Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

If I am going to upgrade turbo does 9 makes sense over 8

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I am going to upgrade turbo does 9 makes sense over 8

If I am going to upgrade the turbo anyways, does it make any sense to go out and buy a 9 over and 8? Also I am evo retarded (I am a small bloack v-8 guy) what is mivec? and can it be upgraded in a 8?
Old Jun 9, 2006, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

if u're going to upgrade turbo's, dont bother going to the IX turbo, just get an aftermarket turbo.

mivec is mitsubishi's variable valve timing. it improves torque delivery thus reducing turbo lag.

stock for stock the IX's slightly bigger turbo and MIVEC will produce more power. same with mild mods....the IX's are producing the same power as a VIII with cams..

however if u're going to do more than mild mods and upgrade turbo's, don't waste ur money on a IX turbo. gt35r will make u a very happy man

btw, search. i'm being nice, but i'm not sure others would be as nice as i am...
Old Jun 9, 2006, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

no you will not add mivec to a evo 8.

mivec is valve timing stuff. helps spool. the 9 has better coolant flow and other things making it a little better. if you can afford the 9 get it. its better.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
if u're going to upgrade turbo's, dont bother going to the IX turbo, just get an aftermarket turbo.

mivec is mitsubishi's variable valve timing. it improves torque delivery thus reducing turbo lag.

stock for stock the IX's slightly bigger turbo and MIVEC will produce more power. same with mild mods....the IX's are producing the same power as a VIII with cams..

however if u're going to do more than mild mods and upgrade turbo's, don't waste ur money on a IX turbo. gt35r will make u a very happy man

btw, search. i'm being nice, but i'm not sure others would be as nice as i am...

i believe he is talking about the WHOLE car.... then upgrading the turbo from there. he thought the only difference was the the turbo size on the VIII to the IX, and Mivec which he didnt know anything about.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 02:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter
i believe he is talking about the WHOLE car.... then upgrading the turbo from there. he thought the only difference was the the turbo size on the VIII to the IX, and Mivec which he didnt know anything about.
wow, after reading the original post...i think i interpreted his sentence completely wrong

but i think what i said still holds true.....if he wanna upgrade turbo to get big power from either car, a 04+VIII would do just fine IMO (acd for handling)

if minor bolt-on and reflash then def. get the IX.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
wow, after reading the original post...i think i interpreted his sentence completely wrong

but i think what i said still holds true.....if he wanna upgrade turbo to get big power from either car, a 04+VIII would do just fine IMO (acd for handling)

if minor bolt-on and reflash then def. get the IX.
04's did not have ACD. If you want ACD, you'll have to get an 05 or a IX. The IX will be able to put out a bit more power than the VIII. It has revised coolant passages that help with knock prevention and the MIVEC that will help spool and power delivery.

-Paul
Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Go IX, MIVEC allows quicker spooling of the turbo, no matter what turbo (within reason) you will boost a wee bit sooner then the VIII w/o MIVEC.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 08:41 AM

acd vs non acd (03-04)... advantages tractionwise worth an extra 4-5k?
Old Jun 9, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

^no. but if you can, go for the 9. Theyre absolute monsters. I know someone who has a 9 and with a flash and catless turboback exhaust he got 348 wheel torque and 348 wheel hp...insane potential. i have less hp and much less tq and i have cams.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by saleen281
acd vs non acd (03-04)... advantages tractionwise worth an extra 4-5k?
I'd say based on traction ALONE, no, especially since you live in California, where we mostly get sunshine with an occasional shower. The average driver won't be able to tell the difference between the handling. But it's the whole package together that makes it worth the price difference... you're forgetting about a lot of things, like the increases in hp, torque, and modability. Evos are beasts, just go for the IX. It's a supercar out of the box.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 08:53 AM

Ok guys you have me deceided... now find me one for under 28.5 and Ill take it now.... need at leat 2k to mod it right away... puts me right at my 30 mark... 11's here I come (which is a step down from near ten's in the saleen but Im sure you guys can help me get there with a gt35r
Old Jun 9, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Talk to Mark from South Coast Mitsubishi, located in Costa Mesa. He has been offering incredible deals to everyone, I got mine through him for a really good price. His member name is evolution_4_all. That amount you listed will definitely get you a brand new Evo IX RS (which is more track-oriented since it loses the carbon-fiber wing, ABS, audio system, and various power accessories), but a little bit more will get you a regular Evo IX that comes with all that stuff standard.

Although a stock Evo won't be in the 10s right away like your current car, it'll do things your old car could never do and provide you with confidence-inspiring handling that you never thought was possible.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Get the IX + TBE + Vishnu flash and you wont be in a hurry to upgrade the turbo. You get seriously low HP return on your investment after the flash and TBE that make it hard(er) to justify.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the major power adder to the IX is the turbo itself! Read here what al posted about it..https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...84#post3165184 Yes its worth the upgrade!

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Yes 2005

Today at lime rock track the car showed amazing power on the track. The G force readings were totally shocking when comparing it to the last turbo.

I was very suprized to see the gains with just the turbo

Last edited by EVIL_EVO_VIII; Jun 9, 2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:49 AM

Cant afford 9 guys... and its tough to find 05's for a decent price... so what would you if you deided to buy a modified 03 (that you knew was extremely reputable) and had alittle cash left over to help to make up for the discrepencies between the 02 and the 06... this car has tbe, intake, 770cc, walburro, cams, cam gears, retune, etc... running like low 400 whp... still stock turb and non acd diff....obviously...no mivec... any compensations or just slap the gt35r and give it some fuel and meth and let it rip?

Quick Reply: If I am going to upgrade turbo does 9 makes sense over 8