have while in school. How about maintance costs... what about getting new tires for the evo?

I would propose situation 3... get a cheap car like an older civic that is cheap to maintain, and has minimal payments. Work hard, pay off the car and move out of the parents house... I think the evo is way too expensive of a car for a student to get, and be forced to balance school and work to make ends meet. I had no car payments when I was in college, and still have to work hard to support myself.

I waited until I graduated college and got a real job, so that I could afford the evo. I also couldn't imagine dealing with parking the evo at school. My civic was broken into twice while I was at school, and suffered several door dings, as most students don't seem to care about their cars.

--
Brian
Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

wtf you must live in a bad neigborhood kids min my city dont even lift a finger and get new benzes and bmw. i know a kid who was a senior and already had a saleen mustang before his birthday and when he turned 17 he also got a brand new jeep grand cherokee and kept both cars. my parents dont expect me to **** 30 k but they want me to also accept some responsibily of a car. so i mean from where i live kids get cars like in situation o but 35=k cars i on the other cand want a not so tereo typical show off car like the evo not everyone knows what a evo is but those that do respect it.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by EVOIXMR8916
wtf you must live in a bad neigborhood kids min my city dont even lift a finger and get new benzes and bmw. i know a kid who was a senior and already had a saleen mustang before his birthday and when he turned 17 he also got a brand new jeep grand cherokee and kept both cars. my parents dont expect me to **** 30 k but they want me to also accept some responsibily of a car. so i mean from where i live kids get cars like in situation o but 35=k cars i on the other cand want a not so tereo typical show off car like the evo not everyone knows what a evo is but those that do respect it.
Nah, I went to school at Georgia Tech in downtown Atlanta, GA, and packed in the student parking deck in the middle of campus for most of my time there.

You can't tell me that the evo doesn't stand out in a parking lot, with the huge wing on the trunk...

--
Brian

Quick Reply: Evo....good Looking?!?