Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO article in USAToday

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2003, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink hey, it aint that bad...

Originally posted by trigeek37
that is the most worthless article I have read about the Evo. I think he should stick to reviewing SUVs & mini-vans.

my favorite quote: "You will, however, love the rear-window wiper." - oh yeah, it's what sold me on the car!
Hey, the article is quite complimentary of the car. It really does sing the praises of the car's performance, looks, etc.

Sure, the pros and cons listed are pretty silly when you consider the car's intended use and demographic appeal. I will admit that the rear wing does block the police cars' top lights . The rest of the complaints are baseless and just plain stupid. I don't know what the hell they are talking about the "bucking at low speeds" or how do they get their foot to bounce off the pedal?? I guess they don't know how to drive at all... The Recaros are about as comfy as they can be. For me they are great and I'm certainly not a young spring chicken Another thing I could not understand was the description of the "small rear seat" Good grief, it's got more back seat room than a handful of full sized cars that I've seen....

Anyway, the article is a little off base specially in the negative points that it names, but all in all, it's pretty positive of the car in general and of it's performance in particular.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 03:09 PM
P2x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I think it was a review for the average schmo on the street and did a good job of that, because let's face it, most people driving it would come to similar conclusions he did.

It's an auto-enthusiast's car, and auto-enthusiasts won't be basing the decisions of what to buy from what they read in USAToday (or at least I hope not).

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the review.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

I also get the bucking over bumps b/c of the foot bouncing on the throttle.. good to hear itsn not just me every time it happens, i feel like people around me are staring and thinking i cant drive stick.. im too short to brace my leg agaisnt the console, so if is starts to happen, i'll either pussh my foot a bit harder id theres nobody in front, or ease off a bit and coast over the bumps before hitting gas again.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

I have had no problems keeping that bucking under control, and when it HAS happened, it simply makes me smile at how responsive the throttle is and it evokes nothing negative in me whatsoever . That's just how my motorcycle is in the first few gears; to me it just translates to power on tap!
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

If your an old fart fat *** of course this car will suck for you, so fatty should buy a big sedan or SUV, Oh yea had my first poll position with a Mustang 5.0, I even let him edge a few feet ahead of me, the road slightly curved left right away and I left the guy standing still about 6-7 car lengths never caught me and he was really giving it a go
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Thwack
I also get the bucking over bumps b/c of the foot bouncing on the throttle.. good to hear itsn not just me every time it happens, i feel like people around me are staring and thinking i cant drive stick.. im too short to brace my leg agaisnt the console, so if is starts to happen, i'll either pussh my foot a bit harder id theres nobody in front, or ease off a bit and coast over the bumps before hitting gas again.
I don't understand this "floating foot" syndrome... When I drive, my leg is resting on the bolstered seat and my foot is resting on the floor; that is, my right heel is on the floor and my foot is on the accelerator pedal. I find it very easy to control my foot and lower leg with my muscles..... I don't understand how one's foot can just bounce around down there....
Old Apr 18, 2003, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evilution
"And it prods you into that behavior because the 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution bucks and jerks going slowly."

I was actually going to bring this up. This is the only car I've ever owned that does this. It's not from low speeds for me so much as hitting minor bumps in the road at low speeds then my foot gets bounced off the throttle causing it to buck. Gotta be honest I hate that. Probably the only thing I hate besides the 1st to 2nd shift. Anyone else have this problem? I spilled coffee all over my wife from the bucking She wasn't too happy but at least it didn't get on the car
Yes to both. I tend to have that problem on the road my house is on due to the ****ty quality of it and yes I hate the 1st to 2nd shift. It's only consistenly smooth if I'm driving like grandma and every blue moon it's smooth when I'm driving a bit harder.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

I think you guys are picturing something a lot more extreme looking than what we're explaining. It's not like we're talking about square dancing on the pedal because of a bump. We're saying that since it only takes a very slight press of the throttle in 1st gear and _sometimes_ 2nd gear to make this car jump forward then it doesn't take much to start bucking. Also, just because some of you can't understand how this happens doesn't mean that it isn't happening or that it's not possible. It really has nothing to do with a person's ability to drive a stick in my opinion. (I guess it can in some situations but not _always_)
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zyounker
No problems at all with bucking.. I think you guys need some more practice.. Just do everything smoothly.. That is key with being fast anyway. generally smooth=faster.
Going fast without bucking is EASY.
Taking it slow in <insert pothole-ridden location here> is a bit more challenging.

Back on topic, the commentary on the USA Today article makes it seem so lame I almost didn't read it. I must say I laughed pretty hard at the article when I read it: "You'll miss having a fold-down rear seat to expand the trunk's cargo area." Ummm, may last car had no trunk to speak of (TransAm).

There goes another reason why I don't read USA Today... ack! I just did I guess.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silverEVO8

I don't understand this "floating foot" syndrome... When I drive, my leg is resting on the bolstered seat and my foot is resting on the floor; that is, my right heel is on the floor and my foot is on the accelerator pedal. I find it very easy to control my foot and lower leg with my muscles..... I don't understand how one's foot can just bounce around down there....
It's an understandable problem - It took me a few months to be able to not do this in a non-performance stickshift. It took a few years to do it without concentrating. Perhaps those having difficulty with this are either not particularly good at stick yet (I mean experience measured in years here) or haven't used stickshifts with so much torque going through them.

An automatic has about a thousand small clutches absorbing this stuff, while an stick relies on your feet. With a stick, you've either gotta really build up the leg muscles that restrain your foot from sudden movements or burn your clutch a lot to keep from bucking on a potholed road.
-N
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
And you'll enjoy a smug smile now and then when some fool in a Corvette or BMW mistakes the Evo for a backyard custom job and tries to teach a lesson about "real" go-fast machinery. Hoo-hah.

Well guys i think that part of it was good:
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

I think this writer is used to some real nice rides or something. Come on now anyone will say it's a steal for under 30,000. In the article it said it was expensive and only for men age 30 to 50 with incomes of 90,000+. Not at all the case for me and many others.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Who'll buy? Mitsubishi sees the Lancer Evolution as a second or third car for married men in their late 30s to early 50s with median household incomes of $90,000-plus. Or as the dream buggy for twentysomethings who'd spend about the same, in the end, buying and customizing a Honda Civic or a Subaru WRX."

yeah, whatever dude
Old Apr 18, 2003, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Yojimbo
I think you guys are picturing something a lot more extreme looking than what we're explaining. It's not like we're talking about square dancing on the pedal because of a bump. We're saying that since it only takes a very slight press of the throttle in 1st gear and _sometimes_ 2nd gear to make this car jump forward then it doesn't take much to start bucking. Also, just because some of you can't understand how this happens doesn't mean that it isn't happening or that it's not possible. It really has nothing to do with a person's ability to drive a stick in my opinion. (I guess it can in some situations but not _always_)
I still do not understand what the problem could be..... I envision something like a foot on the accelerator but not supported by the heel on the floor..... That would be very hard to drive without bucking....

BTW, the streets in Atlanta are a national disgrace with the potholes, broken pavement and such... I also have driven uncounted hundreds of miles over dirt and gravel roads in NC, TN and GA, but I never experienced that problem except in a couple of beat up old trucks I had where the clutch was shot, and that only when going over particularly rough terrain (holes deep enough to bottom a van or pickup truck).

I don't mean to offend but perhaps it's just inexperience with a stick shift? I suggest practicing finding the correct gear and learning to control the muscles in the legs and feet...
Old Apr 18, 2003, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

god..throughout this whole article, i was thinking a little kid was writing it..sooo many f*ckin cheesy similes and metaphors.

this article would've been 100 times better if he noted:

"This is a true sports car. Keep that in mind."

Quick Reply: EVO article in USAToday