Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

best gauges for the price?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best gauges for the price?

hey guys i am looking into getting some gauges for my IX i really wanted defi gauges but i heard there boost gauges tend to go bad or be unaccurate, and i also heard they discontunied them to fix this problem, i also heard the same about the autometer nexus gauges. i am looking for a boost gauge, EGT oil Pressure or temp, and air fuel can anyone recomend a company that is best for these. any help is appericated

thanks

Jay
Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Stewart Warner guages from http://www.42draftdesigns.com
Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:25 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

+1 for Stewart Warner!
Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

i have a stewart warner boost....are they really that good?didnt think they were,just had it layin around in house so i put it in...learn somethin new everyday
Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:40 PM

+2 for 42draftdesgn. Quality product and perfect fit. The SW guages will really compliment your IX.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 208 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by jfLip
Stewart Warner guages from http://www.42draftdesigns.com

Just got mine installed.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Stewart Warner and +3 for 42 draft designs!!! Their customer service is top notch!!!

RedAustinIX
Old Jun 7, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

what size is their boost gauge, it does'nt say on the site? They are mechanical boost gauges also, rite?
Old Jun 7, 2006, 05:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 208 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by PANGES
what size is their boost gauge, it does'nt say on the site? They are mechanical boost gauges also, rite?
52mm
Old Jun 7, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

we are offering 10% off of all of our gauges, We currently only have the Defi ones on the new site. However this is a very good deal on defi gauges. Check out the site. www.gnvmotorsports.com Please enter 10PCOFF in the coupon code area for the discount.

Steve
GnV Motorsports
Old Jun 7, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Stewart Warner shift light and tach in one guage and it is great, far nicer than my other auto meter guages. But none of them hold a candle to the single AEM EMS serial guage. Everything in one.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, don't waste your time with stewart warner gauges, I made that mistake. If you are going to go with gauges, go with ones that have a warning system.

What good is an oil pressure gauge when you are looking at the road 99% of the time. Along with EGT, when you're flooring the car you don't want to look at your EGT to see if you are frying your motor, you are looking ahead.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

have had awesome luck with mine !
Old Jun 8, 2006, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanJ
Honestly, don't waste your time with stewart warner gauges, I made that mistake. If you are going to go with gauges, go with ones that have a warning system.

What good is an oil pressure gauge when you are looking at the road 99% of the time. Along with EGT, when you're flooring the car you don't want to look at your EGT to see if you are frying your motor, you are looking ahead.
Im not sure how your gauges work, but simple warnings do not always work the way you want them to.

If you put a warning at say 5psi for oil pressure and youre engine goes down to 6 psi at WOT, your engine is still toast and youl never hear the buzzer or see the light. Not to mention it might be worse since youl never be paying attention to the gauge and just listening for the warning signals. The car has a built in oil idiot light anyway.

And by the time your EGT picks up a huge spike in temp, the buzzer goes off, you realize whats going on, and you react, your motor is fried already so it doesnt matter anyway.

Most gauges are not designed primarily as catastrophic faulre detectors. They are there to make sure you are not pushing the car past its limits in normal operating conditions, like an RPM gauge. For example, you use your EGT to determine your engine is not running hot under nominal conditions, not to detect a sudden leanout.

Now you can try to use them as failure detectors, but they dont work as well doing this.

That being said, Stewart Warner gauges seem to be very accurate, very good looking, and very reasonable in price. +1 for them.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ill_take_one
Just got mine installed.
Did you take them somewhere or install them yourself? I want the 42 Draft Design triple pod, but need them installed and am wondering where is a good place to go?

Quick Reply: best gauges for the price?