Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does a Turbo Back Exhaust (TBE) void any warranties?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does a Turbo Back Exhaust (TBE) void any warranties?

Sorry for such a noob question. I have tried to search for the answers for several days and unable to find the answer I need. I am currently looking at purchasing a TurboXS TBE using stock cat. I was wonder if it would void any warranty. Threads I have looked at stated that Mitsubishi dealerships (those that are mod friendly) states that it is ok for a catback exhaust.

Also I am open to suggestions on other types of TBE Exhaust out there. I narrowed it down between between TurboXS and Injen SES and decided on the XS due to decibels. I would like AMS or Burshurs but heard they can be very loud as I do not want to attract any unwanted attention. I know I know I drive an EVO, but still.

Also I was wondering if I need a tune. or should I wait on MBC and Fuel Pump upgrade before a tune. Money is kinda of limited. Would have gone with Warrtalon/Burshurs stage 1, but unfortunately I dont have $1500 to spend at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:19 PM
5k6
Evolving Member

It depends on the dealor, but mostly if you mod anything you got a chance of voiding your warranty. But a downpipe is not going to give you much if any power with the stock cat. If you want a downpipe then I would get at least a High Flow Cat.

P.S. I would say if you want to be stelth then I would get a dynoflash. It may be detectible but not unless they scan it and also it will give you alot of power.

Last edited by 5k6; Jun 6, 2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

and the high flow cat will def. void your warranty
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

+1^^ almost anything you do aftermarket wise will void your warranty, but if your dealer is cool just ask them first. I had cams, flash, TBE w/test pipe and they let me slide.. in fact my cams were a little off and they fixed them, so you know they let me get away with murder. I had an issue with a/f and they did a diagnostic and still didn't say anything.. It really really is up to the dealer.. my .02c Good luck
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

The only thing that I see that they could void your warranty on is the emissions warranty since there will be no more cat there and you tampered with it.... just because you changed your exhaust to a TBE they cant void the warranty for your WHOLE car.... if they do... sue their asses
Old Jun 7, 2006, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Just save your old exhaust, and when you have a problem with your car, put It back on... but in case of an Evo, everything voids the warranty.....
Old Jun 7, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Everything will void your warranty so just get comfortable changing out your exhaust before you take it to the dealer. Heck, I even peel off my window tint before I go there. You never can be too safe I would hate to have my transmission go out due to my 5% window film.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
As soon as you sign your name on that line your warranty is voided.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:29 AM

Consider it already gone.... it'll make your life easier
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

I had a tbe, fmic, Dynoflash, mbc, k&n filter, wideband, ECU+, etc on my car when it went in for warranty work a few times and they didn't care. They took care of everything, no questions asked. They even reset the cel that was on due to my cat delete pipe
I guess some of you have bad dealers. Or maybe some of you are a little younger than I am so they give you a harder time. My dealer never gave anyone problems for their mods though. They even replaced brake calipers (due to peeling) on a car with slotted rotors and race pads and didn't say a word about them
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like the others said, its really up to the dealer in your area.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

If it is a SMALL item it is up to the dealer, otherwise it is up to the district Rep whom is usually a bag of douche. Put whatever exhaust on you like, and swap it to stock if you need to return to the dealer for warranty work. Don't post mods in your signature or any of your posts either, as I have had my warranty voided from mods listed on EvoM when I brought my car in for work when it was 95% stock at the time.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

I told the dealer what I wanted to do when I bought the car. The got the regional rep down and he told me "bolt-ons" are fine. F with the wiring harnesses F your warranty. He even said an Xede would be OK. . Not to start a flame war but he said that anything with Buschur on it and he would void the warranty on the spot. he had a BAD experience in Dallas with an EVO that was hacked up back in the day.

Bolt-ons meaning exhaust, CAI, IC pipes. NOT cams, cam gears, turbo, hotside may slide. But I am past all that so mine us gone.

That is just my experience. But, I am open with my service manager. He even comes to my races when they are local.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

my car is almost 3 and half old.. Can I still "cancel" my warranty?
Old Jun 7, 2006, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you so much for the replies. I will check with dealership here in TENN and Northern VA since I reside in both. Since money is still tight, cause I am in Grad school, I am trying milk the warranty for all that is worth at the same time attempting to mods the car. I know there is a delicate balance between the two but after Dec I am going all out.

Quick Reply: Does a Turbo Back Exhaust (TBE) void any warranties?