Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intercooler T-Clamps = crap

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler T-Clamps = crap

I was drivin at around 3500 rpm on highway and lost complete power all of a sudden. I had to float my way over to the right lane (4 lanes over) The upper clamp came off and i had no screwdriver, luckily for ONCE a cop stopped to help and had a screwdriver. he asked like 5 Q's about my RS intake

So my question to all is has anyone just changed the clamps to better ones or just tighten the hell out of the stock ones?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aznfballer79
I was drivin at around 3500 rpm on highway and lost complete power all of a sudden. I had to float my way over to the right lane (4 lanes over) The upper clamp came off and i had no screwdriver, luckily for ONCE a cop stopped to help and had a screwdriver. he asked like 5 Q's about my RS intake

So my question to all is has anyone just changed the clamps to better ones or just tighten the hell out of the stock ones?
i have t clamps. u need to torqe them. stock poped off to much
Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

It's a good idea to leave a few tools in any vehicle you drive. A multi-tip screwdriver, a small wrench or socket set, and a roll of duct tape can handle a lot of surprise situations.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:29 PM
Account Disabled

Here you go,thanks to justchill http://www.justchil.net/evo/part_lis...st_clamps.html
Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

same thing happened to me but i was pushing 28 PSI =D
Old Jun 8, 2006, 09:17 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I learned that when I had 1000 miles and being bone stock lol.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The stock clamps are trash, if you tighten them the threads on the clamp bend out of shape and completely lose hold of the worm gear. I replaced mine with high quality worm gear style clamps and never had another problem... T-bolts are bling that works and works well, but they are much more expensive than a high quality worm gear style clamp.

Keith
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

T-bolt clamps are great. Just remember to retighten a few weeks after putting them on, the rubber gives and they will get loose. You can replace them all without taking off any of the hoses, although some of the bottom ones are a pita. I agree the stock clamps are miserable, so cheap they bend the first time you tighten them.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

truely any worm clamp sux..imo
Old Jun 9, 2006, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't stand T-bolt clamps. They will distort if over tightened( which most suffer that fate) and cause leaks. Not to mention they will easily crush aluminum i/c pipes if over tightened(which most suffer that fate). It is true that they will not blow apart...even after they have distorted and crushed your piping. They look really cool no doubt, but I run typical parts store hose clamps and have never had on blow off. As long as the piping has a good bead on the end and the clamp is tight it should never blow.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drifto
Can't stand T-bolt clamps. They will distort if over tightened( which most suffer that fate) and cause leaks. Not to mention they will easily crush aluminum i/c pipes if over tightened(which most suffer that fate). It is true that they will not blow apart...even after they have distorted and crushed your piping. They look really cool no doubt, but I run typical parts store hose clamps and have never had on blow off. As long as the piping has a good bead on the end and the clamp is tight it should never blow.
I mainly like them because they are twice as wide vs. regular hose clamps. It goes a long way towards helping blowing off piping. But you are right, they do end up crushing aluminum piping

I tried using hose clamps but the aftermarket coupler going to my turbo outlet wouldn't stay on with a narrow hose clamp...I tried tightening them but I ended up stripping the worm threads on my stock hose clamps as well
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

they only crush piping if you crank them down. i have had mine on and off 400 times and no problems on my piping. there is a toruqe setting for them if you exseed it then you will have truble. i will never use anything else.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evodan2004
they only crush piping if you crank them down. i have had mine on and off 400 times and no problems on my piping. there is a toruqe setting for them if you exseed it then you will have truble. i will never use anything else.
try fitting a torque wrench in these spots...

besides I think these torque setting go out the window with aftermarket stuff that doesn't fit as well as factory.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

T Clamps are the bomb.. I must have taken mine off and put them back on 100's of times. The only way you crush piping is if you torque the hell out of them. That is of course if you have quality piping. I've seen worm clamps crush an upper I/C after massive torque... just my .02c Good luck
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
try fitting a torque wrench in these spots...

besides I think these torque setting go out the window with aftermarket stuff that doesn't fit as well as factory.
you are right. it is hard to get a 3 foot bar in there. they do make smaller ones but i get the point. use your brain torque setting. make it snug not super tight. no need to clamp them down so hard. they do the jub when there snug.

Quick Reply: Intercooler T-Clamps = crap