Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO article in USAToday

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2003, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO article in USAToday

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...4-17-evo_x.htm
Old Apr 18, 2003, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

that is the most worthless article I have read about the Evo. I think he should stick to reviewing SUVs & mini-vans.

my favorite quote: "You will, however, love the rear-window wiper." - oh yeah, it's what sold me on the car!
Old Apr 18, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

I agree! This is the worst article I've seen written about the Evo yet. It's even worse than the drivel I read in the Washington post a few sundays ago.

Even if I hadn't looked at the pic of the author, I would have been easily able to guess that the article was written by an out of touch, old man.

He's worrying about the 'bucking' of the throttle at low speeds.

He thinks the Recaros are hard to sit in and get out of.

But he loves the rear windshield wiper.

He absolutely and totally missed the point of this car!

He absolutely and totally misses the point with most cars that are tuned for the youthful crowd!

You can't expect someone who is so far removed from the demographic focus of the Evo to be able to relate to what this car brings to the table.

If newspapers really want to have ANY credibility when it comes to car reviews, they should hire a few writers who match the demographics and more closely relate to the potential buyers of the car at hand. ie...don't have your AARP eligible writers BS about cars that are created for their children or grandchildren!

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Apr 18, 2003 at 07:57 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

What else are we instore for?? I can only imagine...
Old Apr 18, 2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by trigeek37
that is the most worthless article I have read about the Evo. I think he should stick to reviewing SUVs & mini-vans.

my favorite quote: "You will, however, love the rear-window wiper." - oh yeah, it's what sold me on the car!

Have to laugh at "you'll eventually detest the severe Recaros".

But hey, now you know why we don't usually get real cars here in the states.

This is a market that pronounces cars like the Ford Thunderbird and PT Cruiser car of the year:
cars based on replacing sound design and engineering with fake nostalgia. So what what do you expect.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by trigeek37

Useless, however in a way beneficial for us in the long run since it keeps the non performance car enthusiasts out of the market for it and makes it more of a "limited edition" vehicle. I'll make sure this guy and others like him get a good look at my rear wiper when I blow by there A$$es next time
Old Apr 18, 2003, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

people at my office who read it are mocking me on the "dream buggy for 20-somethings" and the "you'll lose your liscence before you make the last payment"... they have a pool on when i'll get my 1st speeding ticket.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

"And it prods you into that behavior because the 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution bucks and jerks going slowly."

I was actually going to bring this up. This is the only car I've ever owned that does this. It's not from low speeds for me so much as hitting minor bumps in the road at low speeds then my foot gets bounced off the throttle causing it to buck. Gotta be honest I hate that. Probably the only thing I hate besides the 1st to 2nd shift. Anyone else have this problem? I spilled coffee all over my wife from the bucking She wasn't too happy but at least it didn't get on the car
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Evilution
"And it prods you into that behavior because the 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution bucks and jerks going slowly."

I spilled coffee all over my wife from the bucking She wasn't too happy but at least it didn't get on the car
Bwa hahahaahaha! You sir, are a TRUE car enthusiast!
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Evilution
I spilled coffee all over my wife from the bucking She wasn't too happy but at least it didn't get on the car
Nicely put!! Anyway, I too, am not too happy when the car bucks from a bump on the road because my foot jumped off the throttle... usually happens on first gear at a stoplight, although not that often. Did that make sense? In my eyes however, it shows how touchy the car is, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Do you keep the heel of your foot on the mat when applying throttle? I do, and have had no problems with "bucking".

I can see how if you don't let your foot contact the floor while applying throttle, bumps would make you hit the pedal harder than you planned to.

But if your foot is off the ground when working the pedal, you can't be nearly as efficient with the throttle inputs in general...vs a person who uses the floor to steady up the foot.

SC~ who's just bs'in
Old Apr 18, 2003, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

I was kinda wondering that myself... If you're not used to driving an AWD vehicle, then you tend to buck it a lot... Takes a little practice... they'll get used to it soon enough...
Old Apr 18, 2003, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Actually, foot on the floor doesn't help much - especially w/severe bumps.

The problem has to do with the leg itself not being anchored, so the foot portion (if ankle is pivot) is being controlled by an unsecured leg. I learned this the hard way after a couple of days in San Francisco. The trick is to lean your leg (or at least your calf) agains the center console so that it is now stabilized and no longer accepts input from the road that interferes with throttle modulation.

Of course, I'm a little taller than average, so your YMMV...

-Josh
Old Apr 18, 2003, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

No problems at all with bucking.. I think you guys need some more practice.. Just do everything smoothly.. That is key with being fast anyway. generally smooth=faster.

When i drive i brace myself in anyway. I have no problem with my weight shifting or loosing my footing.

-Zach
Old Apr 18, 2003, 02:34 PM
i45
Evolving Member

"If you live in the real world, it'll knock your fillings loose. "
Ha great qoute,

Yah dis guy totally missed the point of tha evo,
Bad article.

Quick Reply: EVO article in USAToday