Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

exhaust for evo IX MR - what fits?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust for evo IX MR - what fits?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and had some exhaust questions - which evo 8 TBEs will fit the evo 9 MR ? Did some searching here but couldn't find any other threads on this. I really had my heart set on the 3" APS system with their high flow cat, but I can't find any info on fitment for my car, let alone find a dealer that has one in stock. Didn't want anything too loud, but a little more noticable than stock. Am I correct in thinking the ACD along with the 6 spd on the evo 9 MR is the problem with the downpipes fitting? Any suggestions?
Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

'05 & newer US, UK, & JDM exhausts will fit your car...

Last edited by housedj; Jun 4, 2006 at 11:30 PM. Reason: .
Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sushiman,

I took huge risks when I order my exhausts on my cars, I rolled with one of the first Evo 8 MR units and one of the first Evo 9 units from the dealers in AZ, based on my experience and after reading on this forum I found that all the cat backs from the Evo 8 fits the Evo 9. I am saying this because as stupid as it sound when I ordered downpipes for my cars NOT a single manufacturer could positively tell me if their downpipes would fit, I had to take the risk on my own expense(it was frustrating). The manufacturers told me: If it does not fit send it back for a refund.
The only vendor/manufacturer that positively confirmed the fitment on the MR was Works Racing.

The only big difference is that the 02 sensor on the Evo 9 goes on the cat while the 02 sensor on the Evo 8 goes on the catback piping itself.

As far is the Downpipes, the only difference applies to the MR, some Downpipes clear and some rubb. Works racing did some early testing on downpipes on their own MR.

Go to evolutionmr.net, I haven't wrote on downpipes in a long time.

http://evolutionmr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134

My .2c

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jun 5, 2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur's TBE fits.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:28 AM
5k6
Evolving Member

Get the Buschur racing Bullet turboback and never look back lol. Also Works makes nice stuff if ya like OEM fitment and great customer service.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the great info guys! I do like the fact that the works dp has a thermal coating on it, but it's kind of spendy - I guess you get what you pay for.
The Helix dp and high flow cat look really nice too and I've been told by rallysportdirect that the dp has been revised to fit the ix MR. I didn't want to go with a cat delete setup due to increase in noise and the risk of CELs. Has anyone used the helix cat yet?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The CEL is not an issue. We all get that and just use a CEL fix. You can get the same CEL from a HFC, so don't let that deter you.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

I just put the greddy titanium cat-back and perrin cat delete pipe with the simulator---- runs and sounds great with no problems except i have to get a heat shield for rear bumper
Old Jun 5, 2006, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Apexi N1 Noir......no fitment issues. Sounds like the stock exhaust.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

I just tried putting my Buschur downpipe from my EVO 8 onto my EVo 9 and it rubs on the tranny/diff case and also hits the frame. I had to take it off after a week. I guess someone was wrong or my EVO9 is different from the others.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:32 PM

I decided to go with the dc-sports catback for now - just got it on tonight and I love the sound and performance. Boost comes on a little earlier than before and peaks higher. The only problems I encountered installing it was the holes in the cat side flange were too small which had to be drilled out a little and the O2 fitting on the mid pipe had to be plugged since the secondary O2 on the evo ix is on the cat itself. Otherwise it fits like a glove - no rattles or squeaks whatsoever. Next step will be the dp and the cat.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sushiman
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and had some exhaust questions - which evo 8 TBEs will fit the evo 9 MR ? Did some searching here but couldn't find any other threads on this. I really had my heart set on the 3" APS system with their high flow cat, but I can't find any info on fitment for my car, let alone find a dealer that has one in stock. Didn't want anything too loud, but a little more noticable than stock. Am I correct in thinking the ACD along with the 6 spd on the evo 9 MR is the problem with the downpipes fitting? Any suggestions?
Just got in some JIC's down pipes that fit nicely:

http://www.teamcrd.com/catalog/produ...80e4ab6652c200

I've also put on Perrin that fits well.

The Megan DP did not clear the transfer case because of the flex pipe section on it.

Last edited by Turbo-Ron; Jun 21, 2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

just wondering......why not supply anti-foul spacers rather than the electronic CEL fix? too much work to wire in the electronic piece in

Originally Posted by PERRIN_PAT
Our perrin products will all work on the evo9

Here is the info:
The Perrin test pipe is produced exclusively from 304 stainless steel. The 3-inch center section has no bends for a strait through, high flow design. The stout 1/2-inch flanges prevent warping at high temperatures. (Unusually high temperatures can occur from use of a larger turbo or under racing conditions.) The entire piece is polished to a mirror finish.

Our test pipe can be use in conjunction with the stock down pipe or stock cat back exhaust system. Use the test pipe with the Perrin down pipe and cat back exhaust to produce amazing horsepower! Designed to eliminate the catalytic converter for race/off-road use only.

The Perrin O2 Simulator attaches into the vehicles wire harness simulating the natural operations of an Oxygen sensor.

Our Perrin evolution cat back exhaust system is constructed of full 3" diameter, it is CNC mandrel bent, 304 stainless steel. This fully flanged complete cat-back unit insures leak free function.

www.perrinperformance.com

www.perrinperformance.com