Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Confused

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Confused

I had to take my car to the Dealership to get the grinding from 1st to 2nd fixed.

Come to find out that they actually warrentied (sp) this.

The only mods I had on the car are MBC, boost gauge and K&N drop-in.

The Service Rep told me that they were going to put my boost controller back to stock, stating that the wastegate was bi-passed completely.

It was installed with a vacuum hose from the nipple on the wastegate and the nipple from the turbo.

From what I understand, that is one of the correct ways to install a MBC.

Help me understand why they would say that it was bi-passing the wastegate.

As a side note I am getting two of the three calibers that I had paint chipping replaced for free too. The one they are not changing they stated it had impact marks on it.

Thanks in advance for the help understanding.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newbie03evo
I had to take my car to the Dealership to get the grinding from 1st to 2nd fixed.

Come to find out that they actually warrentied (sp) this.

The only mods I had on the car are MBC, boost gauge and K&N drop-in.

The Service Rep told me that they were going to put my boost controller back to stock, stating that the wastegate was bi-passed completely.

It was installed with a vacuum hose from the nipple on the wastegate and the nipple from the turbo.

From what I understand, that is one of the correct ways to install a MBC.

Help me understand why they would say that it was bi-passing the wastegate.

As a side note I am getting two of the three calibers that I had paint chipping replaced for free too. The one they are not changing they stated it had impact marks on it.

Thanks in advance for the help understanding.

He had to have meant the boost control solenoid. Sounds like he was more confused than you are.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you followed my write up on how to install an MBC then you are right. Even if you didn't follow it it sounds like you go the right idea. Plus the mechanics at the Mitsu dealers have never been known for their genious when it comes to looking at aftermarket parts. So don't listen to them ... i think they may be a little Deet Dee Dee .
Old Jun 6, 2006, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Bypassing the wastegate would allow for unlimited boost, and 0 boost controlling ability. That would be something you would notice at the first WOT run, thats for sure

I had a Mitsu Tech spend 5 minutes trying to explain to me that my transmission was my transfer case. That, however, was the same moron that stole my sunglasses out of my car when it was in for warranty work (that didnt get completed), and he didn't turn 1 more single wrench on the car after that.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aux.
If you followed my write up on how to install an MBC then you are right. Even if you didn't follow it it sounds like you go the right idea. Plus the mechanics at the Mitsu dealers have never been known for their genious when it comes to looking at aftermarket parts. So don't listen to them ... i think they may be a little Deet Dee Dee .
Yes I followed the how-to.

The rep continued to tell me that I didn't have any boost control with the way that the car was set up but my Greddy boost gauge read 1.35 bar WOT in 4th as the spike falling somewhere close to 1.2 bar at redline. Which is all the boost I want before additional mods and a flash.

I had to tell him that the car was setup that way when I bought it so that they would do the warranty work.

Thanks guys for your replies. I am not confused about the boost control just about why he would say that. Just must have been confusion on their part because I know I have control over boost with Perrin MBC on there.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

What did they do to fix it? Did they replace your synchro? I am taking mine in for the same problem soon. But, I will not have a mbc installed. Also, how long did they keep it?
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

dropped it Monday. Don't know just yet what they did to fix but they say it will be ready by Friday. Also if your brake calibers are chipping paint point it out to them when they check your car in and they should replace them. See my original post.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think those guys at the dealer have much of a clue. Sounds like you have it installed correctly. Maybe he meant the wastegate actuator