Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cooling down with the heater on?!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling down with the heater on?!?

When i was at the strip, these two guys with an Srt4 and a Cobalt SS told me to turn my heater on all the way (to 4) and to turn the dial to defogger... they told me something about how this would act as an second radiator and help cool down the engine, till i waited for my run.. is this true? any ideas?

...just to add something while i posted, i removed the condoms of the bulbs to get the guage lights brighter, putem back on (which dont seem too brighter tho) and i feels like my speedometer is lower than it should be when im driving around... maybe its psychological, (the needle stays at zero for the first second i throttle it, then rises -never watched if it did so before)...clues?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

It is physically true that turning on the heater is like having a second minature radiator.

Not sure how big of a difference it will make....

Last edited by WTF_LOL; Jun 8, 2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

dude its cuz the heater core is how it makes heat which is a tiny radiator. to me the guys are retarded. and since the engine is off the interior heater is only gonna cool off whats in the heater core. just leave ur car off or run a switch to ur fan and turn it on but to me its not worth the hassle.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know how much of a difference it makes but I know that when my moms car was overheating I turned up the heater all the way to get the hot air out and reduce the temperatures.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

yea when my mr2 turbo had overheating issues and i was forced to drive the car to different shops, i always turn on the heater when the needle in the engine temp. gauge in the dashboard is goin up, and this always cools the engine temperature down.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

yes it will if the car is running!!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
I don't know how much of a difference it makes but I know that when my moms car was overheating I turned up the heater all the way to get the hot air out and reduce the temperatures.
lol its funny because it acually has happened to a realtive.lol
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:03 PM

it cools down alittle due to when you have the heater on it circulates the coolent throught the radiotor wich cools it down a little. i tried it but didnt really make a difference. just kick back for a couple of minutes and youd be straight
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

on my 3000gt, i actually data logged it, the coolant temp went down about 3 degrees C under. Ever since i seen that happen, on my evo, i've always had my car on "heat" most of times, unless the weather gets un-bearing. I should try logging the evo to see the difference.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

thats cool to know.. anyone have a clue on my speedometer stuff? i dont want the rpm to be 8k and show me 7k... i disconnected the white plug with the wires, when installing, the wires seemed ok, could it be pyschological? i mean, when your exiting a parking lot (at those speeds) does your needle stay at 0 till you start hitting the throttle properly?
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WTF_LOL
It is physically true that turning on the heater is like having a second minature radiator.

Not sure how big of a difference it will make....

+1

its like a 2nd radiator the heater core is a small radiator you actually don't turn on the fan just turn the knob to hot and it opens the valve to the heater core.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

the thing about turning it to defogger might be off though, I think the defogger uses the a/c core to dry the air, so like to put the least strain on the engine youd want it on any setting other than defogger.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

The defogger bit is so its not blowing in your face. But it does work because I've used the technique when my coolent ran low and it started to over heat.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sesso
dude its cuz the heater core is how it makes heat which is a tiny radiator. to me the guys are retarded. and since the engine is off the interior heater is only gonna cool off whats in the heater core. just leave ur car off or run a switch to ur fan and turn it on but to me its not worth the hassle.
you obviously didn't come from dsms... it's not a waste of time and a LOT of people run around ALL DAY LONG with their heater on for just this purpose. it's also a good indicator of when your cooling system fails cuz if the air starts coming out not hot, then you blew a hose somewhere.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

dont know much about this since we have no need for heaters here with 34 degree celcius temps here!lol

but it draws heat from the rad to heat the car...so it should reduce temps.