Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

possibel remedy for slight 2nd gear grind.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 19psi
LOL.
What's wrong?
1000K = 1000x1000 = 1,000,000 miles = 1 million miles.

Mine is crunchy when it is cold, but I think all Evos are. I just place the gears and take it easy - then once it warms up, it is smooth. I don't see how adjusting the clutcj could remedy this. But I do see how beating on a cold car and slamming gears could wear it out quicker - no matter what mods you do.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jun 5, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so how many turns did you go w/ yours? I don't have time to test drive every half turn
Old Jun 5, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

I turned it one full turn.

The reason this helps is because when the clutch is not fully dis-engaged the gear does grab just a little bit going into gear in return, causing a slight grinding.

I've had an 03 which did the same thing.
Once I adjusted the clutch rod, it went away completely.

I am not saying this happens on all evos but a lot of them are having this problem.

It's simple to do.
It it helps great, if it does not take to the dealer and have them look at it.

Just trying to be of some help to fellow evo owners having same problem I had.

Last edited by 19psi; Jun 5, 2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by llxzxll
you COULD just learn how to shift smoother/drive normally.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

I've been driving a stick for about 10 years.
I dont need to learn how to drive a stick.
I've 3000GT vr4, 2 evo's. Yes I do know how to drive smoothly.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

No offense but you are talking out of your *** man. I had this issue on my 03, problem was the pedal was never adjusted right from the factory. If the clutch does not fully disengage you will grind the **** out of 2nd gear shifting at anything over 6500 rpm.

Never took mine over 7,000 never speed shifted, tried double clutch, slow shift, pressing the pedal throug the floor board etc, etc. If the clutch does not fully disengage, you will most likely grind. If the clutch is dragging it will keep the syncros from doing there thing and slowing down the gears so they can mate up.

Clutch adjustment solved all the problems on my car, but I did not try that till last, should have done it first, now my suncros are worn and I'm talking to the dealer about getting them replaced since I took it in several times complaining about the problem and they never bothered to check the pedal height either, they even replaced the clutch at 10,000 miles and did not re-adjust the pedal height.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 02:53 AM

how do i adjust the pedal height??
Old Jun 6, 2006, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

You read the first page of this post/follow instructions on evomoto.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 08:38 AM

what instructions??? its a place to buy parts.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

dude read whats wrong with you
Old Jun 6, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

LOL.

Just click on the link to www.lancershop.com and look on top of the page where it says "tips and installs".

If you can't find that, I dont know how I can help you.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
No offense but you are talking out of your *** man. I had this issue on my 03, problem was the pedal was never adjusted right from the factory. If the clutch does not fully disengage you will grind the **** out of 2nd gear shifting at anything over 6500 rpm.

Never took mine over 7,000 never speed shifted, tried double clutch, slow shift, pressing the pedal throug the floor board etc, etc. If the clutch does not fully disengage, you will most likely grind. If the clutch is dragging it will keep the syncros from doing there thing and slowing down the gears so they can mate up.

Clutch adjustment solved all the problems on my car, but I did not try that till last, should have done it first, now my suncros are worn and I'm talking to the dealer about getting them replaced since I took it in several times complaining about the problem and they never bothered to check the pedal height either, they even replaced the clutch at 10,000 miles and did not re-adjust the pedal height.
i don't know about your 03 (since it was the first us production year of the evo 8), but we're talking about a 9 MR. when i first got my gsr, i noticed notchy shifting, what have you as well. i went and bought a weighed shift knob and i've been smooth shifting ever since. i don't know why anyone would have a problem with an MR since it already comes with a weighed knob. this comes from my own personal experience so don't assume i'm just talking out of my ***.

this could very well be a possible fix for the notchiness, but why does everyone else not need to do this in order to drive their evos without grinds. i haven't met a person who knows how to drive stick who isn't able to adjust their driving style for different kinds of cars and their respective manual transmissions.

Last edited by llxzxll; Jun 6, 2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:44 AM

My car does the same thing as the thread starter. I've been driving manual trannys for over 20 years. You have no idea about what is happening. I drive like a granny during the day. RPMs below 3500 rpm, just cruising with traffic. I push in the clutch all the way to the floor before pulling it out of first gear. I slide the shifter midway into the second gear gate and hold it there waiting for the synchronizer to rev match the input shaft with second gear. 95% of the time it never quite gets there in a reasonable amount of time (few seconds) and I have to finish the rev match by allowing the sleeve to mesh with the gear.

I have been thinking about adjusting the clutch pedal free play, and now that I've seen this thread, I'm definitely going to try it.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; Jun 6, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

I dont know how this thread became a argumentive post.
All I was trying to do was help fellow evo owners with some of the same problems I've had.

It's not my driving style or how I drive. That's a fact on my part.
Now I dont know about other peoples situation but there are defenitly others that are having same issues.

I just started this thread in hopes to help some of this problems, not to have any negative posts by someone else (llxzxll).

I respect others input on this as I do yours, but just coming out and telling people to change their driving style is giving them failed advice for I have tried this already.

Like the other guy said, I've tried shifting very slowly in hopes that it does not grined but it grinded no matter what I did.
The problem went away completely after adjusting the clutch rod.
This is the only reason why I started a thread saying " possible remedy", not a complete fix.
If you are still grinding after the rod has been adjusted, then I would suggest you take it to a mechanic or to a dealer if you still have warranty.

Remember, this post is just a suggestion. If you dont think it's going to resolve the problem, dont do it that's all.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I don’t know how this thread became a argumentive post."

19psi,
This happens when you have ppl posting that don't know that much about these cars.
I've owned everything from the '91 GSX/GST, 95 GSX and all of my cars required periodic clutch adjustments. Also, the amount of adj varies from car to car, especially with aftermarket clutches.
Man... We need to invent Bullsh|t filters. We'd be set!

Quick Reply: possibel remedy for slight 2nd gear grind.