Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do you wish you had the MR?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSL all the way and no looking back. I've since changed out everything unique to the MR but the 6spd tranny. I also wanted a sunroof and leather. To me it was a no-brainer.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

I got the MR cause I don't have any plans to do any real mods anytime soon and I like the rims and all the other special stuff. I like all the EVOs I tell you what I am glad of that I didn't get one in 03 as I feel the wait was worth it for me.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope!
Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

so far pro ssl are 05 owners and 06 owners are either base or mr.. the only real difference honestly is the sunroof, but that ruins the handling if you want to do autox etc. mr is your best bet
Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

imo, the GSR with the SSL package is a waste. If you can afford it, buck up the 2k on top of it for the MR. Get the 6sp and better rims.

If not, get the base IX (called GSR). There's tons and tons and tons of threads on this!

Personally, I miss the HID's outta my 03 Evo. Think I'm gonna do some headlight surgery. That option wasn't worth the 3k to me.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

I am happy with my RS, and i pwn MRs.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I wish I had an 06 STi
Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jemjow
I wish I had an 06 STi
Ick...I came from the Subaru world, great car but the price for performance it just wasn't worth it.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jemjow
I wish I had an 06 STi

What the ??? Why don't you just drive into a suby dealer and trade in? I'm sure the difference in price isnt that much...

Anyways, I think you should rethink about getting the SE. It'll have additional goodies and will be a limited model. I got the MR because they were willing to deal more with the price because the dealer had a lot more of them on the lot. Also the 6spd, HIDs, and bilisteins are a big plus.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same issues, but I bought the SSL because of sunroof and sound system. I changed the head unit after a month. the only thing I liked about the MR was that it had 6 gears other than that it was SSL all the way.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

I LOVE MY SSL!!

but, i can't live without a sunroof.. i gotta have one.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
It doesn't matter what people say in answer to this question. What matters is if you care more about lightweight forged rims/bilstein shocks/6spd tranny/zero lift kit/gauge package or the sunroof/leather/sub. The price difference is just under 2k, so which do you prefer?

I prefer the lesser weight, rims that were nearly 3lbs lighter each, superior shocks, aluminum roof, and the extra gear.

I can also see how some prefer the nice leather seats, the appealing sunroof, and the better sound system. Then, there's always the base GSR that is lighter than both and much less expensive followed by the lightest RS that is pretty cheap. All depends on YOUR preference, not ours.
he speaks the truth. actually he sounds like a broken record now, replying the exact same thing to these threads that come up almost every week.

i have a gsr, and yes, sometimes i do wish i had an extra gear. but knowing that the 5spd is a Getrag unit gives me more peace of mind, esp. when i start modding for big power in the future () also the MR didnt' come in black, and i had to have a black Evo....

IMO the SSL is the least performance oriented Evo outta the 4 possible trims (though by no means a slouch, just more comfort oriented). if u want the most comfortable Evo then get the SSL. if not, get the MR.

all out track car without abs/power locks etc., RS.

GSR for acceptable daily driving options (power locks etc.) and 2-4 grand saved from not getting the SSL/MR for mods.

good luck
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

I am aiming to build a 10 sec ix ssl daily driver. I don't believe any 6speed had hit 10's yet in an MR. 5 speed for the win!! I chose the gsr ssl ix because I want a comfortable fast daily driver that will hit 10's and be a fun highway monster.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I do not wish for the MR. For me the SSL was the only choice.
+1, the ONLT thing I like about the MR are the wheels, other than that I thing the car is a waste. But that is just my 2 cents. I didn't like all the extra's it came with.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2StepsAhead
Ick...I came from the Subaru world, great car but the price for performance it just wasn't worth it.
Just because you are not man enough to dirve it!
Thats why sports bikes are nor for p..sies.

Oh behave

Quick Reply: Do you wish you had the MR?