Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

what do you guys think? RSX type-s Or Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what do you guys think? RSX type-s Or Evo

I know it's all up to what I want but I'm looking to spend 25k on a new vehicle and wanted to know what you all think the best bang for the buck is? I could get a new RSX Type-S or a used Evo but I have concerns for both I guess. I know an 04 or 05 Evo's isn't as good as the new 06's but how much worse are they and I'm worried that if I did go the RSX Type-S route I'd be taking a step down in performance from my current vehicle (stage 4 300zx TT). I hear they are discontinuing the RSX also and that may be something to consider. I'm kind of torn on what vehicle to get but it boils down to New slower vehicle or Used faster vehicle I guess. If I did go Evo do you think I’d be unhappy knowing that the 06's are better or could I make up for that in mods and how much?

Some of these questions I know have been already answered in other threads I'm just seeking opinions really.

Last edited by SimonSays; Jun 8, 2006 at 09:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 8, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

They're both great cars. Test drive them and see which appeals to you. The Hondas are too sterile for my tastes.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

I would consider the RS, you may be able to get one for 25K. 9's are definitely the way to go though. RSX's are good reliable cars but are not fast, and take a lot of money to be fast. For 2K you can be running 11's on the 1/4 on pump. My .02
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

test drive them both man. i am sure there will be pros and cons about both of them for you.

also, you may want to consider if you can get the used evo with a warranty (or if you don't care about a warranty at all

if I were you though, i think i would go for the evo.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:02 AM

First, search buddy. Plenty of threads asking if people regretted having an 05 and not a IX. I think as long as you have an Evo, you'll be happy, sure there may be a "better" one, but it's still an Evo! There's great advantages to an 06 over an 05, there's advantages to an 05 over an 05, etc. But I'd have to say most people do not regret having an 05.

Now, which one, RSX or Evo. 2 completely different cars, 2 completely different worlds, you do realize you'll get a biased answer unless you provide more detail. What do you want from this car? What are your goals? And why would the 2 cars you're looking at be an RSX and Evo, BIG difference!

With that said, Evo!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

if you want to be worry-free... then get the new car..rsx...
other than that.... EVO of course... even though the 04-05 are not as good as the 06...it still much better than the rsx...

another way to help you determine your choice is... do you perfer a 4door car or a 2-dr... aren't you tired of 2-dr?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

if that's your price range, how bout a new Civic Si v. Golf GTI v. RSX type-S. the EVO shouldn't even be in the same boat as those cars. usually when people are contemplating buying an EVO, it's between the EVO, 350z, g35, s2k or the STI. this is a first for me.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

there is not a huge diff between the 05 and 06 so i would get an 05 and save some money
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

I have both cars.

the RSX is definitley a nice fwd car and the interior quality and overall fit and finish is very top notch (imho). they are also very beautiful cars (imho again) and the amount of aftermarket support is inumerable. I give the RSX

the Evo on the other hand was a whole new beast for me. Coming from the honda camp, i was used to no low-end, plenty of top end. however, with the evo, there seems to be hardly any turbo lag and it pulls all the way to redline. I honestly couldn't describe the feeling when i first drove all the evo. all I could say was "wtf, holy ****" I give the evo

as far as insurance is concerned, I actually pay more for the RSX than the EVO, due to the evo being a sedan and the rsx a sports coupe.

so in my opinion, I'd take the evo, you can find a good used one for a decent price, just gotta look around. the rsx is a very nice car, but once you drive both back to back, i'm pretty sure you'll know which one you want. and that's what it's all about right? driving
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is a "Stage 4" 300ZX? How are we supposed to know how much performance that is?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:14 AM

Evo
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

I know Acura will be terminating the RSX. The Civic Si offers similar performance for less money.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
don't forget to factor in maintenance cost and insurance cost. You might be able to afford an evo now but can you afford the insurance and cost of all the schedule maintenance the evo required. a new set of tires for the evo can cost $1k and don't last too long. synthetic oil is not cheap and the rsx gets better gas mileage. but if you're looking for pure performance, it doesn't get any better than the evo for the money.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stage 4 300ZX TT ---I guess it have intake and turbo back exhaust, boost controller and remap ECU. it may running 50-80 hp more than stock 300 hp.

If you are from stage 4 300ZX TT, you should get a EVO, The RSX is just not for you.

Originally Posted by GPTourer
What is a "Stage 4" 300ZX? How are we supposed to know how much performance that is?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you get a "real" test drive in an Evo, you won't buy an RSX. An '05 Evo would be fine. There are some nice things the 06's have, but it's not all that critical.

I would say test drive them all and make your decision. I would say you are not going to notice much of a difference between the '05 and '06, and if money is a factor, then the '05 takes it.....