Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

This diff fluid does'nt quite look right.....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ReHeat
That's definitely Redline Heavy Shockproof in your pic. I had that stuff in my TC for 20K miles and it was fine, but I had 75W/90 in the rear diff. The Heavy Shockproof might not be slippery enough for the rear diff. How come you didn't know you had that stuff in there, did someone else change your fluid and didn't tell you what they put in?

Here's the story:

I bought the car with 7500 miles and was lazy and decided to go have AMS change my fluids. I nevr specifed what fluid to use, I assumed it wa OEM stuff. The receipt said REDLINE and to be honest I was quite happy knowing I had gotten the "good stuff". Or so I thought.

After about a 1000 miles I started to get the vibrations and growling in my rear diff. I made a post about it and was told it was the REDLINE fluid and to do a search. I searched and come to the same conclusion others have, it's just not good in the rear diff. Others have also experienced the same exact conditions as me.

I emailed AMS and was told this is what they use in their car and all others. I left it at that. I, the Evo noob, was not questioning AMSs knowledge with the Evo. They are very competent, this fluid just did'nt jive right in my diff.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which AMS? Isnt there two of them... Atlantic Motorsports and Auto Moto Sports... ? Why do they have to be confusing? Either way it sucks that AMS put that oil in there... heh probably job security...
Old Jun 8, 2006, 04:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He is from IL. 2+2=
Old Jun 8, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Which AMS? Isnt there two of them... Atlantic Motorsports and Auto Moto Sports... ? Why do they have to be confusing? Either way it sucks that AMS put that oil in there... heh probably job security...

It has nothing to do with who put it in. They run it in their cars wihout incident, and so do countless others. All i'm trying to say is that it does'nt work for everyone, searching these boards for ShockProof will reveal that.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
you're not suppose to use redline heavy shockproof in the rear diff. if you do you need to use a friction modifyer.

what was happening was your clutch plates were locking too early as the shockproof is really gooey stuff.

it's actually not that bad of a thing, but it causes the rear diff vibrations when you're at full lock parallel parking and stuff like that.

just get the proper rear diff fluid. redline 75/90

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index....79475#msg79475
Old Jun 8, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

My symptoms were much worse than that. My wife as well as one of my friends even brought it to much attention how much "harsher" the ride felt in my car. The car would vibrate real bad when tuning, and lets not even talk about the noises it made and shakes it got when I would slow to a light or stop sign.

This was all cured by just changing to Mobil1 75/90. Nothing else was done differently with the car, I just changed the rear diff fluid.

For the record, I hold no one liable for this but myself. There are lots of people who love this stuff, not me though.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:13 AM

I'm sorry to bring this back from the dead but need some sound advice. I blew my motor a year ago and replaced it with a new longblock to drop in but had to leave for the military so the car sat for about a year. Well long story short we put the block in the car and tried to start it and it didn't so I took it to AMS(In Chicago) to get it finished so I would have time to spend with my family instead of turn the wrench and diagnose why the car wouldn't start over my Christmas leave. AMS got it started and tuned and I was a happy camper boosting back home while I was on my vacation.

Since then I've brought the car down to Texas with me and it was time to check on everything and do an oil change. I raised the car and my whole bottom end was covered in the OP's pink milky substance! It looks like it is coming from the TC but I can't tell. Now the only thing different with my issue and the OP is that mine is not from the rear diff and it's all over the block and oil pan and exhaust and in some places it's not even pink but a bluish green milky color. I've since stopped driving it and have it parked. I don't have alot of time like I used to because of the military so haven't had time to tear stuff off and take a look but I will the second I get a chance. Anyone that's had similar problems know where it's coming from and what it could be? The fluid looks JUST like the OP's picture but from the front of the car and bluish green in some places like the axles and part of the oil pan. Thanks EvoM in advance!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ the bluish green is redlines oil for your tranny.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOIXMR8916
damn that is pink and weird looking....
Originally Posted by Kodiak
And has a real nasty smell.
Some antibiotics should help the situation
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by hiner005
^^^ the bluish green is redlines oil for your tranny.
Thanks a lot for the quick response! I'll have it checked out come Thursday at a shop. Do you know where it could be leaking from? Like common places it would leak from etc. When I first noticed it it was kind of everywhere so couldn't source where it was coming from. A general basic idea may save me some money so I can tell the shop to check there first.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Some antibiotics should help the situation
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dann
Thanks a lot for the quick response! I'll have it checked out come Thursday at a shop. Do you know where it could be leaking from? Like common places it would leak from etc. When I first noticed it it was kind of everywhere so couldn't source where it was coming from. A general basic idea may save me some money so I can tell the shop to check there first.
Do you have any pictures or can you take any?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 03BoostedVIII
Do you have any pictures or can you take any?
Yeah I'll try to get some tomorrow. I've been avoiding driving the car since I've noticed the fluid but the Auto Hobby shop is like 5 minutes from where I'm staying so I'll baby it over there on the lift.